Jim Mora on Rome show | The Boneyard

Jim Mora on Rome show

Reaction Score

Good interview. Asked whether he would take a job, sounds pretty open to it. Skip to the 8:30 mark if you’re interested.

730ish Mark... Goes on about loyalty and turning down 5 jobs while at UCLA. Y'all are going to kill yourselves waiting for him to bolt. Just enjoy the ride and wait to see what happens. No one here is going to be able to change what happens.

Reaction Score
I like to think he’s at a different point in his life. He could have gotten a bigger job if he threw his hat in the ring. He liked some things UConn had to offer, including the location. Coaches never say, “I’m not leaving, don’t call me.” They leverage other jobs for more pay and resources.

Reaction Score
Hmmm interesting response and very calculated. I didn’t listen to that and think he’s gonna bolt. Sounds like whoever calls, he’ll let them speak. But I believe him when he talks about being loyal to those that put their trust in him. I think he’ll stay, but if not, it’s been a helluva season, can’t complain about that.

Reaction Score
Hmmm interesting response and very calculated. I didn’t listen to that and think he’s gonna bolt. Sounds like whoever calls, he’ll let them speak. But I believe him when he talks about being loyal to those that put their trust in him. I think he’ll stay, but if not, it’s been a helluva season, can’t complain about that.
Yes, I got this feeling too.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
The copium in this thread will be something. Pray Colorado doesn’t call.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
^^ This ^^

It’s like some people are wishing it happens so they can say “see”…
No UConn fan is hoping he leaves to win an internet argument. It’s just that people have insisted there’s no chance he’ll leave, which obviously was never true. He had the opportunity to say to plain words that he’s staying, and he didn’t. Maybe he’s creating leverage for negotiations?

Reaction Score
No UConn fan is hoping he leaves to win an internet argument. It’s just that people have insisted there’s no chance he’ll leave, which obviously was never true. He had the opportunity to say to plain words that he’s staying, and he didn’t. Maybe he’s creating leverage for negotiations?
Tbh no coach would ever say that.

Reaction Score
The copium in this thread will be something. Pray Colorado doesn’t call.
If Colorado calls he’ll say thanks but no thanks. Colorado fired a coach of the yr winner...Mora knows if he doesn’t win there within 3 yrs he’s fired too.

Reaction Score
This has always stuck out to me. Texas threw everything at him and he turned them down. Even his alma mater reached out and he said no.

During those conversations, Texas offered to send a private jet to pick up Mora's parents, and anybody else he wanted, and bring them to all of the Longhorns' games.

"I'm like, 'Is there a bottom to your bucket?'" Mora said he remembers thinking at the time.

But the more he thought about it, the more he kept coming back to one central theme: He finally felt at home with his entire family, and it certainly helped that UCLA's administration stepped up to the plate and made a significant financial commitment to both Mora and his staff.

Keep in mind that Texas wasn't the only school wooing him. Washington, Mora's alma mater, also had made a run a few weeks earlier.

Reaction Score
I’m a guy that has learned over my life/career to “never say never” but I thought his spin towards the loyalty discussion to the kids and David Benedict and giving back to the younger coaches was more interesting than a milquetoast pledge of not leaving. Look, Mora is a PR/Media professional - he’s not likely to get cornered.

Enjoy the adventure… we are in a better place after one year.

Reaction Score
"The big thing was that I don't want to jump around. I'm tired of doing that. More than anything, I feel like I'm done trying to climb and having it be more about me. Maybe it's because I'm older now [53 in November]. I want to be somewhere. I want to have an effect on other people, and I made a commitment to these kids."

"I made a commitment to these kids. They made a commitment to me," Mora said. "I'm not going to run out on them. You're always trying to teach them these lessons. I know it sounds really corny. But you try to teach them how to be good men and you start telling them all these things and demanding things from them, and then all of a sudden, you just turn and run from them?

Reaction Score
I’m a guy that has learned over my life/career to “never say never” but I thought his spin towards the loyalty discussion to the kids and David Benedict and giving back to the younger coaches was more interesting than a milquetoast pledge of not leaving. Look, Mora is a PR/Media professional - he’s not likely to get cornered.

Enjoy the adventure… we are in a better place after one year.
I agree and like the UCLA story I think this is a ploy to get more investment which he has called for

Reaction Score
We’ll just have to see what this man is really about. Passion for creating his own mark on a program or passion for collecting more $$.

Reaction Score
My naive vision: the Huskies win at Michie on Saturday to wrap up a bowl bid and as the team sings Happy Birthday (61) to him post-game a tearful Mora makes an commitment to see this thing through to the end.
Nah. We’ll hear a lot of things over the next month or so and I think he’ll commit to us more openly in December of January. First, he’s got to shake the school down for some money to keep the staff together and hire a DC.

Reaction Score
I agree and like the UCLA story I think this is a ploy to get more investment which he has called for
10000%. It's good for UConn fans that he takes calls from other programs and can then bring those offers and interest to UConn officials and the state of Connecticut and use that as leverage to get the money he wants for assistant coaches and recruiting. He has yet to ask for a bigger salary (publicly), which points towards him wanting to win more than he wants to make additional money. He's made 10s of millions in his career and I'm sure will get a huge raise if we get invited to a P5 conference plus we can certainly add in large bonuses for 10+ wins seasons (Ex. 500k for 10 wins + 200k for each win after that) or 1 million for a playoff bid etc that rewards success.

Reaction Score
I like to think he’s at a different point in his life. He could have gotten a bigger job if he threw his hat in the ring. He liked some things UConn had to offer, including the location. Coaches never say, “I’m not leaving, don’t call me.” They leverage other jobs for more pay and resources.

That’s wishful thinking.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
730ish Mark... Goes on about loyalty and turning down 5 jobs while at UCLA. Y'all are going to kill yourselves waiting for him to bolt. Just enjoy the ride and wait to see what happens. No one here is going to be able to change what happens.
He learned his lesson if I had to guess after he got bounced at UCLA, he’ll be here for a stretch.. IMO

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom