Jim Calhoun talks NIL, NCAA transfers | The Boneyard

Jim Calhoun talks NIL, NCAA transfers

Reaction Score
I was wondering recently how Calhoun would fare in this new college basketball world. I'm sure he would adapt and kick butt just like he did with everything.

“If I was coaching, would I do NIL? Of course, you’ve got to compete,” Calhoun said. “What’s the long-term effect going to be? You don’t have to be a coach or anything else to say, ‘now, let me get this straight. I can go anywhere I want, any time I want, through the transfer portal, and you’re going to pay me?’ And the government says there is no turning back. That’s what scares me. I love college athletics and I always will, but we’ve got to get some form of [control.] Legal, regulated things. There’s got to be a much better way than the wild, wild west. I said this a year ago that it’s not going to work. I wish I was wrong.”

“You hear, ‘I can’t get five transfers and play the way I want to play,’” Calhoun said. “What I see is not a good ending. I don’t know what the good ending is. I know people say, ‘kids should to be able to transfer.’ Yeah ... I hate to throw everything at the NCAA because they have an impossible job, I understand that. But when they picked and chose who got a waiver and who didn’t, that kind of set this whole thing up.

“I would adapt, sure. But right now, it’s not in a great state. I worry about our future.”

Alternate free link:

Jim Calhoun talks NIL, NCAA transfers and his new namesake gymnasium at Saint Joseph

Reaction Score
"I love college athletics and I always will, but we’ve got to get some form of [control.] Legal, regulated things."

legally binding contracts is how we handle this everywhere else. Contracts between Universities and athletes is coming.

Reaction Score
"I love college athletics and I always will, but we’ve got to get some form of [control.] Legal, regulated things."

legally binding contracts is how we handle this everywhere else. Contracts between Universities and athletes is coming.
??

What would those contracts even say?

I mean, the player will never go to class. And the school is going to hold them to what?

Or the kid will go to class and make loud bird noises until he gets thrown out.

Explain this to me.

Because I can see a kid getting out of a commitment 100% of the time. With ease. The school will be dying to let the kid out of the contract.

Reaction Score
??

What would those contracts even say?

I mean, the player will never go to class. And the school is going to hold them to what?

Or the kid will go to class and make loud bird noises until he gets thrown out.

Explain this to me.

Because I can see a kid getting out of a commitment 100% of the time. With ease. The school will be dying to let the kid out of the contract.
Those are good questions. I'm not sure I have the answers. I don't think anyone does yet. It also seems like JC is thinking some of the same thoughts. I don't think he used the words "legal" and "regulated" by accident.

I think you can ask the same questions about professional players. Why doesn't a professional athlete act like a fool (make loud bird noises) to get out of a contract. The NCAA may have to behave like a professional league in some capacity. I think professional teams have some recourse if an opposing team undermines a contract with one of their current players. For example, if the Lakers want to sign a player from an opposing team I don't think they can work with that player to undermine their current contract. If the player refused to practice with their current team, behaved like a fool, undermined the team to the point they get released. Then signs immediately with the Lakers and its determined the Lakers were somehow aware or involved with the plan to get released. I think the Lakers would be legally liable.

In general, the NCAA universities may need to learn some lessons from professional leagues. How do professional leagues deal with the issues you bring up?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Those are good questions. I'm not sure I have the answers. I don't think anyone does yet. It also seems like JC is thinking some of the same thoughts. I don't think he used the words "legal" and "regulated" by accident.

I think you can ask the same questions about professional players. Why doesn't a professional athlete act like a fool (make loud bird noises) to get out of a contract. The NCAA may have to behave like a professional league in some capacity. I think professional teams have some recourse if an opposing team undermines a contract with one of their current players. For example, if the Lakers want to sign a player from an opposing team I don't think they can work with that player to undermine their current contract. If the player refused to practice with their current team, behaved like a fool, undermined the team to the point they get released. Then signs immediately with the Lakers and its determined the Lakers were somehow aware or involved with the plan to get released. I think the Lakers would be legally liable.

In general, the NCAA universities may need to learn some lessons from professional leagues. How do professional leagues deal with the issues you bring up?

In the pros, all the teams abide by a collectively bargained contract so that when a player tries to blow his way out of a contract, the other teams are forbidden from signing him.

So, those contracts don't work until we return to stopping transfers. This is what the NFL and NBA do. They prevent player transfers.

Reaction Score
In the pros, all the teams abide by a collectively bargained contract so that when a player tries to blow his way out of a contract, the other teams are forbidden from signing him.

So, those contracts don't work until we return to stopping transfers. This is what the NFL and NBA do. They prevent player transfers.
The point of signing a contract would be to stop the transfers. Or one the points

Edit: are we saying the same thing?

Reaction Score
The point of signing a contract would be to stop the transfers. Or one the points

Edit: are we saying the same thing?
I'm saying an individual school couldn't stop a transfer. It would have to be a college rule. You can't prevent a kid from leaving, you can only prevent him from playing somewhere else. That's how the pros do it.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
I was wondering recently how Calhoun would fare in this new college basketball world. I'm sure he would adapt and kick butt just like he did with everything.

“If I was coaching, would I do NIL? Of course, you’ve got to compete,” Calhoun said. “What’s the long-term effect going to be? You don’t have to be a coach or anything else to say, ‘now, let me get this straight. I can go anywhere I want, any time I want, through the transfer portal, and you’re going to pay me?’ And the government says there is no turning back. That’s what scares me. I love college athletics and I always will, but we’ve got to get some form of [control.] Legal, regulated things. There’s got to be a much better way than the wild, wild west. I said this a year ago that it’s not going to work. I wish I was wrong.”

“You hear, ‘I can’t get five transfers and play the way I want to play,’” Calhoun said. “What I see is not a good ending. I don’t know what the good ending is. I know people say, ‘kids should to be able to transfer.’ Yeah ... I hate to throw everything at the NCAA because they have an impossible job, I understand that. But when they picked and chose who got a waiver and who didn’t, that kind of set this whole thing up.

“I would adapt, sure. But right now, it’s not in a great state. I worry about our future.”

Alternate free link:

Jim Calhoun talks NIL, NCAA transfers and his new namesake gymnasium at Saint Joseph

I couldn't agree more. This is like watching the NBA draft, except the best teams are picking first. The NBA might be better, because at least there's a rookie pay scale.

Reaction Score
I'm saying an individual school couldn't stop a transfer. It would have to be a college rule. You can't prevent a kid from leaving, you can only prevent him from playing somewhere else. That's how the pros do it.
Makes sense. My assumption is the contracts would be similar to an NBA contract. The NCAA and the universities would essentially be a league. With penalties for tampering with an opposing school's contracts.

Again, thinking out loud. I dont know what will happen. I do know the current situation is untenable, but we absolutely cannot go backwards to the way it was.

Reaction Score
Makes sense. My assumption is the contracts would be similar to an NBA contract. The NCAA and the universities would essentially be a league. With penalties for tampering with an opposing school's contracts.

Again, thinking out loud. I dont know what will happen. I do know the current situation is untenable, but we absolutely cannot go backwards to the way it was.
The problem of course is that this is what the schools used to have as a system but they went away from it; they didn't like it.

Reaction Score

Schools should get a transfer fee. Not kidding .

Mac school player goes to Kentucky? $1 million transfer fee .

There has to be a way to encourage player development.

As of now? Much more efficient to go to portal to fill out your secondary players as experienced transfers than go get unproven high school kids .

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
@HooperScooper Thanks for posting this. Good insights from Coach Calhoun. College basketball seems to moving away from developing student athletes and successful programs, and more toward building a successful, results-driven business. I have to say, from my standpoint as a fan, the current trend is somewhat of letdown also as the increasing lack of program loyalty on the part of student athletes kind of makes everyone more like Kentucky (specifically, the thing I despise about Kentucky) in that there a completely new set of faces every couple of years.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Ship has sailed.

NCAA gave in to the mob instead of trying to set up guardrails; too late to do it now.

It is what it is.

Reaction Score
Ship has sailed.

NCAA gave in to the mob instead of trying to set up guardrails; too late to do it now.

It is what it is.
Mark Emmert’s wonderful stewardship. This has to rival the guardrails he put in place in regards to UConn 2000.

Reaction Score
The problem of course is that this is what the schools used to have as a system but they went away from it; they didn't like it.
The players would need something enticing to make the contracts worth allowing. Like payment.

Reaction Score
As far as I'm concerned, NIL and Transfer Portal are two things Emmert should be legitimately proud of.
Except that both of these were forced upon Emmert through athletes suing the NCAA.

Had Emmert (and the NCAA) addressed both issues up front and created some clear and concise rules we wouldn't be where we are today.

Instead Emmert stuck his head in the sand and took the position that "college athletes have always been amatuers and that's the way it's always going to be!"

Emmert and the NCAA have NOTHING to be proud of when it comes to either of these topics

Reaction Score
Except that both of these were forced upon Emmert through athletes suing the NCAA.

Had Emmert (and the NCAA) addressed both issues up front and created some clear and concise rules we wouldn't be where we are today.

Instead Emmert stuck his head in the sand and took the position that "college athletes have always been amatuers and that's the way it's always going to be!"

Emmert and the NCAA have NOTHING to be proud of when it comes to either of these topics
That's fair.

Reaction Score

Exactly, thanks for saving me a longer response.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom