Jim Nantz to Retire from March Madness in 2023 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Jim Nantz to Retire from March Madness in 2023

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I will "like" anything, Brockmire.
Just finished bingeing it a 2nd time. Missed a lot of jokes 1st time. I have to think a lot of scenes required multiple takes due to the other actors breaking up laughing.

Reaction Score
Ian Eagle is worthy of such a gig. His interview on Craig Kilborn’s podcast is a good listen

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
I’ll miss him nostalgically, but smart move: he doesn’t want to get Costased.

Love Eagle. Been a fan since he started on the FAN.
why not use Richard Neer? Then we can get some rock and roll references in to the broadcast?

Or how about the teams?
Coal man and the soul man ( Ed Coleman and Dave sims)

what about the sweater and the schmoozer? (Salzburg and Somers) .

Why not Mike Breen?

My choice is Warner Wolf. If not him then Jody McDonald!

just as long as its not fatso and fruitloops or the bird man Ian

Reaction Score
I have never liked Nance. He is as vanilla as they come -- and when he tries to up his energy level it still seems like "being juiced up."

Ian is just fine, but I happen to like Gus Johnson.

It's like humor. Everyone's a little different. Just went and saw the Steve Martin & Martin Short stage show. Yes they are getting old, but they still cracked me up. Later I told a friend & he told me he "hated those guys." Different crappers for different asses I guess...:cool:

Reaction Score
I have never liked Nance. He is as vanilla as they come -- and when he tries to up his energy level it still seems like "being juiced up."

Ian is just fine, but I happen to like Gus Johnson.

It's like humor. Everyone's a little different. Just went and saw the Steve Martin & Martin Short stage show. Yes they are getting old, but they still cracked me up. Later I told a friend & he told me he "hated those guys." Different crappers for different asses I guess...:cool:
Vanilla is a good decription for Nance, which is fine. It's okay to be vanilla when there's so many other announcers running with a shtick or overhyping basic plays but I always got the sense the national championship was the first game of the season Nance was watching even if it wasn't.

Reaction Score
No issues with Nantz but Eagle is the better play-by-play guy in both basketball and football. I was hoping TNT gave him the #1 spot for the NBA when Marv Albert retired because Kevin Harlan is starting to show the same signs of slippage as Marv did before he fell off of a cliff.
Maybe on Kevin Harlan and he always probably oversold it a bit but he might have the best announcer voice ever.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Folks, ya gotta believe, ’cause just when people say you can’t, you can, and UConn has won a national championship, in its first attempt in a final.
- maybe not exact, but that is how I recall after we won our first. He is a legend
Yep and SI ran with UCan UConn

Reaction Score
Yep and SI ran with UCan UConn
1666797682011.png

Reaction Score
Sux. Won’t be the same without him. I wonder why? It’s only for a few weeks in march. It always seemed like when he was doing a game- no matter how weak the match up - it was a big game. Hands down best around. glad he’s still doing nfl at least

Reaction Score
Btw, Nantz is a closet UConn fan. Lived (still lives?) in Greenwich. At the 2003 Final Four we were staying at the same hotel as the CBS people (Intercontinental) and he saw my UConn polo shirt and came over to me, pointed at the logo on my shirt, and said, "They should be here." I said next year was our year and he agreed and we talked for a minute that if Okafor and Gordon were back UConn was winning it all. I tried looking for him on the River Walk in San Antonio to say we were right but I never did see him.

Reaction Score
"Sometimes when you think you can't, you can, and UCONN has won the national championship."

-- 3/11/99

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
"Sometimes when you think you can't, you can, and UCONN has won the national championship."

-- 3/11/99
I never liked that line. Sounds like he tried too hard to come up with witty wordplay. Always sounded cringey to me.

Reaction Score
Jay loves/respects JC and the UConn Program.. He'll shoot straight and show some love for DH.. Our time is comin'

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom