Jim Calhoun on Steve Pikiell: 'It's a great day for Rutgers' | The Boneyard

Jim Calhoun on Steve Pikiell: 'It's a great day for Rutgers'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Makes our lives harder here... Have to sort out those inner negative feelings about Rutgers while still pulling for Pikiell..

Steve is in for a long few years.

Reaction Score
Five Things New Rutgers Coach Steve Pikiell Needs to Do

2. Bring in Jim Calhoun as an advisor

The former UConn coach and Hall of Famer told me this weekend that his former point guard was "a great choice" for Rutgers.

"I think it's a great day for Rutgers," Calhoun said. "He's a great combination of a lot differrent things. He brings winning, he has tenacity, [he] built a program, and I think it's a great day for Steve and for Rutgers."

Calhoun said he had spoken several times to both Pikiell and Rutgers AD Pat Hobbs. What if Pikiell were to make Calhoun some kind of special advisor to the program, similar to what Gene Keady was to Steve Lavin at St. John's? Calhoun would bring instant credibility and a knowledge of the Northeast.

Reaction Score

The former UConn coach and Hall of Famer told me this weekend that his former point guard was "a great choice" for Rutgers.

"I think it's a great day for Rutgers," Calhoun said. "He's a great combination of a lot differrent things. He brings winning, he has tenacity, [he] built a program, and I think it's a great day for Steve and for Rutgers."

Calhoun said he had spoken several times to both Pikiell and Rutgers AD Pat Hobbs. What if Pikiell were to make Calhoun some kind of special advisor to the program, similar to what Gene Keady was to Steve Lavin at St. John's? Calhoun would bring instant credibility and a knowledge of the Northeast.

Calhoun at Rutgers? Man I don't think I can process that.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

lmao. w tf. smh. .

Reaction Score
Calhoun is on the UConn payroll. He cannot be brought in as an adviser. It's a direct conflict of interest.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Yeah, doesn't Calhoun essentially advise UConn already? Good luck with that.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Crap Rutgers may have actually hired a good coach.
It's still Rutgers.

I feel good for Steve, but I'd rather have had non-UConn guy in the position. Watching RU poop the bed has been so entertaining over the years.

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score

Even though I know it won't happen......
giphy.gif

Reaction Score
They were never relevant so I don't understand all the hate for Rutgers. Good luck to Steve because he will need it.

Reaction Score
Calhoun is on the UConn payroll. He cannot be brought in as an adviser. It's a direct conflict of interest.
Great point. And he's making a lot more from UConn than Rutgers would probably offer as a consultant.

Just Zagoria throwing stuff out there anyway.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I must disagree with coach here. It's ALWAYS a bad day for Rutgers.

Reaction Score
Calhoun at Rutgers? Man I don't think I can process that.
Yeah, doesn't Calhoun essentially advise UConn already? Good luck with that.

I wonder/hope he means "in spirit"?????

KSargeantNJ 12:40pm via Twitter Web Client
Pikiell says he will lean on Jim Calhoun for advice; 'he'll be in stands here' rooting for #rutgers

Last edited:

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I must disagree with coach here. It's ALWAYS a bad day for Rutgers.

How about when they get their B1G distributions? That must be a pretty good day in the RU treasurer's office.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'm hoping Steve at least does a solid job there. What are the facilities like? The RAC is kinda small - seats like 8,000 - but the fans are right on top of the court and if they are engaged, it could be really loud for the home team. Wish Steve the best. My new favorite team in their league...

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I'm hoping Steve at least does a solid job there. What are the facilities like? The RAC is kinda small - seats like 8,000 - but the fans are right on top of the court and if they are engaged, it could be really loud for the home team. Wish Steve the best. My new favorite team in their league...

In a word, they suck.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Yeah, kind of like the song Money For Nothing by Dire Straits, "Get your money for nothing....."

Louisville needs serious help with the second half of that lyric, "...and your chicks for free."

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Pikiell had a nice setup at Stonybrook. I'm really surprised he left that for The Dumpster Fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom