Jim Fuller on scheduling Marist; Wake Forest added to Paradise Jam | The Boneyard

Jim Fuller on scheduling Marist; Wake Forest added to Paradise Jam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Would like to see Geno schedule a home/away with Marist.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Marist is a well coached program but it will end up a 35 point win for UConn.

Reaction Score
Marist is certainly entitled to decide where they are willing to play, but Poughkeepsie is less than 100 miles from Hartford. It's not exactly comparable to traveling to Lexington or Norman. Sure the Marist fans wouldn't get to see UConn in a 2,500 seat gym, but they would get to see their team in a 16,000 seat arena.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
I'm not quite sure what coach is saying about the scheduling -- why exactly isn't he saying yes to UConn? $$?

Reaction Score
He wants a home & home arrangement. I can understand that.

Reaction Score
Like many really good mid-majors, the big boys invite them to come play at their house, but won't go back there and risk playing on the road.

It's not the money he said, it's that he wants a home and home with UConn, so that Marist's home fans can see UConn there too, not just have to travel.

I've had conversations with Green Bay and Toledo this year, who played each other twice because they couldn't find higher teams that will go to their site.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
He says he would do it if the money were what the men guarantee, but he won't agree for what's guaranteed money on the women's side:

I don't need $20,000 (guarantee), if you want to offer me $100,000 like they do on the men's side, sure I'll go do it. I don't need $20,000 to go get my brains beat in, we want them to come beat our brains in at our place as well as their place to give us a chance to see how we do. They way they play, you only get better and learn a ton from it so I'd love to play but at our place too."

I understand the position of both programs. The issue with UConn is not that it won't "risk playing on the road," as it has no problem playing road games at Duke, Oklahoma, Baylor, UNC, etc.. The issue for UConn is revenue. It's home and home series typically involve ESPN games or homecoming games for a player (except the longstanding series w/ Holy Cross which plays every 3rd of 4th game in Worcester). The remaining OOC games on its schedule are home games because UConn is more dependent on the revenue it generates from those games than programs with big revenue football programs such as those mentioned by Giorgis (OK, KSU, etc).

Reaction Score
It's all about guaranteed money. Marist has a great coach, would have gone deep into NCAA's last year, had their best player not gotten injured while playing in the tournament. 'Me first' in a home & home series is secondary. Primarily, it's the $$.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I don't see that this is much different than the long-standing home/home arrangement UConn has with Holy Cross. Poughkeepsie and Worcester are about the same distance from Storrs. Marist is a better team than HC. Is Poughkeepsie close enough to Port Jervis for a game there to count as a "home" game for Stefanie some time?

Before you get out your maps, be advised that Port Jervis is in NY, right where NY, NJ and PA collide. Poughkeepsie (I would hate to live there and have to deal with that spelling) is up the Hudson River, north of West Point.

Reaction Score
I don't see that this is much different than the long-standing home/home arrangement UConn has with Holy Cross. Poughkeepsie and Worcester are about the same distance from Storrs. Marist is a better team than HC. Is Poughkeepsie close enough to Port Jervis for a game there to count as a "home" game for Stefanie some time?

Before you get out your maps, be advised that Port Jervis is in NY, right where NY, NJ and PA collide. Poughkeepsie (I would hate to live there and have to deal with that spelling) is up the Hudson River, north of West Point.

- UConn doesn't have a home & home with HC. It's more like a 3-home & home.
- Marist is a far stronger program than HC. And it's a scholarship school.
- Worcester is <1 hr from Storrs. Poughkeepsie is 2+ hrs. Not that distance is the issue.

huskybill

RIP, huskybill
Reaction Score
To answer Kibitzer's question, Poughkeepsie is not close enough to Port Jervis to bring lots of Stef's fans to the game. In fact the only thing close to Port Jervis is cheap gas in New Jersey.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Wish they could work out a deal. I guess there are no big arenas anywhere near the Marist campus.

Reaction Score
Wish they could work out a deal. I guess there are no big arenas anywhere near the Marist campus.

I don't know what that would do?

UConn wants a home game so it can get the revenue.
Marist wants a home & home.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
I don't know what that would do?

UConn wants a home game so it can get the revenue.
Marist wants a home & home.
Marist's home game could be at the big arena if there were one.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
But UConn doesn't get to keep all the revenue if it's not their home game.
You lost me (not hard to do). Why would there be any change if they played at XYZ arena instead of Marist's gym, other than the cut that has to go to XYZ arena? we are talking about a Marist home game.

Reaction Score
You lost me (not hard to do). Why would there be any change if they played at XYZ arena instead of Marist's gym, other than the cut that has to go to XYZ arena? we are talking about a Marist home game.

Explain this: UConn wants revenue. How does playing a game at Marist (whether a 2,000 or 20,000 arena) give UConn any revenue?

The arena is irrelevant. Each team is demanding a home game.
UConn is not going to budge - it counts on this revenue, and it can always find some team willing to do it.
And Marist's coach seems pretty entrenched too.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Explain this: UConn wants revenue. How does playing a game at Marist (whether a 2,000 or 20,000 arena) give UConn any revenue?

The arena is irrelevant. Each team is demanding a home game.
UConn is not going to budge - it counts on this revenue, and it can always find some team willing to do it.
And Marist's coach seems pretty entrenched too.
I was under the impression that teams share revenue for every game, but the home team always gets the larger share. Is that incorrect?

Reaction Score
I was under the impression that teams share revenue for every game, but the home team always gets the larger share. Is that incorrect?

I don't think so. I believe the home team gets it all.
That's why UConn is offering them a 20k payout to come play.

Reaction Score
with this competition why not just save some money and have these exact same teams at the world vision tournament.... i thought they were going to play some tough competition for the paradise jam.. but uconn doesn't control whose in out not so w.e

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom