Jim Fuller: Looks like Uconn - Baylor series will NOT be renewed | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Jim Fuller: Looks like Uconn - Baylor series will NOT be renewed

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
On a serious question, and no poking involved, I just don't know. How long after Geno took over the UCONN program did he win his first championship and how old was he?

Mulkey took over the Baylor program in 2000 and won a championship in 2005. By no means is she on the Geno or Pat accomplishment level yet, but she was playing college ball the year before Geno took over the UCONN program and was playing for Olympic gold around the same time. She got a little later start at coaching since she could also play the game a bit.
Geno took over a program with an eleven-year history of WBB that included ten losing seasons. There was little to no local talent, terrible facilities, and no investment whatsoever in WBB. It took Geno two seasons to get to a winning record, four to win a Big East regular season and conference title, six to get to a Final Four, and 10 to win a national championship. Once there, UConn has never exited the tourney before the Sweet 16 (and only then twice), and only won fewer than 30 games twice (same two seasons- 1999 and 2005).

What Kim has done at Baylor is extremely impressive, but it was at a time when WBB programs had greater access to resources/facilities, in a WBB-friendly conference with several other contending programs at the time, and in a talent-rich state. Moreover, what she has done since winning the 2005 title includes more sub-30-win seasons and more early-round exits than UConn has had since 1994.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
nobody is knockin Kim but there's no need to talk about the fastest to THREE HUNDRED... I love Baylor, shooot I actually think they're gonna beat UConn next week sooooooo

I only mentioned that because some posters were making it sound as if she is not looking out for the best interest of the program. This program is her baby, just like UCONN's program is Geno's. I am simply stating that she is making good decisions and getting good results.

Geno will end his career with more titles that Wooden, I suspect. But at this point in her career, comparing NCs is not quite a barometer of her success. Getting to 300 wins faster than some of the all-time greats is a fair comparison.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
and if she doesnt win, then what? "What if" Frese or Blair win...

Then they both have two also and are on par with Geno and Pat since 2004 with much less established programs.

Blair is an incredible coach and I never am surprised by what he does in College Station.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Geno took over a program with an eleven-year history of WBB that included ten losing seasons. There was little to no local talent, terrible facilities, and no investment whatsoever in WBB. It took Geno two seasons to get to a winning record, four to win a Big East regular season and conference title, six to get to a Final Four, and 10 to win a national championship. Once there, UConn has never exited the tourney before the Sweet 16 (and only then twice), and only won fewer than 30 games twice (same two seasons- 1999 and 2005).

What Kim has done at Baylor is extremely impressive, but it was at a time when WBB programs had greater access to resources/facilities, in a WBB-friendly conference with several other contending programs at the time, and in a talent-rich state. Moreover, what she has done since winning the 2005 title includes more sub-30-win seasons and more early-round exits than UConn has had since 1994.

As I said earlier, Mulkey's accomplishments are in no way on the level of Geno's. UCONN can almost hand pick the players it wants at this point, and the results show. And Geno has earned that and it is a result of his proven success.

Nothing but respect here.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
As I said earlier, Mulkey's accomplishments are in no way on the level of Geno's. UCONN can almost hand pick the players it wants at this point, and the results show. And Geno has earned that and it is a result of his proven success.

Nothing but respect here.
ett - I enjoy your posts but I hope you appreciate how lucky you are. You would have been banished from another board to our south a LONG time ago.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Nice
ett - I enjoy your posts but I hope you appreciate how lucky you are. You would have been banished from another board to our south a LONG time ago.

I do appreciate the open dialogue allowed here. By far the most educated and neutral sit I've visited.

I have been banned from the Baylor board and the Longhorn boards before. Texas boar more than once. Those darn southerners

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Mulkey does have a few accomplishments under her belt that nobody has matched. NC as player, assistant and head coach and gold medal as a player. I suspect that one day she will coach a team to Oympic gold. However, Geno will amass a NC title count that probably will never be matched.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
easttexastr: What I and others have talked about is helping grow the Women's Basketball, as well as the school a coach coaches at. Kim and other coaches at elite programs should be willing to schedule games anytime, where's there's the opportunity to get National Exposure for Women's Basketball. I think this is especially true for Kim since she has Griner who has the ability to get the average sports fan to watch a women's game.

BTW I personally don't care if Kim schedules a game against UConn in Jan/Feb or not. Because I know Geno will and won't be afraid or use some excuse not to play anyone at any time or place. UConn will continue to get more National TV Games then any other school and will continue to reap the recruiting benefits. :)

By not scheduling UConn next year Baylor loses an opportunity for the second sell out in their History as I'm sure Geno would schedule the Game at Waco if it was required.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
easttexastr: What I and others have talked about is helping grow the Women's Basketball, as well as the school a coach coaches at. Kim and other coaches at elite programs should be willing to schedule games anytime, where's there's the opportunity to get National Exposure for Women's Basketball. I think this is especially true for Kim since she has Griner who has the ability to get the average sports fan to watch a women's game.

BTW I personally don't care if Kim schedules a game against UConn in Jan/Feb or not. Because I know Geno will and won't be afraid or use some excuse not to play anyone at any time or place. UConn will continue to get more National TV Games then any other school and will continue to reap the recruiting benefits. :)

By not scheduling UConn next year Baylor loses an opportunity for the second sell out in their History as I'm sure Geno would schedule the Game at Waco if it was required.

I'm pretty sure that next year's game would NOT be at Baylor since it is in Waco this year. I think you give Geno a little too much credit.

If everyone is so worried about promoting women's basketball, then let's schedule the game for a time when both parties agree. I am sure that Geno would be willing to play Baylor in November, December, January or February. Everyone is acting as if the two teams cannot play in any other month. Do you seriously think that ESPN would pass up the opportunity to air that game, no matter when it is? Is Geno refusing a game earlier in the year? If not, then put in on the schedule.

Mulkey has no responsibility to grow women's basketball. Her responsibility is to her team and her university. Let's blame all the other folks who can't find a way to make this game happen in pre-season instead of in the middle of conference play, not Mulkey. It's just hateful talk about a coach doing what she feels is best for her program.

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
I'm sure everyone hopes they can work it out. WCBB needs them to play. Hoping for the best for McKenith, a really good player for SJU.

I think this is an important point. WCBB needs the best teams to play each other to build its reputation vs. the men's game. The obvious attempts to avoid these matches (think UConn-Tennessee) is not at all good for the game. UConn plays OOC North Carolina, Duke and Oklahoma in January and February. I'll bet that Geno Auriemma would not turn down a great match, even in the middle of Big East competition.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Mulkey has no responsibility to grow women's basketball. Her responsibility is to her team and her university. Let's blame all the other folks who can't find a way to make this game happen in pre-season instead of in the middle of conference play, not Mulkey. It's just hateful talk about a coach doing what she feels is best for her program.
We are going to have to agree to disagree here. There are very few high-profile programs in WCBB, and those there are do very much have an obligation to showcase the sport. I will never forgive Pat for cancelling the series with UConn, not because it's hurt either program one iota, but because it has hurt WBB not to have that game. Similarly, UConn will be fine without playing Baylor during the regular season (though I'd love to be able to go to the game in Hartford again), but it's bad for WBB for an emerging rivalry to be discontinued. Rivalries are extremely important for bringing in casual fans, and they take time to develop. As is, we've lost UConn-Tennessee, we're losing Baylor-A&M, and we're not going to get UConn-Baylor. That's bad for the sport. That's bad for long-term TV contracts. It's bad when young girls don't get to see matchups they can dream of participating in one day. I'd rather UConn owned a smaller but significant piece of a larger pie than all of a smaller one. Mulkey should feel that responsibility; call it noblesse oblige.

I have to ask again: who is really projected to be that dominant in the Big XII the next couple of years? I see Baylor and...no one else really poised to be anything above a top 15 kind of team.

BTW, if next year's game was in Hartford, the return game in 2013-14 would be in Waco. There is likely to be something of an attendance dip after Griner graduates, and I'd think Baylor could use a hot ticket home game like this.

And again, there's no hateful talk here; we don't have the whole story, and I'll reserve judgment until such time as we do. The issue is IF the issue ladybears4eva posited is actually a driving factor at all in all of this, I don't see it as a remotely acceptable justification for discontinuing what should be one of the premier rivalries, if not THE premier rivalry, in WCBB.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I don't think the family issue is a factor in the least. There has been absolutely no talk of that in the Baylor world. This is an assertion by one person.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom