Jim Fuller: Wow | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Jim Fuller: Wow

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
So no guesses as to which AA asked Geno for advice and was given UConn's scouting report?
It doesn't matter, of course, but as much as I love Geno's response, I love that an All-American player was willing to ask after a tough loss.
My guess would be Jordin Canada, She was AA in HS played UCONN in the tournament recently and per Geno presser someone he had recruited in HS. If the UCLA coach Cori Close is not afraid to ask Geno for advice, certainly her players wouldn't be either.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
My guess would be Jordin Canada, She was AA in HS played UConn in the tournament recently and per Geno presser someone he had recruited in HS. If the UCLA coach Cori Close is not afraid to ask Geno for advice, certainly her players wouldn't be either.

I don't think so. Jim's wording suggests the interaction occurred before the NCAA tournament. I think JS nailed it.

Reaction Score
Good choice - but ... he never coached her for USA basketball, did he? He has only coached national team for the last 8 years and she has never been invited to NT camps. And before that she would have been too young to be considered for U16 let alone other USA teams.
Aja played on the usa u19 team with Napheesa, Kelsey Plum and Crystal Dangerfield that won a gold medal in Russia. Dawn Staley might have been the coach.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Aja played on the usa u19 team with Napheesa, Kelsey Plum and Crystal Dangerfield that won a gold medal in Russia. Dawn Staley might have been the coach.
Kelsey Plum was not on that team, Dawn was the coach, & the games were played in Italy not Russia although they did beat a very talented Russia team to win the gold.
USA Women's U19 World Cup Team Roster

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Think about this:

"The Huskies will return three WBCA All-Americans. That is the first time that has ever happened. No, not in program history but in the sport's history."

We have had three WBCA All-Americans in the same season before, but we have never had that many returning for the following season. We also have two other players who made AP Honorable Mention All-American in their most recent season (Kia and Azura).

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
So no guesses as to which AA asked Geno for advice and was given UConn's scouting report?

It doesn't matter, of course, but as much as I love Geno's response, I love that an All-American player was willing to ask after a tough loss.
Other possibilities:

Kelsey Mitchell

Brianna Turner

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Think about this:

"The Huskies will return three WBCA All-Americans. That is the first time that has ever happened. No, not in program history but in the sport's history."

We have had three WBCA All-Americans in the same season before, but we have never had that many returning for the following season. We also have two other players who made AP Honorable Mention All-American in their most recent season (Kia and Azura).
This is not actually true, though to read the Uconn media guide you might get that impression as they are inaccurate on first team AA status for Bria Hartley:
As a sophomore in 2011-2 Bria earned WBCA AA status, she had an ankle injury that hampered her junior season and did not get voted an AA but Dolson her junior year and KML her sophomore year did, so at the start of the 2013 season Bria, Stef, and KML were all already qualified for the HOH wall as first team AA. If you want to qualify the statement as returning three members of the previous years WBCA team - than I am sure it is unique. But Uconn has had 3 returning AAs in a season before. (By the end of that year they had four playing on the team as Stewart earned her first that year.)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
This is not actually true, though to read the UConn media guide you might get that impression as they are inaccurate on first team AA status for Bria Hartley:
As a sophomore in 2011-2 Bria earned WBCA AA status, she had an ankle injury that hampered her junior season and did not get voted an AA but Dolson her junior year and KML her sophomore year did, so at the start of the 2013 season Bria, Stef, and KML were all already qualified for the HOH wall as first team AA. If you want to qualify the statement as returning three members of the previous years WBCA team - than I am sure it is unique. But UConn has had 3 returning AAs in a season before. (By the end of that year they had four playing on the team as Stewart earned her first that year.)
Good clarification!

That team that had 3 returning AAs went 40-0. :)

Reaction Score
Great article! Thanks for sharing it!
Geno really gets"it", and that's not just BB but Life!

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
Is it surprising that the two teams in the final were coached by coaches who have worked with and learned from Geno? The coaches that don't or won't learn from him simply don't make it there.

Reaction Score
That's all true but what's even more galling is that Geno has helped countless female athletes and coaches on his team and on others....it is beyond an insult for any uninformed social critic to find him wanting when it comes to the advancement of women in all aspects of the sport..

Besides geno's strive for perfection--I have usually been impressed he treated his players --close to how I treated my daughters.
They weren't / aren't a gender they are humans without limitations or restrictions---in Geno's case they are Basketball players
GENDER neutral.
Geno isn't perfect, a flawed man, with all the usually faults of one with too much fame --yet his one attribute exceeds all others:
he returns to his community, the game, the players, any one anywhere to help women and the game.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
This is not actually true, though to read the UConn media guide you might get that impression as they are inaccurate on first team AA status for Bria Hartley:
As a sophomore in 2011-2 Bria earned WBCA AA status, she had an ankle injury that hampered her junior season and did not get voted an AA but Dolson her junior year and KML her sophomore year did, so at the start of the 2013 season Bria, Stef, and KML were all already qualified for the HOH wall as first team AA. If you want to qualify the statement as returning three members of the previous years WBCA team - than I am sure it is unique. But UConn has had 3 returning AAs in a season before. (By the end of that year they had four playing on the team as Stewart earned her first that year.)
They went 40-0 that year. :D

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom