Jim Fuller: Geno comments on the post-ND reaction | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Jim Fuller: Geno comments on the post-ND reaction

Status
Not open for further replies.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I once asked Husky Bill…”what constitutes a poster you enjoy”, and he said” Anyone who is interesting”. DD surely is that…he pokes, prods, and elicits strong reactions. But, he sure as heck is interesting. In real life, he is friendly and collegial, and he goes out of his way to be supportive and protective of our team.

I am more than glad he posts here, we would be far less w/o him. Indeed, we miss him when he doesn’t post. Your post, Fan23, does not reflect my personal experience with him.
Thanks Ozzie. I appreciate the kind words.

I guess I missed a doozie of a response to my post to Fan23. And without even seeing it, I will apoligize to that poster if I offended them with my post to him/her. I don't know how hard that poster works, but Geno earns every penny he makes.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
You are ignoring the "their guys didn't".

What would you call 11-31 shooting, 0-5 on 3's with 8 TO's?
What would you call 11-28 shooting, 1-4 on 3's?
What would you call 2-10 shooting, 0-1 on 3's?

Looks like there was plenty of under-performing by both teams and that was my point. Looking at it one way.
Ok, well then they didn't under perform as much as our guys did (i.e. they won). But yes they really underperformed on the 3's, that was dreadful.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Ok, well then they didn't under perform as much as our guys did (i.e. they won). But yes they really underperformed on the 3's, that was dreadful.

More than the 3's. Eight TO's by Diggins didn't match Dolson, but that is true underperforming as well.

Losing in 3 OT's, I don't see how one can say that in the overall aspect of the game, underperforming was owned by one team, even if they lost.

Reaction Score
My heart just aches for the kids. I just hope they've learned from the experience & can use it as fuel for the fire going forward in the BET & NCAAs

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Losing in 3 OT's, I don't see how one can say that in the overall aspect of the game, underperforming was owned by one team, even if they lost.
I think that's the only way one can say it.

But in the end it doesn't matter whether ND underperformed or not. The important thing is whether UCONN did or not (at least from our perspective). And I think/hope most people can acknowledge that we did. And then the question is what can we do to make sure next time we don't?

Really if one says ND underperformed and still beat us, that's even worse for us.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I think that's the only way one can say it.

But in the end it doesn't matter whether ND underperformed or not. The important thing is whether UCONN did or not (at least from our perspective). And I think/hope most people can acknowledge that we did. And then the question is what can we do to make sure next time we don't?

Really if one says ND underperformed and still beat us, that's even worse for us.

I didn't say UConn didn't underperform in some aspects. 35 or whatever it was TO's is a stat that can't be argued about. But ND underperformed as well in aspects of their performance as well.

That is all I was saying.

ND is a really good team. I keep reading things that don't give them credit for that. It will be even sweeter when UConn beats them.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I normally just lurk and enjoy reading everyones comments but I would rather they lose a couple games during the regular season then go on a 9 - 0 run after. Its all about the League Tournament Championship and a National Title. :)

I've always wondered why some consider the conference title more important, unless a team is fighting for a place in the big dance. A regular season title demonstrates a sustained high level of play when the tournament title could be affected by one injury or flu bug.

Reaction Score
He is talking about the fans. Not the team. THEY expect to win every game. It's the way some fans react that he is talking about.

Of course on the surface Coach is talking about the fans, and in turn the media. But if we take it a level deeper, it boils down to the environment - the pressure placed on him and his players to win every game - or more importantly - not to lose any games. To me, Coach's comments are around alleviating that pressure (whether it be to win or to maintain a program that fills arenas) on his players, and perhaps to a lesser extent, on himself.

Whether that pressure emanates from the fans and the media (UConn), or the fans, the media and the administration (NCAA D1 football and basketball) or a maniacal owner (the Yankees circa 1976-2003), the impact to the players and their coach is similar, and I submit would elicit the same reaction from someone of Coach's inclinations.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
"It is the only place in America where you are not allowed to lose any games ever..."

Ah yes, the old refrain. Often heard after a disappointing home turnout as well. "The most spoiled fans in college sports."

Of course its also the only place in America with a team that has achieved a number of almost ridiculous winning streaks. Take your pick: 90 games overall. Before that 70 games overall. 70 home games. Before that 69 home games. A two season, 78 game winning streak where only one game was won by less than 10 points. And of course Bob Picozzi's favorite: a recently ended 19 year home winning streak against unranked opponents.

And so clearly this is just Coach protecting his players, and letting off some steam, which is perfectly fine. Or as folks like to say - "Coach being coach."

For if he truly believes this, he may want to have a conversation with Joe Torre, regarding his 1997, 2001 and 2002 seasons working for a man who once declared "Winning is the most important thing in my life, after breathing. Breathing first, winning next." Or any of a number of college football coaches in the SEC (Nick Saban, for example) where losing one game can truly mean a failed season, considerable lost revenue from missed Bowl games, an upset administration and a rabid fan base calling for termination.

Bottom line is teams that almost always win (or perhaps more importantly, almost never lose) beget a large, massively engaged fan base that expect to win every game and are upset when they don't. And teams that don't generate a lesser fan base with more reasonably managed expectations.

I suspect Coach would be much happier with the former...

Query: why cannot larger fan bases manage their expectations? Why is the larger fan base guilty of not being able to walk in another shoes? Why then must they hold teenage girls and girls in early twenties to a higher standard than the one to which they hold themselves, and then come crashing down on them when those standards aren't met? Do they apply the same harsh criticism to themselves when they don't meet expectations?

What is wrong with this picture and what is wrong with your comparison?

The expectations of the lesser fan base as it were was of course to accept to defeat when they occur, and then to rejoice greatly when they have earned the win.

UConn fans, the greater fan base is less enthusiastic about a win saying very little these days, but come crawling out of the cracks when a very close game is decided not in their favor in a triple overtime with very negative comments.

Where is the joy in the game fans of UConn women's basketball? Do you still have it? Do you still have enough of it to celebrate through disappointment as well as through victory?

I know there are many who still love the UConn game and "get" Geno. This is directed to the others...

Sorry there are a number of clear queries here, but I am profoundly disturbed by all of this... seriously

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
geno says "i am not complaining." wonder what he sounds like when he is complaining.

Reaction Score
Query: ..
Why then must they hold teenage girls and girls in early twenties to a higher standard than the one to which they hold themselves, and then come crashing down on them when those standards aren't met
Sorry there are a number of clear queries here, but I am profoundly disturbed by all of this... seriously
Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

It is unfortunate that you (or anyone for that matter) are moved to become profoundly disturbed at that or anything posted on a message board of this ilk; you may consider this my apology.

However, it appears that you've misinterpreted the tone and purpose of the post. It was NOT intended to ratify the fans behavior any more than it was to impugn the coach. It was simply to posit (with examples) that such behavior is normal and common in the society in which we live, and is not particularly specific to the UConn women's basketball program.

I did not offer my own personal judgement of this behavior, nor did I castigate Coach. In fact I only offered:
"And so clearly this is just Coach protecting his players, and letting off some steam, which is perfectly fine. Or as folks like to say - "Coach being coach." How is that negative?

We generally applaud Title IX, especially as it applies to NCAA Division 1 college sports. Why then is it not fair to hold the pressures to succeed that go along with participation in the UConn women's basketball program against those accompanying the football programs at the University of Alabama, or LSU for male athletes? Or the men's basketball programs at Duke and North Carolina?

THAT was the point - that such environments breed expectations of success, and that sociologically, this is a normal occurrence in our society.

Again - I'm not saying it's right, or that it's wrong - I'm perfectly happy to leave that debate alone. I'm only saying that it just is, and that Coach's comments, I believe, were intended more to relieve these pressures from his team, and to a lesser extent himself, than they were to actually cast aspersions on the fan base.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
It is unfortunate that you (or anyone for that matter) are moved to become profoundly disturbed at that or anything posted on a message board of this ilk; you may consider this my apology.

However, it appears that you've misinterpreted the tone and purpose of the post. It was NOT intended to ratify the fans behavior any more than it was to impugn the coach. It was simply to posit (with examples) that such behavior is normal and common in the society in which we live, and is not particularly specific to the UConn women's basketball program.

No Dear...not your post, although I did quote it. I rather ran with it and posted the commentary to....how did I put it..."I know there are many who still love the UConn game and "get" Geno. This is directed to the others..."

and yes, I understand that Geno is alleviating - or trying to alleviate the harsh criticism towards his team - that is to which I was responding....Thetabloid mentality, the band wagon hoppers, the negative nellies...there is far too much of this I think (and not just in sports)...and that is profoundly disturbing.

hope that clarifies my intent.

CCinCT

Poster
Reaction Score
You are ignoring the "their guys didn't".

What would you call 11-31 shooting, 0-5 on 3's with 8 TO's?
What would you call 11-28 shooting, 1-4 on 3's?
What would you call 2-10 shooting, 0-1 on 3's?

Looks like there was plenty of under-performing by both teams and that was my point. Looking at it one way.

DD is right - UCONN just out-underperformed ND !

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
geno says "i am not complaining." wonder what he sounds like when he is complaining.

..and, YET AGAIN, BB takes a shot a Geno...

As I've said before, BB, we get it: you don't like 'im, and you'll take almost every opportunity to get a dig in. And, no, I'm not an apologist: I'm too old for that. But, neither do I take a grudge and grind, and grind, and grind...

Reaction Score
Coach can handle the pressure; he's been there before. It's tough on the 18-22 year olds. However, they are more upset at the loss than the fans.
That is perfect.... they should be upset because they lost. That shows they have the winning spirit. If you accept loses easily... you lose easily. Now let's see how they respond to being upset. A college did a study some years ago and they came to the conclusion that employees that were a little upset worked harder , made fewer mistakes and were distracted less by happenings around them. Maybe the lose will help them focus on the task at hand. N.C. number EIGHT!

By Kelly's quotes after the game she was ready to play another game right then, right there. I like that about a player. She has the winning spirit and hopefully that is contagious. Geno will use that motivation to prep them for the tournaments ahead.

Kelly Faris is Superwoman in disguise!!

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
That is perfect.... they should be upset because they lost. That shows they have the winning spirit. If you accept loses easily... you lose easily. Now let's see how they respond to being upset. A college did a study some years ago and they came to the conclusion that employees that were a little upset worked harder , made fewer mistakes and were distracted less by happenings around them. Maybe the lose will help them focus on the task at hand. N.C. number EIGHT!

By Kelly's quotes after the game she was ready to play another game right then, right there. I like that about a player. She has the winning spirit and hopefully that is contagious. Geno will use that motivation to prep them for the tournaments ahead.

Kelly Faris is Superwoman in disguise!!

Your signature line made me think of this.....

superwoman_KF.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog