Jim Mora Expected to be Named HC | Page 20 | The Boneyard

Jim Mora Expected to be Named HC

Reaction Score
Got a weird feeling about this. Not really happy, but not sad either. Not too keen on him being being out for so long, that’s like an eternity in cfb. I’m in total wait and see mode.

Well. Let's look at Idaho as a retreat after getting fired in LA. And a divorce + his kids leaving the nest. Yes. I can relate to this 5 year period and know his energy level. Plus this relates to Kevin Ollie: you rather this than that.

Reaction Score
And Benedict. As a resource, not a micromanager. I'm thinking they already developed their plan including identifying coaches and players during the 3 day.

because what the hell else do you do in Idaho ... if you aren't going fishing and there is no snow.

Reaction Score
I don’t think it was misinformation. Some who reported the news were not really credible but one report was credible I believe and its a short list that included Chesney, Moorhead, Golden, and Campanile, then someone ( most likely Spanos ) suggested that Mora is the best candidate to turn this ship around, Mora and Dave impressed each other so here we are.
I have reliable info that Golden was never on the search committee's radar. That report was garbage.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
We hired Parker. While the NE media has that list of ... probably speculative or even whispered meetings. Parker (* and I like to think I know how Headhunters work) would make cold calls to all their coaching clients across the country to feel them out,

I think in almost 60 days, you can expect DB had maybe 20 calls to prospective coaches - that's how you get whispers as some want to be public (or their agents want this) and some don't. My speculation is DB worked the phones heavily. Parker would have unearthed unbelievable reaches ... I would.

Even simpler - we hired Parker as a (needed) go-between for employed coaches. Very little more.

Didn't need that for Mora, so it's not shocking he wouldn't have showed up on their list.

Reaction Score
Can the guy recruit bigger, stronger, faster linemen? That's what this team needs. FBS caliber linemen on both sides of the ball that can be developed into top 25 level units.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
Good to see the UConn Daily this morning expressing exactly the same concerns as me.

I guess this gets down to how relevant you think being an NFL head coach is on a coaching resume. In my view, not relevant at all unless it helps recruiting and that is highly doubtful. Totally different world.

A friend of mine posted on my newsfeed, "A west coast Pasquoloni". Yes, higher achievement on the NFL on the JM resume for whatever that is worth. But much thinner accomplishments in CFB. Yes, he had some gaudy recruiting classes at UCLA, but by the time his recruits took over the two deep, the trend was downward for wins and losses and he got let go. What does that mean?? In fact, it could be compellingly argued that Randy also had a better CFB record when he arrived the second time too.

Looking at ages, Randy recently turned 58 when he took over the second time, Mora will be 60, Pasquoloni recently turned 62. The similarities are uncanny.

My conclusion is that it will all depend on the staff Mora hires. If they are old cronies, that could be problematic. The next few weeks will be interesting. Keeping an open mind. Willing to be convinced.
Nick Saban is 70. Stop it.

Reaction Score
DanO was quoted in the papers referring to AD Dave as a "schmuck". I for one am shocked AD Dave didn't call to get his input.
I totally forgot that happened. I don't blame AD David Benedict one bit for not looking to him for guidance or even having a conversation, especially when his loyalty may lean towards Edsall before UConn, at least when it comes to football.

Former UConn Quarterback Dan Orlovsky Clarifies 'Schmuck' Comment

Reaction Score
look ... we can talk all day about your 58 or 60 or whatever - that's my age approximately. And when I go to meetings with comparably aged 60 year olds, sometimes I say ... gosh, they look old. Mora looks like a kid as he gets on that plane to Clemson,

Let me summarize the recruiting dilemma - as I see it - having a degree from BOTH UCLA and UCONN. Edsall actually - from the early 2000s - got the right formula for how UCONN (as a New England Public U) has to recruit. Connecticut kids (need more development and camps - grab phenom athleticism) and Quebec, Upstate NY Penn MD NJ and greater Mass circling Boston (incl NH). Lots of FL (20%) sprinkling in GA + TX over time. Edsall had this targeted better than PP or Diaco. The Transfer portal is a big deal and apt critique of Edsall. Then the Prep school comment from Jeff Jacobs.

Mora has to prove in his first 45 days that he gets this construct. With Spanos. And maybe a few trusted inside guys and networking. There is some UCLA ground that can be used in New England - not a lot. ALL the West Coast has Polynesian line and the JuCo in California is the best in the country now. Mora will be tested in the early days. He primarily also needs to recruit the 70 kids that need to be evaluated for the Spring competition on campus.

The major MORA spark that I see Day One ... is we instantly have a platform of interest - CBS Sportsline has to be more excited than yesterday morning. We will have TV for a few years more.

... and if he gets Mazzone, we will get a top 40 QB often. NM is known for being a Maestro of QB development and the various teaching QB instructors nationally will know to send kids to him. Moynseenko or the previous UCONN OC/QB coaching are not on the map.
Good thoughtful discussion. I also think that having him hit the ground running as an analyst is key. So we shall see. Agree too on Mazzone.

Reaction Score
I have reliable info that Golden was never on the search committee's radar. That report was garbage.
I looked up that source and said whiskey tango foxtrot?? And the rest was just echo chamber.

Reaction Score
Good thoughtful discussion. I also think that having him hit the ground running as an analyst is key. So we shall see. Agree too on Mazzone.
Biggest thing so far is it appears Mora really wants to be at UCONN and is ready to take job He needs to salvage and add onto our recruiting class. Keeping Spanos in some capacity will help with current player buy-in and retention. Time will tell but Mora is a FOOTBALL COACH and has passion for the game.
We have not been a passionate football time for a long while!

Reaction Score
Well. Let's look at Idaho as a retreat after getting fired in LA. And a divorce + his kids leaving the nest. Yes. I can relate to this 5 year period and know his energy level. Plus this relates to Kevin Ollie: you rather this than that.
But no one reached out to him before this? Or is UConn such a jewel opportunity that he just had to grab it?
After Edsel I’m just gunshy about an older HC coming in for a money grab, that’s all.

Reaction Score
I really don't mind the hire. People that are criticizing are neglecting just how bad this program is right now. Mora has a proven track record at the highest levels of the sport and he was a pretty-damn good recruiter too. Hopefully Mazzone stays on board.
I get it. They NEEDED to make a splash-my preference would have been a younger D2 or 1AA with a track record. I'm OK with this.

Reaction Score
But no one reached out to him before this? Or is UConn such a jewel opportunity that he just had to grab it?
After Edsel I’m just gunshy about an older HC coming in for a money grab, that’s all.

You know ... this just isn't that hard. There is a former University of Washington QB named Hugh Millen who has a few week old campaign to get Jim Mora hired at UW to replace Jimmy Lake. You are acting like he is grandpa out to pasture. Ain't close to his market value for jobs. In the MW or Pac 12, he has value as a HC. If you possibly could be the Huskies coach in Seattle ... why would you become the Huskies coach in East Hartford. Two thoughts: Some guys love rehab jobs (and following Lake in that environment won't be fun) AND Mora has anchors in friends Spanos and Mazzone to report back.

Plus. I see this as two West Coast guys - Benedict and Mora - who culturally mesh. Maybe that is hard to explain here on the The Boneyard; but this world often comes to that. Benedict probably wouldn't connect with some NE types ... think Pasqualoni. Maybe Chesney (haha)

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
You know ... this just isn't that hard. There is a former University of Washington QB named Hugh Millen who has a few week old campaign to get Jim Mora hired at UW to replace Jimmy Lake. You are acting like he is grandpa out to pasture. Ain't close to his market value for jobs. In the MW or Pac 12, he has value as a HC. If you possibly could be the Huskies coach in Seattle ... why would you become the Huskies coach in East Hartford. Two thoughts: Some guys love rehab jobs (and following Lake in that environment won't be fun) AND Mora has anchors in friends Spanos and Mazzone to report back.

Plus. I see this as two West Coast guys - Benedict and Mora - who culturally mesh. Maybe that is hard to explain here on the The Boneyard; but this world often comes to that. Benedict probably wouldn't connect with some NE types ... think Pasqualoni. Maybe Chesney (haha)
Hopefully we’ll get some more answers during the presser. And I hadn’t heard about UW reaching out.
Still gunshy though. PTSD

Reaction Score
Podunk airports. Walking on tarmac to a set of stairs. Love it.
Yup, and arriving for some Sun Valley fun's not all bad. Meanwhile, anyone in DL's terminals in SLC now MT or more likely in ATL around 8:35 tonight can keep an eye out for AD D.B. with HC JM.

Reaction Score
Biggest thing so far is it appears Mora really wants to be at UCONN and is ready to take job He needs to salvage and add onto our recruiting class. Keeping Spanos in some capacity will help with current player buy-in and retention. Time will tell but Mora is a FOOTBALL COACH and has passion for the game.
We have not been a passionate football time for a long while!
I feel the same way. Honestly haven't felt this pumped since the last time we played and beat Houston. I get that there is some coach speak in his press conference, but man he actually sounds like he wants to be coaching at UConn. Compared to Diaco who from the get go had the "I took this job to get a better job" vibe from day one.

Reaction Score
He’s approaching the end of a $12M payout from UCLA and he’s making money as an analyst on top of that, I doubt it’s about the money. Seems like some of y’all aren’t reading/watching the posts and presser on here. He’s a coaches son and has coached at the highest level of football, I’m sure he’s very competitive and wants to take on the challenge UConn football presents.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom