Jim Mora extension | The Boneyard

Jim Mora extension

Reaction Score
Now you might say that this could be premature, but hear me out.

Mora’s performance is on the radar now. Last season of there were 130 FBS teams then we would be ranked 131st.

Jobs like ASU and CU are open. He’s a west coast guy.

Do we need to do something about securing him here? Just something to think about.

Reaction Score
I been thinking about this. Mora has said this will be his last job, but you're right for a west coast guy those are ideal jobs. I believe if anything he would be seeking raises for his assistants. I think if UConn ever gets to where it pays it's coordinators 500k they would be rare air for a G5 program. That said it, it may be a bit premature.

Reaction Score
With the hockey team's success, the history of both the men's & women's hoops teams, just the general success of the athletic department as a whole, along with the upgrades in facilities, David Benedict's name could be in play as well. A Doomsday scenario of losing both the athletic director & the head football coach to better paying opportunities is not out of the question. But I'm no Chicken Little crying about the sky falling.

Reaction Score
Mora deserves a raise for sure. Leery of a contract extension. Let's not forget how the Ollie extension (coming off a championship) and Diaco (coming off a bowl berth) worked out for us.

But for Dave Benedict - lock him up for life.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
unnecessary concern.
obviously, mr. mora examined his life recently, and decided the next chapter was going to be aboot doing something for fun, and no longer just aboot career ladders. UConn fit his criteria perfectly, and so he decided 'yeah, im doing that.' a gentle float down the river of semi-retirement, with enough juice to make him want to get out of bed in the morning to coach up some young folks, mebbe win some big games, and, all around, do something worth his while, and have a blast in trying.
mebbe, just mebbe, his attitude could change if the world, watching his results, came along and offered a pantload of jingle to grab him, but i doubt it. even if it was gumby gold, i still doubt it cuz for smart people, peace of mind is priceless. i think that geno's situation (he could go anywhere and get paid fort knox cash) is a guiding light for coach mora.
the guy never seems edgy and always projects quiet confidence.
classy.

and you're confused on which way to go,
so i've come here, to give you a hand,
and lead you into,
the promised land.

we've gotta do better,
it's time to begin.
you know all the answers,
must come from within.

he wins.
we win.
it's a free ride, all around.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Hopefully the cold New England winters don’t send him back to the West Coast. But if he’s been living in Montana, the cold may not bother him.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
After the Ollie fiasco no premature contract extensions for anybody ever again.

Maybe a bit of apples and oranges here. Mora has a track record as a head coach that Ollie never had.

It's a question worth asking and it's worth trying to get ahead with conversations on how much and how long of an extension. Also definitely need to find out what he wants in terms of facilities, coaching staff salaries, future opponents, etc. We know he wants a bigger walk-on squad for practices during the season.

Reaction Score
I'm sure there are agreements behind closed doors that if UConn gets into a good conference that Mora gets a huge pay raise. Everyone is in "just win" mode for the next 2-3 years and then that could definitely happen depending on how re-alignment plays out. I also think for Mora that having a lot of money allocated to keep assistant coaches is probably as important as his own salary because having really good assistant coaches makes his job a lot easier and the continuity is very helpful with recruiting.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Mora's history suggests he isn't the kind of guy who is looking for the next thing. He is no Bobby Petrino.

But....they definitely should get Mora and his assistants more money. Anything they can do to maintain continuity on the coaching staff would be huge for recruiting.

Reaction Score
Honestly, I wouldn't expect Mora to stay here for a long time. He's a west coast guy with an optimistic west coast personality and we're a cynical bunch here in the Northeast. Would hate to see that wear on him. And as his stock goes back up with this culture change in the making at UConn, he's be a solid candidate for other Pac12 jobs as mentioned. Then again, if he says this will be his last coaching job, there's hope he'll stick around for awhile.

I'm hoping for at least 2-4 years from him. Anything more is gravy. If he continues to get UConn back to respectability, brings more fans back to the Rent, and makes UConn a desirable place for potential recruits - and decent coaches - to come to, then he will have done what we hoped he would do.

Reaction Score
UConn fans have been scarred by some premature extensions that have backfired. That being said, I'm not sure this one would be premature, Mora is the real deal and unlike the other examples actually has a track record prior

Reaction Score
Not to nitpick but the subject line makes it sound like we just extended him.
Perhaps add some kind of wrinkle to the subject line next time like “Should we extend Mora?”

Reaction Score
Honestly, I wouldn't expect Mora to stay here for a long time. He's a west coast guy with an optimistic west coast personality and we're a cynical bunch here in the Northeast. Would hate to see that wear on him. And as his stock goes back up with this culture change in the making at UConn, he's be a solid candidate for other Pac12 jobs as mentioned. Then again, if he says this will be his last coaching job, there's hope he'll stick around for awhile.

I'm hoping for at least 2-4 years from him. Anything more is gravy. If he continues to get UConn back to respectability, brings more fans back to the Rent, and makes UConn a desirable place for potential recruits - and decent coaches - to come to, then he will have done what we hoped he would do.
The only thing I can think of though is at his age this job is much less pressure. Does he feel he needs anything more to prove beyond taking a team no one could thought win and make them win? That would be a nice way to end your career and maintain your legacy. I think it’ll be harder to retain the assistants than it will be to retain him.

Reaction Score

That’s not what Mora is saying at all. His kids are in NYC and his wife likes the CT location. I think he’s going to get himself a statue on campus or at The Rent someday. He’s loving it and he doesn’t need money. Not only is he very wealthy, he’s an heir to wealthy parents. He’s after quality of life and time with his family at this point. He’s proving that it is actually a great job for a competent coach. People know the brand name, the facilities are good and the location is convenient. . On top of that, the fans are happy as pigs in shizz at 4-5. He’s the toast of the town. Not a hard life to take at 60 years old.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Also definitely need to find out what he wants in terms of facilities, coaching staff salaries, future opponents, etc. We know he wants a bigger walk-on squad for practices during the season.
I'll add that every time AD David Benedict talks to HCJM, the following question should be asked: "How is your family liking Connecticut?"

Happy wife, happy life. Just ask Ollie.

Reaction Score
unnecessary concern.
obviously, mr. mora examined his life recently, and decided the next chapter was going to be aboot doing something for fun, and no longer just aboot career ladders. UConn fit his criteria perfectly, and so he decided 'yeah, im doing that.' a gentle float down the river of semi-retirement, with enough juice to make him want to get out of bed in the morning to coach up some young folks, mebbe win some big games, and, all around, do something worth his while, and have a blast in trying.
mebbe, just mebbe, his attitude could change if the world, watching his results, came along and offered a pantload of jingle to grab him, but i doubt it. even if it was gumby gold, i still doubt it cuz for smart people, peace of mind is priceless. i think that geno's situation (he could go anywhere and get paid fort knox cash) is a guiding light for coach mora.
the guy never seems edgy and always projects quiet confidence.
classy.

and you're confused on which way to go,
so i've come here, to give you a hand,
and lead you into,
the promised land.

we've gotta do better,
it's time to begin.
you know all the answers,
must come from within.

he wins.
we win.
it's a free ride, all around.

Agreed. I was gonna say he is doing this more for fun than a career ladder. Thought he was living in Idaho and spending time in Ketchum (Sun Valley).

That said, I am sure AD David Bennett is well aware of what would be appropriate under the circumstances and will make that happen.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom