Jim Calhoun helps save St. Joes. | The Boneyard

Jim Calhoun helps save St. Joes.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
An excellent read. I especially like this part:
"In the process, Calhoun helped transform UConn from a regional school to one of the nation's top public universities."
JC doesn't get enough credit for that.

Reaction Score
Hate to admit it. The woman's basketball program was very key in turning UConn from a regional school to one of the nation's top public universities."

Reaction Score
The political support to make UConn a very good public institution was only there because of the basketball program.

Not just the political support, but also making UConn an attractive destination for top students.

We are the only “big state school” in the New England and New York areas that can offer that “big state school experience” with regards to sports and campus spirit.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Hate to admit it. The woman's basketball program was very key in turning UConn from a regional school to one of the nation's top public universities."
Why hate to admit? It's great when any sport at UCONN achieves success - Men's and women's soccer, polo, field hockey, and both men's and women's hoops have all won national championships. I think all of it helps. Of course, football and men's hoops are the most important, but WCBB is not chopped liver...

Are there any other sports we've won a NC in?

Reaction Score
Program*

Yeah there are some fools here who like to poke fun at the women’s program (and it’s generally good natured)...but you’re not winning any friends going down this track.

You can take or leave WBB as a sport, whatever. However, do not try and downplay or discredit the amazing success that program has had or the impact it’s had on the school.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Why hate to admit? It's great when any sport at UCONN achieves success - Men's and women's soccer, polo, field hockey, and both men's and women's hoops have all won national championships. I think all of it helps. Of course, football and men's hoops are the most important, but WCBB is not chopped liver...

Are there any other sports we've won a NC in?

Field Hockey, Soccer

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Yeah there are some fools here who like to poke fun at the women’s program (and it’s geberally good natured)...but you’re not winning any friends going down this track.

You can take or leave WBB as a sport, whatever. However, do not try and downplay or discredit the amazing success that program has had or the impact it’s had on the school.

There’s nothing “generally good natured” about poking fun at student athletes performing at the highest level because “I’m a man and I don’t like watching women’s basketball.”

That’s called being an imbecile.

(not calling you out)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I truly believe without the success of BOTH basketball programs on the national stage the legislators would have never believed UConn could reach these levels as a school.

Reaction Score
No.
Why?

Because, in general, I don't watch women's sports. The level of play is a big step down from the men. That ain't hate, it's just a fact.

But their win of the '95 championship really put UConn 2000 over the top in Hartofrd. So they deserve a lot of credit for that. They deserve their due.

Reaction Score
There’s nothing “generally good natured” about poking fun at student athletes performing at the highest level because “I’m a man and I don’t like watching women’s basketball.”

That’s called being an imbecile.

(not calling you out)

No of course not, I’m thinking more along the lines of the jabs about the age of the fans. It’s never acceptable to make fun of the players.

Reaction Score
The political support to make UConn a very good public institution was only there because of the basketball program.

Can we ... put this in CAPITAL LETTERS and BOLD

Many of us who’ve watched this University over 40-50 years know this. A solid school ... made a Leap because of Calhoun. Then Auriemma + Morrone ... and sprinkling in a academic thrust. It’s a far better and more substantial school today.

Reaction Score
You can like Women's basketball or you can hate it, but anyone who doesn't appreciate the outstanding excellence and achievements of the Lady Huskies knows nothing about this game on any level.

Reaction Score
Yeah there are some fools here who like to poke fun at the women’s program (and it’s generally good natured)...but you’re not winning any friends going down this track.

I actually respect the program and tune in and root for them when it's final four time. My angle is that success in Men's basketball plays a much bigger role in elevating the prestige and brand recognition than success in Women's basketball. I also think that success in football increases national prestige more than basketball does.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom