Jim Calhoun turns 78 | The Boneyard

Jim Calhoun turns 78

Reaction Score
This goes back to his second season at UConn. I was a freshman and a hoops junkie. My dad coached high school hoops for 35 years and I had grown up watching Big East basketball from the start of the league not knowing at the time I’d end up a Husky. When I got to campus I found out the practice schedule and used to sneak up to the second level of the field house Bleachers (gampel was just about started construction). I would watch practice a few times a week between classes. JC eventually saw me up there and one day talked to me. Said he didn’t mind me up there but just keep quiet and I’d be all set. He was still trying to build the program and could not have been nicer. Watched him build the foundation leading up to the Dream Season which led to all the rest we’ve experienced. He is truly the GOAT!

Reaction Score
Love the “Not one dime.” Also love the gum chewing and fast talking.
However, the best memory is a personal one. I took my 6 year old son to a game. We both were dressed as Huskies, complete with makeup and ears. We were on TV a number of times with Jonathan, cheerleaders, etc. Later that week my mom wrote to Coach Calhoun telling him about our costumes, and asking if he would please, please send a copy of the game tape. A few days later a VCR cartridge arrived by mail with a very nice personal letter thanking us for being such great UConn fans. I have the framed letter at my office, along with an autographed photo.

Reaction Score
Lat game of his first season at the civic center. We were beaten by almost everyone. Gamble and Robinson were suspended the 2nd semester due to grades. near the end of the game the announcer asked the 5600 fans to after the game. Calhoun thanked us for hanging in with our Huskies and promised to NEVER have another season like we just experienced, He kept his promise and more

Reaction Score
So many memories.
After winning in 1999 I called the basketball office to thank him and left my #. Ten minutes later I went into a store and stupid me left my phone in my car. I came out and he called and left a message thanking me for being a great fan.

At one of his benefit games I was on the court with a friend who had been and a walk on and my Down Syndrome son. My friend had said whatever you do don't call him Jim. So my son is introduced to him and naturally says "hi Jim". He was great with my son.

I have met him several times and he has always been terrific.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Happy Birthday with great gratitude!

my favorite memory was going from being nothing's to becoming the best program in the country!

Reaction Score
This goes back to his second season at UConn. I was a freshman and a hoops junkie. My dad coached high school hoops for 35 years and I had grown up watching Big East basketball from the start of the league not knowing at the time I’d end up a Husky. When I got to campus I found out the practice schedule and used to sneak up to the second level of the field house Bleachers (gampel was just about started construction). I would watch practice a few times a week between classes. JC eventually saw me up there and one day talked to me. Said he didn’t mind me up there but just keep quiet and I’d be all set. He was still trying to build the program and could not have been nicer. Watched him build the foundation leading up to the Dream Season which led to all the rest we’ve experienced. He is truly the GOAT!
i used to sneak into gampel to watch practices back in 2008-2009. scrimmages back then used to be great battles. i could usually last 20-30 min before being spotted and then i would see calhoun motion to an assistent who would walk up and tell me i had to leave.

similar story, but i would have preferred your ending lol.

Reaction Score
Tough son of a gun..Four time cancer survivor..Great in game coach.. Great humanitarian.. Family man.. Always enjoyed watching him chillin' with Howie and George(and all of his other excellent assistants) after another hard fought victory.. He always seemed to appreciate their contributions..

Last edited:

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
Loved the 1999 NCAA Final in Tampa. About midway through the first half, Jimmy sent in Antric Klaiber for about 2-3 minutes. Just his own way of saying to K, "We're not only going to beat you, we're going to do it with the end of our bench." He was always so subtle.

Reaction Score
I really like the fact I share his birthday, 26 years apart. On one hand kind of lame, but on the other... he did the greatest building job a college basketball coach has ever done. And he did it at my alma mater. Birthday also shared with Fred Astaire, Bono and Waye Dyer. An eclectic mix, for sure.

His 1st season was my freshman year. And I will forever remember him for having an iron will to make things happen; pushing, proding and conjoling effort out of everyone around him including himself that I have seen precious few other people possess in my lifetime. That, more than anything else is what always separated him from all of his peers.

Reaction Score
I really like the fact I share his birthday, 26 years apart. On one hand kind of lame, but on the other... he did the greatest building job a college basketball coach has ever done. And he did it at my alma mater. Birthday also shared with Fred Astaire, Bono and Waye Dyer. An eclectic mix, for sure.

His 1st season was my freshman year. And I will forever remember him for having an iron will to make things happen; pushing, proding and conjoling effort out of everyone around him including himself that I have seen precious few other people possess in my lifetime. That, more than anything else is what always separated him from all of his peers.
An underrated part of JC's legacy was working the refs.. After a few body punches to them on calls he disagreed with.. He would take a page from the Bobby Knight School of Charm..He would simply fold his arms..Say nothing.. And give them the WTF stare.. Classic..

Reaction Score
An underrated part of JC's legacy was working the refs.. After a few body punches to them on calls he disagreed with.. He would take a page from the Bobby Knight School of Charm..He would simply fold his arms..Say nothing.. And give them the stare.. Classic..
Thats the image I get when I hear the name "Jim Calhoun". Standing with his arms crossed giving the death stare. Greatest build of all time and the 2011 run to a title with Kemba is the best run of all time. Dont give me no poop about Danny Manning. Kemba 2011 end of story!

Reaction Score
Loved the 1999 NCAA Final in Tampa. About midway through the first half, Jimmy sent in Antric Klaiber for about 2-3 minutes. Just his own way of saying to K, "We're not only going to beat you, we're going to do it with the end of our bench." He was always so subtle.
It was in the 2nd half that Antric played I believe

Reaction Score
Being a messiah to the University and the State.

Reaction Score
How about coaching 2 weeks after prostate surgery. Doctor told me that JC must be the toughest man alive to do that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom