jim Calhoun's time out 6 seconds after opening tip | The Boneyard

jim Calhoun's time out 6 seconds after opening tip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't recall the opponent, but Jim Calhoun was always on a razor's edge right from the start. He didn't like giving an easy layup from the opening tip and called a time out six seconds in. It was a thing of beauty. He lit into his starters and emphatically changed their mindset.

This year's team seems to think the beginning of the game is a feeling out process; they are not ready to play. I wasn't going to bring this up, but Purvis had an opportunity for an easy opening tip layup in the Cinci game, but didn't know what direction they were going. What? He should have been pulled out until he figured out which goal was ours.

As has been repeated over and over, this team does not have the offensive firepower to play from behind; it will be a crap shoot. If they want to stop this depressing second guessing, get ready to play or begin making other plans for March.

Reaction Score
I think Purvis knew what direction we were going. It's unusual to get the ball of the tip off in your opponent's side of the court. He also had 2 Cincy big men between him and the hoop. He pulled it back out and Boat scored on a drive less than 10 seconds later.

Reaction Score
I think Purvis knew what direction we were going. It's unusual to get the ball of the tip off in your opponent's side of the court. He also had 2 Cincy big men between him and the hoop. He pulled it back out and Boat scored on a drive less than 10 seconds later.
No disrespect, but I just watched it a few more times and don't buy it. He either had a layup, gets fouled or is goal tended. I realize Boat scored shortly thereafter, but am still not convinced Purvis knew which way we were going.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
No disrespect, but I just watched it a few more times and don't buy it. He either had a layup, gets fouled or is goal tended. I realize Boat scored shortly thereafter, but am still not convinced Purvis knew which way we were going.
He had two bigs on him. Smart play. If he went for the layup and blew it you'd be ridiculing him

Reaction Score
He had two bigs on him. Smart play. If he went for the layup and blew it you'd be ridiculing him
Wrong on all accounts. No one between him and the basket...there were not two bigs and I would not fault him for taking it to them. The replay is just a few pages back...

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Wrong on all accounts. No one between him and the basket...there were not two bigs and I would not fault him for taking it to them. The replay is just a few pages back...
So they weren't on the left and right of him? I'd rather him not force the issue like everyone's been criticising him this year and pull the ball out and run a play

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
After all those momentum killing moving screen, border line foul calls we got last night, KO should of probably taken an early technical, sat the starters down or gotten thrown out.

pj

Reaction Score
I was surprised he didn't go to the basket too but picking off the ball on their side disorganized Cincy's defense and they had great ball movement to get Boat an open shot. It's only because it was Purvis who is a great driver/slasher/athlete that we would complain about not attacking the basket. If it had been Craig Austrie people would have been screaming at the TV "pass it out, Craig, don't try to score!"

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
There was no flow to the game due to the refs being involved. KO should've been more fired up and the team needs to figure itself out now

Reaction Score
I don't recall the opponent, but Jim Calhoun was always on a razor's edge right from the start. He didn't like giving an easy layup from the opening tip and called a time out six seconds in. It was a thing of beauty.

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/datadump/MBasketball/2005/MediaCenter/HTML/game02.htm

This is the earliest I can remember. FIU gets a dunk at 19:55, JC calls timeout at 19:51. IIRC, he walked halfway onto the court making the TO signal above his head, turned around, sat back down, and may not have said a word. We won by 51.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Those were some of my favorite JC time outs, when he'd call the TO and then just stare at the team for thirty 28 seconds and then put his hand up and send them back out. We'll never see another one like him.

Reaction Score
Purvis was going against two Cincy bohemeths and correctly pulled it out. Boat hit a layup like 6 seconds later.

Reaction Score
I said last night's loss was on Ollie in a post. The only grounds I had for making such a claim was being raised on Jim Calhoun. Jim had his flaws but he either was there and animated working the sidelines or realized there was an issue, called a time out or got a technical. First year Ollie did this. This year its almost like he is above it. Running the whole pro set, not fouling like every college coach in America would do last night. I like Ollie and maybe transferring from Jim Calhoun to anyone is like transferring from Dean Smith or someone else great. If my team was on the court not exhibiting enough energy and intelligence I would be and show that I am pissed. And, I learned it by watching Jim Calhoun. Calhoun would toughen up Nolan and the details like inbounding a pass would be practiced until the kids arms fell off. It will be interesting to see where Ollie goes from here. A couple seasons of real day to day coaching may change his outlook on where he wants to be. I hope he stays and finds himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom