Jim Mora Expected to be Named HC | Page 27 | The Boneyard

Jim Mora Expected to be Named HC

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Not sure I want to continue the debate with someone who so glibly and deliberately mis-characterizes the statements of others, but I will give it one more try. Let me attempt this again stated as simply as possible.

If, UConn is still having 1-11, 2-10, or 3-9 seasons five years from now, it will face huge pressure to step back to FCS. And deservedly so.
1 - I think it is clear that you did want to continue.

2 - Shouldn't we wait until our new hire has had the opportunity to actually fail prior to planning on what to do after five years of failure?

I am confident that we won't have five more years of football at this level if after three seasons under Mora we have a) continued at our current level of ineptitude and b) have seen nothing to expect any more in the upcoming seasons. If what you are proposing is our fate, we should build a statue for RE to commemorate the miraculous accomplishment of his first run here as obviously you believe winning here is not a possibility.

Reaction Score
It takes a big investment to make the jump from FCS to FBS. There is more money to be made in FBS, but schools need the resources to be able to do it. They can't just snap their fingers and decide to be an FBS school.
Ah, but there are a plenty of FCS schools that do have the cash if they think they can get a good return on it by going to FBS. But somehow the business case does not seem to hold water unless there is a huge valuation placed on the publicity, much of which will be negative if they don't invest far more than intended to get competitive. Even if wealthy alums foot the bill for the initial investment.

Reaction Score
So, are you saying you were going to get to walking? Because you haven’t posted a single substantive thing in this thread.
Not sure you would know if I had or not if it hit you in the face. You have not spoken to the issue. So the question I have for you: will you want UConn to continue with FBS FB in five years if the record remains where it is today? Yes or No? It is a simple question and the one we are debating.

Reaction Score
1 - I think it is clear that you did want to continue.

2 - Shouldn't we wait until our new hire has had the opportunity to actually fail prior to planning on what to do after five years of failure?

I am confident that we won't have five more years of football at this level if after three seasons under Mora we have a) continued at our current level of ineptitude and b) have seen nothing to expect any more in the upcoming seasons. If what you are proposing is our fate, we should build a statue for RE to commemorate the miraculous accomplishment of his first run here as obviously you believe winning here is not a possibility.
The original post that I made questioned the wisdom of UConn remaining in FBS if they were not going to make a bigger commitment to the program than they were currently making. That got misconstrued to mean that UConn should step back to FCS immediately. Perhaps, but only if they were unwilling to increase their commitment.

So far, at a million five, it is not clear that they have increased their commitment. I am well aware that there are reasons that the HC salary is artificially low given the clawback provisions in many coaching severance packages. But lets see what the staff compensation looks like before we get all wildly enthusiastic that UConn has upped their game bigtime. That is not clear yet.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Not sure you would know if I had or not if it hit you in the face. You have not spoken to the issue. So the question I have for you: will you want UConn to continue with FBS FB in five years if the record remains where it is today? Yes or No? It is a simple question and the one we are debating.
it would depend on the facts and circumstances. But that’s not what we’re talking about. What we’re talking about is you pretending there’s some extrinsic evidence that supports your position. Whatever it is, you haven’t produced it yet.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The original post that I made questioned the wisdom of UConn remaining in FBS if they were not going to make a bigger commitment to the program than they were currently making. That got misconstrued to mean that UConn should step back to FCS immediately. Perhaps, but only if they were unwilling to increase their commitment.

So far, at a million five, it is not clear that they have increased their commitment. I am well aware that there are reasons that the HC salary is artificially low given the clawback provisions in many coaching severance packages. But lets see what the staff compensation looks like before we get all wildly enthusiastic that UConn has upped their game bigtime. That is not clear yet.
For openers, it is abundantly clear that despite your claim in the post I originally quoted, you do want to debate this. You're digging in and unfortunately (figuratively, not literally) you are going to die on this hill.

If I am reading your post correctly, somehow, if we were paying Mora an additional $750k-$1.0mm annually (and logically, taking that from the assistant pool) he would be a better coach.

Your entire argument is based on the notion that it is exceptionally unlikely that the next five years will be any different than the last five seasons were. I don't see how anyone can be so convinced that there is that small of a possibility that this guy can do better than who we had 2016 and who we had from 2017-2019 plus however you want to describe 2020 forward.

Please support your argument. Yes, you are correct in your belief that if we end up winning only 7-8 games in total during the next five football seasons we then should pack it in at this level. What needs support however is why you believe we will continue to be as inept once we are a few years into Mora's run as HC as we have been. Why do you believe this is the likely outcome?

Reaction Score
Ah, but there are a plenty of FCS schools that do have the cash if they think they can get a good return on it by going to FBS. But somehow the business case does not seem to hold water unless there is a huge valuation placed on the publicity, much of which will be negative if they don't invest far more than intended to get competitive. Even if wealthy alums foot the bill for the initial investment.

This is utter BS. What's your agenda.

AAU Stony Brook regularly beat Coastal Carolina & Liberty in the 2010-2012 seasons (they were in the same conference) and you can find an article and posts regretting not stepping up to FBS. Stony Brook has one of the better hospital systems in greater NYC - going all the way out to Southhampton; a 30,000 strong enrollment; a solid academic program across multiple schools. Solid Enrollment; solid endowment; less than vibrant school spirit. Find more students wearing Syracuse sweatshirts or Notre Dame. Why not them?

Here's what their President said (paraphrase - not exact quote) in 1995 - "This is important for us to reach to be a high profile sports playing University, It is not something we will gain from in the short term; it is a 30 year project and we will benefit hugely."

You know who went in that direction - beginning in the late 1980s - our University of Connecticut.

There are TWO AAU public universities NOT in the P5 - both SUNY: Buffalo + Stony Brook. This right here totally pushes back this nonsense you have been spouting for a month.

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
Mora is doing a great marketing job already. All these interviews are nice exposure. He's already been to a women's basketball game and introduced himself to everyone. Tonight he was at the men's game and did the same. They showed a video of him handing out hot chocolate to students in front of the arena. Dude seems all in on shifting public opinion of UConn football.

Reaction Score
Mora is doing a great marketing job already. All these interviews are nice exposure. He's already been to a women's basketball game and introduced himself to everyone. Tonight he was at the men's game and did the same. They showed a video of him handing out hot chocolate to students in front of the arena. Dude seems all in on shifting public opinion of UConn football.
This is big, was really happy to see he's trying to connect with the community and fanbase.

Reaction Score

AAU Stony Brook regularly beat Coastal Carolina & Liberty in the 2010-2012 seasons (they were in the same conference) and you can find an article and posts regretting not stepping up to FBS. Stony Brook has one of the better hospital systems in greater NYC - going all the way out to Southhampton; a 30,000 strong enrollment; a solid academic program across multiple schools. Solid Enrollment; solid endowment; less than vibrant school spirit. Find more students wearing Syracuse sweatshirts or Notre Dame. Why not them?

Here's what their President said (paraphrase - not exact quote) in 1995 - "This is important for us to reach to be a high profile sports playing University, It is not something we will gain from in the short term; it is a 30 year project and we will benefit hugely."

You know who went in that direction - beginning in the late 1980s - our University of Connecticut.

There are TWO AAU public universities NOT in the P5 - both SUNY: Buffalo + Stony Brook. This right here totally pushes back this nonsense you have been spouting for a month.
I apologize for me hammering home this point

Here's the Governor: “When people think about Connecticut, I’ve got to say that UConn Huskies are on top of the list in many ways,” Ned Lamont said. “We punch above our weight class, so to speak. Obviously basketball takes an enormous lead there. I think it casts a positive glow on the state. I want everyone to remember that UConn is one of the great public universities in the world. This is just one more aspect of it."

What we realized when we hang around the Boneyard is this ... we care about this University - we care about these sports. This FBS football is about keeping our University in the loop of the BEST. It is never about dollars & cents - "I'm a taxpayer" (and of course, the actual accounting is bizarre to that). We already Won - UConn hoop both WBB and MBB. But this is just the cherry on top for all Public Universities. Is there a point (a dollar amount; a too many seasons of losing; a pitiful display on the field; and absolute humiliation) that I would agree with dropping this FBS program or trying something more radical ... of course.

There was a Finance Prof at UConn named Norgaard ... he tested personal acceptance of risk and return with a gambling example. I fail. I cannot throw huge dollars on any table when the odds are step. But this is more about Pride and how far we have come. I think most of us get that.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
They showed a video of him handing out hot chocolate to students in front of the arena.
Can you imagine PP or RE handing out hot chocolate? I could see BD doing it, but it would likely come with a D vitamin given the lack of sun in the winter and it might be the no sugar added variety.

Reaction Score
I apologize for me hammering home this point

Here's the Governor: “When people think about Connecticut, I’ve got to say that UConn Huskies are on top of the list in many ways,” Ned Lamont said. “We punch above our weight class, so to speak. Obviously basketball takes an enormous lead there. I think it casts a positive glow on the state. I want everyone to remember that UConn is one of the great public universities in the world. This is just one more aspect of it."

What we realized when we hang around the Boneyard is this ... we care about this University - we care about these sports. This FBS football is about keeping our University in the loop of the BEST. It is never about dollars & cents - "I'm a taxpayer" (and of course, the actual accounting is bizarre to that). We already Won - UConn hoop both WBB and MBB. But this is just the cherry on top for all Public Universities. Is there a point (a dollar amount; a too many seasons of losing; a pitiful display on the field; and absolute humiliation) that I would agree with dropping this FBS program or trying something more radical ... of course.

There was a Finance Prof at UConn named Norgaard ... he tested personal acceptance of risk and return with a gambling example. I fail. I cannot throw huge dollars on any table when the odds are step. But this is more about Pride and how far we have come. I think most of us get that.
Norgaard, haven't heard that name in decades and I wasn't in the School of Business. Married couple if remembered.

Reaction Score
Can you imagine PP or RE handing out hot chocolate? I could see BD doing it, but it would likely come with a D vitamin given the lack of sun in the winter and it might be the no sugar added variety.

Reaction Score
Norgaard, haven't heard that name in decades and I wasn't in the School of Business. Married couple if remembered.

I had two of his classes and he was awesome. And Yes ... his wife (Corinne??) was an accounting professor. He had a huge son - probably 3 or 4 when I was there (let's call him THOR) that he would put on this long table for the one Case Study he would do on Tonka Corporation. Let THOR play with trucks in front of us.

Reaction Score
61C34218-48FE-4209-901C-CC5C1028441D.jpeg

He’s even posting basketball commitments on his IG.. He’s a different breed.

Reaction Score
Can anyone with an ESPN+ subscription pull out the UConn-Mora grade?

UConn

2021 coach: Randy Edsall (stepped down after 0-2 start)

Replacement: Jim Mora, last coached in 2017 at UCLA

Grade: B+

There always will be concerns about hiring a coach who last walked the sideline in 2017, at a very different program (UCLA) on a very different stage. But Mora really wanted to coach again. I could sense his enthusiasm in our conversations about jobs in recent years. UConn needs someone who genuinely wants to be there, and who understands the obstacles facing a program damaged more than any other by realignment. Although Mora, 60, has never coached in the Northeast, he won't have to explain who he is to many high school coaches or recruits' parents. He will need some time to familiarize himself with the landscape and hire the right assistants who can help. But UConn is one of the cases in which hiring a name coach helps, even one who hasn't coached in a while.

Reaction Score

UConn

2021 coach: Randy Edsall (stepped down after 0-2 start)

Replacement: Jim Mora, last coached in 2017 at UCLA

Grade: B+

There always will be concerns about hiring a coach who last walked the sideline in 2017, at a very different program (UCLA) on a very different stage. But Mora really wanted to coach again. I could sense his enthusiasm in our conversations about jobs in recent years. UConn needs someone who genuinely wants to be there, and who understands the obstacles facing a program damaged more than any other by realignment. Although Mora, 60, has never coached in the Northeast, he won't have to explain who he is to many high school coaches or recruits' parents. He will need some time to familiarize himself with the landscape and hire the right assistants who can help. But UConn is one of the cases in which hiring a name coach helps, even one who hasn't coached in a while.
Seems fair. And if you melt away the recency bias (which I don't think is a stretch given his energy and enthusiasm and "media hipness") it could be an A- grade.

Reaction Score

I am not sure that I see your point. But it is not worth carrying this thread any further. Btw, in answer to your question, I was just away for a bit, very preoccupied doing other stuff. And did not block anyone. But thanks for asking.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom