Jim Mora on Rome show | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Jim Mora on Rome show

Reaction Score
We’ll just have to see what this man is really about. Passion for creating his own mark on a program or passion for collecting more $$.
He did come right out and say it's not about chasing the dollar. I have attended all his Husky Walks and his mantra is constantly "bring the energy" while fist bumping and shaking hands. I think just like turning the program around he wants to do the same with the fan base.
Yes one follows the other but he took on one of the toughest jobs in division one for many reasons and I don't think he was looking for it to be a stepping stone.
Mora frosting on the cake of his career and possibly be on our Mount Rushmore of coaches.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Rome called him Mora Jr multiple times. And it's listed on the show link.

Seriously...when random CBSSN announcer with training wheels says it....it's understandable. Rome should know better.

I know....who cares...but it's a pet peeve of mine.

Reaction Score
"The big thing was that I don't want to jump around. I'm tired of doing that. More than anything, I feel like I'm done trying to climb and having it be more about me. Maybe it's because I'm older now [53 in November]. I want to be somewhere. I want to have an effect on other people, and I made a commitment to these kids."

"I made a commitment to these kids. They made a commitment to me," Mora said. "I'm not going to run out on them. You're always trying to teach them these lessons. I know it sounds really corny. But you try to teach them how to be good men and you start telling them all these things and demanding things from them, and then all of a sudden, you just turn and run from them?

1668744753562.gif

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Everyone in media calls him Jim Mora Jr--not because that's his "official" name, but because they simply want to differentiate him from his Dad. If he disapproved he'd correct the interviewer. He never has.
Because he doesn't want to be a jerk.

Reaction Score
Everyone in media calls him Jim Mora Jr--not because that's his "official" name, but because they simply want to differentiate him from his Dad. If he disapproved he'd correct the interviewer. He never has.

Because he doesn't want to be a jerk.
I think it’s because he’s proud of his dad. I’m sure he’d be delighted to be Jim Mora Jr. It isn’t a big deal.

Reaction Score
Where are the He is not a “Jr” police? Rome had Jim Mora Jr plastered up on the interview.
I am part of that Jr. police force. I get tired of pointing that one to everyone. I did tweet to the Jim Rome show however. Call me Jr. police and whatever else you want to call me. WGAS. I hate lazy journalism and that is a prime example of that. Coach Mora is too polite or nice to correct this or maybe he is sick of trying or as others have said because he want to be associated with his father and that is the official name.

Reaction Score
Rome called him Mora Jr multiple times. And it's listed on the show link.

Seriously...when random CBSSN announcer with training wheels says it....it's understandable. Rome should know better.

I know....who cares...but it's a pet peeve of mine.
I really am curious. Does HCJM actually consider himself a Junior, is it something he has been called his whole life? I know their names are different but maybe he goes by Junior. I need to know.

I get the sense he wants to accomplish something more than just getting the best job. He's working with kids he says are not entitled. He has hired all young coaches. UCONN Football has a ton of upside and he can make it a reality. He can build a large coaching tree. Those are legacies to work towards.

Reaction Score
Feel pretty good about him staying but if we don't agree to pony up for assistants, recruiting budget, his own salary etc. I would leave if I was him too. Like any smart negotiator he is creating leverage (you should all take notes for your own personal work situations).

I would just be very surprised at his age and with what he's accomplished that he would elect to move again and put himself into a pressure cooker job at a bottom tier P5 school, unless he really really misses the west coast. Time will tell!

Reaction Score
No real information in that answer about taking phone calls. Nice to have the program represented on Rome. He does sound very happy with the situation in Storrs. And it sounds like he genuinely cares about the kids and the coaching staff.

Jim has created a little world of his own at UConn. He is lord and master of all he surveys. And he probably feels a great deal of responsibility to those he has hired and those who play for him.

The one thing UConn has going for it is that this isn't Mora's first rodeo. He knows the grass may look greener but often fails to deliver. He has lived it. He knows what he has here. And its pretty darn good.

Reaction Score
Feel pretty good about him staying but if we don't agree to pony up for assistants, recruiting budget, his own salary etc. I would leave if I was him too. Like any smart negotiator he is creating leverage (you should all take notes for your own personal work situations).

I would just be very surprised at his age and with what he's accomplished that he would elect to move again and put himself into a pressure cooker job at a bottom tier P5 school, unless he really really misses the west coast. Time will tell!
He has done it before: Why Jim Mora spurned Texas to stay at UCLA

Reaction Score
No UConn fan is hoping he leaves to win an internet argument. It’s just that people have insisted there’s no chance he’ll leave, which obviously was never true. He had the opportunity to say to plain words that he’s staying, and he didn’t. Maybe he’s creating leverage for negotiations?
Disagree. There are hard-core cynics who think coaches and people always chase the bigger dollar

Reaction Score
Disagree. There are hard-core cynics who think coaches and people always chase the bigger dollar
Not that success doesn't create opportunity that should be looked at and always will in this crazy coaching carousal world of big money CFB. But here's a little more insight into Mora's thinking before he started in an interview with former UVA and NFL'er Chris Long. Regarding his "ego and hunting around for other jobs". Starts at about the 10:00 min mark:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I know Mora came out of nowhere last season and was hired by UConn, but the majority of the articles about the Colorado job do not even mention Mora as a possibility. Good sign.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom