Joanne Boyle - HOF Human Being | The Boneyard

Joanne Boyle - HOF Human Being

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Joanne Boyle, who retired Tuesday after seven seasons at the helm of the University of Virginia's women's basketball program, likely will never become a hall of fame coach. But that's OK. To me she is -- and always will be -- a hall of fame human being.

Here's why: In October of 2002, Boyle was very nearly late for her first practice as the new head coach at the University of Richmond. As she drove toward the Robins Center, she saw an elderly man in distress on the shoulder of College Road. He had slipped on loose gravel and fallen. He could not climb to his feet. Boyle stopped to assist. She helped the man into her car and drove him to his home. He asked to be taken into the TV room. Once there, he asked that the television be tuned to NBC for that afternoon's Notre Dame football game. Boyle did as the man requested. She made certain that he was comfortable and calm before leaving for practice.

Then she did something remarkable. She returned after practice to not only check on the man but also to watch some of the football game with him. I know this because I knew the man. He was my father.

Good luck and Godspeed, Joanne. You're something special.

-- Vic Dorr (via Facebook)

Reaction Score
WOW! That says so, so very much of who she is and what her priorities were and I'd bet still are.
Stopping to take the time to help someone in need should be at the core of each and every one of us. Doing so, when it can negatively affect you personally is unfortunately, outstanding and way too rare.
Returning to check on that same person later and actually spending your time with them almost leaves me breathless. But it's also the basis of something most of us learn (or should have) which is do unto others as you would like.....
Hopefully she will never need someone to assist her in a similar or very different manner, but I strongly wish, it comes back. One doesn't do this type of thing because they want or expect that, but it sure would be nice.
Thanks so much for posting this personal experience with what must be an exceptional human being, and a model we should also strive for throughout our lives.
Bronx23

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Here's an article on Joanne Boyle and the situation regarding she and her daughter.

When Boyle announced her resignation, I was not sure to make of it: from a basketball perspective, I thought she had under-performed and was in a "maybe yes, maybe no" situation at UVA, particularly given there was a new AD. On the other hand someone (I believe CamrnCrz1974) pointed out the numerous issues she's been having with her family. This one with her daughter is simply a nightmare. Leaving behind all basketball issues, I wish her the best and that the timeline is much sooner, rather than later.

She coached her team to the NCAA tournament. Then she quit, for her daughter.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Joanne Boyle, who retired Tuesday after seven seasons at the helm of the University of Virginia's women's basketball program, likely will never become a hall of fame coach. But that's OK. To me she is -- and always will be -- a hall of fame human being.

Here's why: In October of 2002, Boyle was very nearly late for her first practice as the new head coach at the University of Richmond. As she drove toward the Robins Center, she saw an elderly man in distress on the shoulder of College Road. He had slipped on loose gravel and fallen. He could not climb to his feet. Boyle stopped to assist. She helped the man into her car and drove him to his home. He asked to be taken into the TV room. Once there, he asked that the television be tuned to NBC for that afternoon's Notre Dame football game. Boyle did as the man requested. She made certain that he was comfortable and calm before leaving for practice.

Then she did something remarkable. She returned after practice to not only check on the man but also to watch some of the football game with him. I know this because I knew the man. He was my father.

Good luck and Godspeed, Joanne. You're something special.

-- Vic Dorr (via Facebook)

Per another exchange you and I had, I just read a Washington Post article on the situation with her daughter, which I posted now. Thanks for bringing to our attention. All the best to her.....

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Per another exchange you and I had, I just read a Washington Post article on the situation with her daughter, which I posted now. Thanks for bringing to our attention. All the best to her.....
There is also a separate thread on the WaPo article.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Good for Boyle. Good luck to her in her future plans - sportscasting? She's got to be better than Andy Landers.
From the WaPo article that has been linked to, I got that she might be out of the country for an indefinite amount of time. And yes, has to be better than Andy...most anybody would be.

Sakibomb25

Yamasaki Let the Good Times Roll
Reaction Score
Well I would expect her to continue coaching once she returns and figures things out after the adoption is finalized.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
We often confuse coaches ability to win games and match their pay/program status as who they are, which is obviously NEVER the case. In Joanne Boyle’s case, she might not have lived up to the expectation set at Virginia when she took the position. And while some have questioned why the school would renew/extend her contract (me included), the fact she didn’t win as many games as hoped has NO BEARING on the type of person she is or what kind of character she has. I tip my hat to her and wish her nothing but the best.

Reaction Score
We often confuse coaches ability to win games and match their pay/program status as who they are, which is obviously NEVER the case. In Joanne Boyle’s case, she might not have lived up to the expectation set at Virginia when she took the position. And while some have questioned why the school would renew/extend her contract (me included), the fact she didn’t win as many games as hoped has NO BEARING on the type of person she is or what kind of character she has. I tip my hat to her and wish her nothing but the best.
This is so true. We confuse success in their chosen occupation with success as a human being. Following her career at Cal, I never thought she was a good coach, but she certainly was a good and also successful human being. The legacy we leave on this earth is nothing compared to the spirit we take with us.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Update on Joanne Boyle and the next step in in the adoption process.

"What must happen for Joanne Boyle to finalize the adoption of Ngoty?

"The key step to move the adoption forward is consular processing by the U.S. Embassy in Dakar, Senegal. An investigation is needed. One option, humanitarian parole, would allow that investigation to happen while Boyle and Ngoty remain in the United States.

"Otherwise the investigation would occur in Dakar and would extend their time there. The investigation involves making sure the adoption followed the law of Senegal with no hint of fraud. Consular processing also requires adopted children pass a physical exam, which would be done in Dakar. At the end of consular processing, Ngoty would be given a visa to return to the United States.

"Six to 12 weeks after returning to their home in Virginia, a Certificate of Citizenship for Ngoty is expected to arrive via mail."

Boyle fighting to finalize adoption of 6-year-old daughter

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Update on Joanne Boyle and the next step in in the adoption process.

"What must happen for Joanne Boyle to finalize the adoption of Ngoty?

"The key step to move the adoption forward is consular processing by the U.S. Embassy in Dakar, Senegal. An investigation is needed. One option, humanitarian parole, would allow that investigation to happen while Boyle and Ngoty remain in the United States.

"Otherwise the investigation would occur in Dakar and would extend their time there. The investigation involves making sure the adoption followed the law of Senegal with no hint of fraud. Consular processing also requires adopted children pass a physical exam, which would be done in Dakar. At the end of consular processing, Ngoty would be given a visa to return to the United States.

"Six to 12 weeks after returning to their home in Virginia, a Certificate of Citizenship for Ngoty is expected to arrive via mail."

Boyle fighting to finalize adoption of 6-year-old daughter
Thanks for the update, Cam!

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Actually, I like Andy. He’s a bit verbose, but I think he has good insights.

I like Foghorn Leghorn, also, but not as a basketball announcer.

Back to Boyle, I hope she gets everything straightened out with the adoption and can return to coaching.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom