Joan Joyce - OT | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Joan Joyce - OT

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
First, let me be clear, I have the highest respect for Joan Joyce and her accomplishments. But striking out major league baseball players is overblown, IMHO. There is a big difference between hitting a ball thrown from 60.5 feet away, versus 43 feet away, less given the height of the pitcher and her release point.

I always wondered if Joyce ever pitched against members of the Raybestos Cardinals, the men's fast pitch team. Those guys were really good at hitting fast pitch softballs.
I was interested in checking the time from rubber to batter between 77 MPH women's softball pitch at 46' and for a 100 MPH fastball at 60'6" - it ends up being almost identical to six 1000th of a second (.406 vs .413 sec). Of course neither baseball or softball pitchers release the ball at the rubber, but I am not sure what the actual relative distances would be but suspect they would add to the softball's relative speed.

But I agree, totally different games with different dynamics on both bat and ball and clearly hitting in softball is at a much greater premium than in baseball - no baseball pitcher has ever had the type of seasons softball pitchers have routinely.

Reaction Score
This is sad. I know no one lives forever. She was awesome. Today she would make millions In endorsements.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I was interested in checking the time from rubber to batter between 77 MPH women's softball pitch at 46' and for a 100 MPH fastball at 60'6" - it ends up being almost identical to six 1000th of a second (.406 vs .413 sec). Of course neither baseball or softball pitchers release the ball at the rubber, but I am not sure what the actual relative distances would be but suspect they would add to the softball's relative speed.

But I agree, totally different games with different dynamics on both bat and ball and clearly hitting in softball is at a much greater premium than in baseball - no baseball pitcher has ever had the type of seasons softball pitchers have routinely.
When I coached High School softball, I had the chance to take my pitcher to a clinic run by Joyce, so I got to see her up close. Her windmill style allowed her to rub the ball against her thigh during delivery, affecting the spin. Joyce was able to make the ball break four different ways, up or down, in or out. Given that you had to start your swing as soon as possible, you literally had no chance against her. But again, I would be curious to know how an experienced male softball hitter would do against her.

Reaction Score
The greatest athlete Connecticut has produced in ANY ( m or f) sport died in Florida yesterday at the age of 81. DOMINATED softball through ‘60’s and ‘70’s and when she tired of that went on the LPGA tour for 18 years - try that.Also a tremendous basketball and volleyball player. From Waterbury. A loss for the world of sport.
Since she was pretty much a hero of mine I will relay a few of my favorites stories
I got to know a number of guys from Waterbury in college who grew up with her and here brother Apparently all the Boys in LL knew even at 12 she was the best pitcher in the city.As she had played sandlot like kids all over the country did in those days. . LL was pretty new and she wasn’t allowed to play. The Boys on the Waterbury all-star team hatched a plot where she would pretend to be her brother . They swore she would have pitched them to Williamsport.
I was a BB junkie /gym rat. Who would go to any interesting game nearby.bum a ride hitchhike or walk if I had to.
As luck would have it The Ansonia Norwood AC and the Milford Chiefs developed a rivalry that escalated as outside the area ringers were brought in . The Ansonia team brought in two former All American giants who were banned from the NBA and rumor had it Wilt Chamberlin who was in a contract dispute was going to be added to the Chiefs lineup. He didn’t show.
We were all surprised the preliminary game was between two women’s semi pro teams.
The local team was lead by Joan Joyce who even then as teenager already was a star in softball.
I can tell you she had a great handle saw the court well and had a pretty 18 -20 ft legitimate jump shot and scored 27 points in a win as well as hitting teammates with crisp passes. She would be starting for any team in the NCAA . Think Diana Taurasi good . She was born at the wrong time for women’s BB
What she was born at the right time for is the heyday of fast pitch softball and living near Stratford Ct it’s epicenter . Where she became a living legend. We all know her great career .
My final story pertains to an event that took place long after she retired while she was coaching .
The US Women‘s Olympic team was putting on an exhibition close by. That team had gotten extensive television coverage and were idols to her young players. As a treat she took her team.
When they got there it wasn’t just her kids that were gushing with excitement as much as it was the veteran US Olympic team’s excitement at the prospect of meeting the legendary Joan Joyce. Her players knew she was good ,but she was coach to them , they we amazed at the reaction.
RIP Joanie one of my boyhood idols

Reaction Score
I attended the world softball tournament that was held in Stamford Ct in the late 70's. Joan Joyce pitched for the USA against Japan for the title.Amazing mechanics, speed and different assortment of pitches. Japan couldn't touch her. USA won. Watching her was thrilling. Joan during an exhibition pitched to Paul Blair of the orioles. He couldn't get a hit. I don't think he even fouled off any balls. She was one of a kind!
That was my and Mrs. Hamsters first date. We were 17?

Reaction Score
When I coached High School softball, I had the chance to take my pitcher to a clinic run by Joyce, so I got to see her up close. Her windmill style allowed her to rub the ball against her thigh during delivery, affecting the spin. Joyce was able to make the ball break four different ways, up or down, in or out. Given that you had to start your swing as soon as possible, you literally had no chance against her. But again, I would be curious to know how an experienced male softball hitter would do against her.
Serious question: how much faster do men throw? Same distance to the plate? She seems to be throwing like a Nolan Ryan.

Reaction Score
First, let me be clear, I have the highest respect for Joan Joyce and her accomplishments. But striking out major league baseball players is overblown, IMHO. There is a big difference between hitting a ball thrown from 60.5 feet away, versus 43 feet away, less given the height of the pitcher and her release point.

I always wondered if Joyce ever pitched against members of the Raybestos Cardinals, the men's fast pitch team. Those guys were really good at hitting fast pitch softballs.
Not only that but the underhand fast pitch motion with a softball enables the pitcher to put a tremendous amount of forward spin on the ball, and utilizes all of the pitchers fingers in imparting the forward spin. This underhand motion is next to impossible to do with the smaller hardball used in baseball.

Reaction Score
I read all the posts here but none mention the record that Joan holds in golf. In 18 holes she holds the record for least amount of putts, 17. Whether man or woman, nobody has come close.

Interested in reading more about Joan, My very good friend, Tony Renzoni, has written a bio of Joan, check it out on Amazon.

Reaction Score
The greatest athlete Connecticut has produced in ANY ( m or f) sport died in Florida yesterday at the age of 81. DOMINATED softball through ‘60’s and ‘70’s and when she tired of that went on the LPGA tour for 18 years - try that.Also a tremendous basketball and volleyball player. From Waterbury. A loss for the world of sport.
She is the greatest female athlete in American history period. BTW it's not just the LPGA record for fewest putts in a professional round of golf. No male has shot that low either and she took up golf in her mid 30's as kind of a side sport. Did someone mention the most points ever in an AAU woman's basketball tourney
game in a sport she just thought she'd try. Look up her bowling, and volleyball exploits. Its a shame people don't know about her.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom