Jim Mora’s new staff coming together… | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Jim Mora’s new staff coming together…

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
But, but, but we could never get Joe Morehead…

I would’ve been happy with Morehead, but I am estatic with Mora.
Would you have said that before Mora was hired? I wouldn't. I didn't realize how much UConn needed a Mora type leader until I have seen him in action.

Maybe Moorhead has that leadership capability, but its hard to imagine anyone making a better first impression than Mora.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Would you have said that before Mora was hired? I wouldn't. I didn't realize how much UConn needed a Mora type leader until I have seen him in action.

Maybe Moorhead has that leadership capability, but its hard to imagine anyone making a better first impression than Mora.
I thought it was a good hire from the get-go, but yeah, he has really impressed the heck out of me. Let’s see how he does in the transfer portal.

Reaction Score

I was fully on the Moorhead bandwagon. I was told he would never come here. Then Mora got hired and gave me some delicious kool-aid. Honestly, I think UConn got the best deal in college football for a HC right now. That being said, I do hope Moorhead has a lot of success at Akron.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
It sounds like the job was Morehead's if he said yes earlier. Have fun in Akron.

This seems like a move by a guy who wants to get back in to head coaching but wants to do some final fine tuning and trial and error at MAC level before going back to the big time.

Reaction Score
I think Moorhead misjudged the college HC market and how attractive he would be to schools. I didn't think he was an attractive candidate for Western schools as he really doesn't have ties there. And, after his misfit at Miss State, I don't think he was an attractive candidate for Southern schools. The only big job I thought he might be a fit at was Virginia Tech, but it looks like they are going in a different direction. And, I think some people may have been concerned about his health scare this season which has not ben publicly disclosed. Although Moorhead is 12+ years younger than Mora, he looks older.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I think Moorhead misjudged the college HC market and how attractive he would be to schools. I didn't think he was an attractive candidate for Western schools as he really doesn't have ties there. And, after his misfit at Miss State, I don't think he was an attractive candidate for Southern schools. The only big job I thought he might be a fit at was Virginia Tech, but it looks like they are going in a different direction. And, I think some people may have been concerned about his health scare this season which has not ben publicly disclosed. Although Moorhead is 12+ years younger than Mora, he looks older.
I think Oregon stumbling a bit didn't help either.

Reaction Score

or

Joe and his wife just loved Akron the first time. Remember the game we had that had Dan Orlovsky versus Charlie Frye, Moorhead was the OC. Maybe money isn't everything. He certainly could get interviews to a handful of P5 jobs. He chose not to

Reaction Score
or

Joe and his wife just loved Akron the first time. Remember the game we had that had Dan Orlovsky versus Charlie Frye, Moorhead was the OC. Maybe money isn't everything. He certainly could get interviews to a handful of P5 jobs. He chose not to
IIRC that was the game that Nuzzi missed the game winning FG with just over 2 minutes left, and miraculously Akron went three and out with two incomplete passes, we were able to run about 10 plays in the last 90 seconds and then Nuzzi came through on his second chance.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
or

Maybe, but University of Akron is a financial mess. Enrollment has collapsed over the past 10 years going from 29k in 2010 to 19k in 2019. The professors' union has advocated to drop down from Division 1 in all sports.

Reaction Score
Gotta think DB and Moorhead didn't click. According to those in the know, JM can have a edge to his personality and for whatever reason DB and JM didn't hit it off. There may have been other factors. Who knows? For that matter, who cares at this juncture? UConn has its guy and so far he has shown a very astute and deft touch. Looking forward to more.

Reaction Score
IIRC that was the game that Nuzzi missed the game tieing FG with just over 2 minutes left, and miraculously Akron went three and out with two incomplete passes, we were able to run about 10 plays in the last 90 seconds and then Nuzzi came through on his second chance.
Yep. Thanks for making me nostalgic - hope someday UCONN can get back to those days. Good times.

Reaction Score
Since the start of the Diaco Debacle I have not followed Uconn FB as much and not at the level some of you guys do. I have relied on your guys comments I have gone from hopeful optimistic to a believer in the future of Mora. Of that means optimistic and believe in the team again. Maybe the group of friends I was part of will start getting season tickets again and dust off out tail gatting equipment and let the good times roll again. Maybe drink less this time! Well Not!

Reaction Score
Since the start of the Diaco Debacle I have not followed Uconn FB as much and not at the level some of you guys do. I have relied on your guys comments I have gone from hopeful optimistic to a believer in the future of Mora. Of that means optimistic and believe in the team again. Maybe the group of friends I was part of will start getting season tickets again and dust off out tail gatting equipment and let the good times roll again. Maybe drink less this time! Well Not!
I'm getting my first set of season tickets since 2011. So I'm right there with you.

Reaction Score
Gotta think DB and Moorhead didn't click. According to those in the know, JM can have a edge to his personality and for whatever reason DB and JM didn't hit it off. There may have been other factors. Who knows? For that matter, who cares at this juncture? UConn has its guy and so far he has shown a very astute and deft touch. Looking forward to more.
Oregon was looking to be headed to the Playoff until they lost on November 20th to Utah so it was possible Moorhead could not have left to work full time at a new school before the playoff was over which could have been January 10th. That timeline would not have worked for DB. Mora was officially hired on November 11th, but he was probably doing a lot of behind the scenes work with DB before that date.

Reaction Score
Oregon was looking to be headed to the Playoff until they lost on November 20th to Utah so it was possible Moorhead could not have left to work full time at a new school before the playoff was over which could have been January 10th. That timeline would not have worked for DB. Mora was officially hired on November 11th, but he was probably doing a lot of behind the scenes work with DB before that date.
By that logic though, no one currently employed coaching D1 would have had a chance at the opportunity. Sounds unlikely that was a governing factor. Maybe a contributor to lack of fit, but not the principle one.

Reaction Score
By that logic though, no one currently employed coaching D1 would have had a chance at the opportunity. Sounds unlikely that was a governing factor. Maybe a contributor to lack of fit, but not the principle one.
With the early signing period, you need a new head coach in place by December 1 at the latest which is why almost all of the FBS coaching jobs have already been filled with the exception of the recent schools (Oklahoma, ND) that lost their head coach. The early signing period was introduced for the 2018 signing class which is why coaches moving so early is only a recent trend.

Mike Locksley is a good example. He was OC at Alabama in 2018 season and he was hired as head coach by Maryland on December 4, 2018. Locksley stayed with Alabama and coached in the CFP championship on January 8, 2019. Many schools would not hire a coach that would have to continue to coach for another month after being hired.

Reaction Score
UConn made the right move getting Mora here as early as possible. His time spent observing the current team, in the media, and on the recruiting trail is so valuable. If UConn waited a couple of weeks the hiring would have been greatly overshadowed by other hires and firings. Uconn got lots of good press and a jump on late recruiting that hopefully helps with the talent gap. Moorhead would have been a great hire, but he certainly did not bring the charisma and connections that Mora brought to the job. Although I pushed for northeast connections for the new HC, It is actually refreshing to see how Mora has so quickly connected with in-state coaches and teams. His name brought a lot to the table and his personality obviously impresses.

Reaction Score
Getting kids from CT I think also helps gets fans in the seats. More CT means more family and friends coming to see them play every week.
We went through this thought process when HCPP was hired. He was going to bring in all the great players from the state with all his ties to the coaches in the state but it never happened.
Maybe he and GD were too far along on the continuum and didn't have the energy and enthusiasm to sell UConn against the plunderers like Michigan but our new, young, invigorated staff will be able to do it.
It would be great, so let's do it.

Reaction Score
I can't wait for the day where I don't need to see RE, PP or GD's name or initials on this board ever again! If we really want to move on we need to stop invoking their names (aka stupidity).
Those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it.............

Reaction Score
Mora seems like the adult in the room we've been missing.

In command, aware of what must be done and in what order to assure success, great young hires for his staff with a focus on the ties they have to recruiting hotbeds, outreach to the state and region's coaches and, so far, seemingly doing it all without angst about what "he inherited" or any other built-in excuses we've heard the past ten years.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom