Jim Mora Expected to be Named HC | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Jim Mora Expected to be Named HC

Reaction Score
“For me, it’s a great fit,” Mora said, his voice bounding with enthusiasm. “It’s a chance to do what I love to do with a school that’s a national brand. It’s a chance to do what I love to do at a university that prides itself on athletic and academic excellence.”

Well F everyone one of the haters on the board who refused to recognize that fact.
I thought it was going to have to be the right guy to find UCONN, the guy who wants this challenge, and I think this guy found us for a reason.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
Meh. Whiff of a retread out of CFB for a very long time. Has the advantage of potentially retaining Spanos. DB apparently valued continuity very highly. A very valid concern and we will have to trust DB on this one. Fix it but don't change it sort of mindset. Will keep an open mind. Not wildly enthused at this point but we will wait to see who is on the staff.

But I do hope that he is on the sideline against Clemson.
This is the dumbest post ever

Reaction Score
This is what makes me nervous - one of the things that is absolutely vital in getting this program on track is to recognize relatively nearby recruiting hotbeds. CT should not be primary focus - Florida, Penn, Ohio and Virginia should be.
Don't think I would take anything he says as "to the exclusion of emphasis on other stuff". Don't expect him to look mainly to Ct. for talent, even I know that you look at Florida. He talked about portal also in what seemed like a reasonable manner.
As an example, it's nice we got Tyler P. at UConn; would have been much better than nice if we got his older brother.
None of the other retreads were HEAD COACHES in the NFL.

Reaction Score
This. This is a power move by Benedict that, in one swift stroke has put to bed the rumors that the University of Connecticut is winding down it’s football program, and signaled to current players and future recruits that we are serious about football.

(@ZooCougar are you pleasantly surprised?)

No. He’s and out of work HC. And we got him for a steal. Nobody else wanted him.

Doesn’t mean he can’t be good but we did not punch above our weight class here.

Reaction Score
To me, this is in the same realm of an Al Golden hire but with many more positive aspects. It is clear that AD Dave was deeply concerned about waiting until the end of the regular season and even into the bowl season/FCS playoffs to get the hire completed. This hire not only allows Mora to hit the recruiting trail for HS kids, but also allows him to recruit the current players on the team who may have been wavering on whether to transfer. Compared to Golden, he has higher level NFL experience, a higher level of success as P5 coach, name recognition, and a personality that will sell the program beyond recruiting and the locker room. What Golden had was northeast connections.

Mora would not be coming to UConn without in-depth discussions with Spanos and likely Mazzone. Whether one or both end up on the coaching staff will be interesting to watch over the next few weeks (or less). I get the feeling that Mora has a handle on what he is getting into based on those discussions with Spanos and others.

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
Joining the staff as an assistant coach until the end of the year is the single strangest part of this whole thing. What a joke

Wouldn't it be nice for him to see what we have before the spring? Why start off after the season from scratch. Nothing strange about it.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
For me, Randy was a “retread“ because he had coached here before in the prime of his career and came back as his career was sunsetting. Just because More has experience doesn’t make him a “retread.” Maybe that’s just me though.

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
And great job Dave B of alienating our most visible football alum.
Sorry Dan O has no role in hiring... He is commentator and he should know it would be a conflict of interest.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Let's look at what AD DB has done for UConn since he got here

1. Brought in Lashlee (still insane he pulled that off and Edsall took nothing from that experience)
2. Brought in Hurley to lead the MBB team, which is now a top 25 preseason team (and looks like a top 10 TBH)
3. Moved basketball to the right place to keep the brand relevant
4. Saved the football program from fading into complete irrelevancy in CUSA 2.0
5. Got the state to confirm their commitment to making Uconn a nationally competitive university (academics & sports)
6. Hired an ex P5 and NFL head coach to rebuild the football program

It's wild there are still people on here who can't see the big picture of how AD DB is restoring our brand on a national level. Was never going to happen overnight, but basically every move he has made has been correct so far.

No guarantees we will ever get a P5 bid, but we are in much better shape for that now than we were 5 years ago, that's for sure.

Reaction Score
AFF35E49-131A-466C-90F1-3598679DC84C.jpeg

Reaction Score
A decent hire right now and that’s what they needed immediately particularly given the depths this program has plummeted to over the last ten years. Been out of the game for a good enough time that I can’t imagine this being an immediate stepping stone position for him. I dont think they could afford to let him pass to wait for other candidates currently under contract.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
Mora is the perfect hire. In honor of Veterans Day, I will use a military analogy to highlight my thinking.

We are Matt Damon in Saving Private Ryan in the last scene at the bridge. We are fighting to hold back the enemy tank onslaught, but they are wiping us out. Hope is lost. Suddenly, AD Dave and HFC Mora fly to the rescue in P-51 Mustangs, blow the crap out of the tanks, and save our sorry rears. We go on to prosper and lead the world.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom