Jim Calhoun 'couldn't be prouder' of UConn men's basketball, Dan Hurley's growth as coach (Borges) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Jim Calhoun 'couldn't be prouder' of UConn men's basketball, Dan Hurley's growth as coach (Borges)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Not to rehash things I don’t follow that closely but didn’t he win by an arbitration, and mostly because of the union contract? Not that he didn’t do what UConn claimed he did

Scoreboard

Reaction Score
Scoreboard
Serious question. Legit not trying to be difficult. Do you know KO? You seem personally involved and emotional about the whole thing like there are connections. If you don't want to answer and that's too personal that's cool and I understand.

Reaction Score
Serious question. Legit not trying to be difficult. Do you know KO? You seem personally involved and emotional about the whole thing like there are connections. If you don't want to answer and that's too personal that's cool and I understand.
This. I don't quite get it either. I don't think this is about what it's about.

And i suppose if "Scoreboard" is the argument, then as it pertains to KO's career outlook after taking a crowbar to the neck of his own (and your/my/our) program then... scoreboard ??? i guess

Reaction Score

And i suppose if "Scoreboard" is the argument, then as it pertains to KO's career outlook after taking a crowbar to the neck of his own (and your/my/our) program then... scoreboard ??? i guess

This idea that Ollie is somehow blackballed from the coaching profession is a Boneyard creation, though. I'm not sure the people in the camp that believe that UConn came out of the Ollie fiasco looking terrible are the ones who are overly emotional. To me it's the people who have consistently been the most spectacularly wrong about how this would shake out that continue to be the loudest.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

1) Many on this board argued, and still argue, that Ollie was not due his buyout because he had a bad year in 2018. They have been proven spectacularly wrong. Some of us pointed out at the time that UConn was probably going to lose this case.
2) Staying in the American was a catastrophically stupid thing for UConn to do. It damaged all three major programs, and we are lucky we still have a viable athletic program. Some of us predicted this would be a disaster a decade ago. In a move that doesn't surprise me at all, all three programs have strengthened considerably since leaving that hell hole of a league.
3) Say whatever you want about Ollie, he won a national championship. There are only about 20 men alive that can say that they did that.
4) UConn took it a step further from just firing Ollie and destroyed Ollie's character and manufactured a "show cause" penalty on Ollie by reporting on themselves as a way to get out of the Ollie contract. It was a truly repulsive move by UConn. I have not made any donations to UConn since the school did this. A school shouldn't teach ethics if it can't practice them.

I have no problem with Ollie getting fired in 2018. He was clearly mailing it in and it was time for a change. I do have a problem with the non-stop Ollie hate by this board. Like I said above, he won a national championship. He is also a human being and a UConn alum it says a lot about many of the posters on this board that they think a man's life should be ruined because he didn't win enough games for the team they like. I am honestly embarrassed that these people went to the same school as me.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Nelson is a caustic jerk ( which I admire in some small way) but he’s right. I said same thing when we tried to void buyout. It was dumb considering the parameters. And it was. I got killed on here for it. But I was right ( for once ;-) . We were penny wise and pound foolish and a bunch of us saw it from day one. It doesn’t matter. We ended in a better spot, which we ALL recognized needed to happen. But that part had nothing to do with basketball.

Reaction Score
Skipped to the last page here. Little lost with the conversation, was Calhoun proud of Dan Hurley after the game?

Reaction Score
If I recall In the end it came down to Ollie’s contract being superseded by the protection afforded him as if he was a professor and that is what saved his ass.

His contract had language giving the university a pretty easy route to can him if any rules were broken (prior NCAA violations caused UConn to insert this).

What is really amazing is that UConn’s own representation didn’t realize this was a possibility.

Reaction Score
Natty #5 heals all wounds. It would be great for Ollie to be welcomed back. Maybe Ray (who seems to be the closest to Ollie) can help broker the reunion. One of the coolest things of this year’s final four is all the former UConn players who came to Houston. Really would be great to have more of them at games and make it a thing going forward

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
If I recall In the end it came down to Ollie’s contract being superseded by the protection afforded him as if he was a professor and that is what saved his ass.

His contract had language giving the university a pretty easy route to can him if any rules were broken (prior NCAA violations caused UConn to insert this).

What is really amazing is that UConn’s own representation didn’t realize this was a possibility.

UConn knew what they were doing every step of the way, and they chose to do it anyway. It says a lot about the university leadership that they tried something like that. It was stupid and unethical, and reflected very poorly on the university.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
UConn knew what they were doing every step of the way, and they chose to do it anyway. It says a lot about the university leadership that they tried something like that. It was stupid and unethical, and reflected very poorly on the university.
The guy was a complete bum and they took a shot. The only repercussions seem to be lingering hard feeling by a few of his buds.

Reaction Score
It says it right in the article, he felt sick and broke out in a cold sweat waiting to board the plane. At his age that's a concern and he also didn't want to get others sick.
That is unfortunate. I'm sure Coach would not have missed the opportunity to reunite with 85 former players at one time unless he was very sick.

Reaction Score
The guy was a complete bum and they took a shot. The only repercussions seem to be lingering hard feeling by a few of his buds.
Cmon — you can make ad hominem attacks about him being a bum but “taking a shot” to nullify a massive contract that he earned with a title is low. He’s a Husky, former player, former coach, title winner. Why would you take a shot at someone on the same team.

I suppose KO also took a shot by mailing it in, which is also horrible because of the lasting damage.

Let’s put it to rest for now and hope for a reconciliation of some sort… ugh

Reaction Score
That is unfortunate. I'm sure Coach would not have missed the opportunity to reunite with 85 former players at one time unless he was very sick.
True — scary stuff. He’s been fighting for better health for years. Remember when he fell during the charity bike ride, broke a bone, and kept going. What a champ.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Capturing this for posterity.
Did you capture the one in November where I said to start up the bandwagon? Or the one that declared Mora a home run hire the day of the announcement?

Reaction Score
Ollie demolished UConn in court. That’s the only pertinent answer here. Money talks, and bullspit (like your argument) walks. If the NCAA penalty was valid legally, UConn would be $15 million richer.

No one needs to argue that Ollie’s NCAA penalty was valid again, because $15 million says that my characterization is right and all of yours are wrong.

Got anything else?
So you're saying UConn did not suffer any penalties as a result of the charges the NCAA filed and adjudicated against UConn?
No probation for the program?
No elimination/vacation of records for games in which ineligible players competed?
No reductions in scholarships?
No fine?
And no restrictions on recruiting or contacting players?

If that's what you're saying then you should read the quotes below from CBS Sports. Link and quotes below:
NCAA hits former UConn coach Kevin Ollie with three-year show-cause penalty; Huskies avoid major sanctions.
  • Two years of probation for the men's basketball program.
  • A three-year show-cause sanction for Ollie.
  • Elimination/vacation of records for games in which certain UConn players played, but have retroactively been deemed ineligible.
  • Reduction of one scholarship, from 13 to 12, for the upcoming 2019-20 season. (UConn self-imposed this penalty.)
  • A $5,000 fine (UConn self-imposed).
  • Recruiting limitations: one-week ban for unofficial visits and any kind of digital or phone communication toward recruits in 2018-19 (already imposed by UConn) and a two-week ban on unofficial visits for the upcoming season; four fewer recruiting days in 2018-19 and 2019-20; and "a one-visit reduction from the permissible number of official visits in men's basketball during the rolling 2018-19 and 2019-20 two-year period."

Reaction Score
1) Many on this board argued, and still argue, that Ollie was not due his buyout because he had a bad year in 2018. They have been proven spectacularly wrong. Some of us pointed out at the time that UConn was probably going to lose this case.
2) Staying in the American was a catastrophically stupid thing for UConn to do. It damaged all three major programs, and we are lucky we still have a viable athletic program. Some of us predicted this would be a disaster a decade ago. In a move that doesn't surprise me at all, all three programs have strengthened considerably since leaving that hell hole of a league.
3) Say whatever you want about Ollie, he won a national championship. There are only about 20 men alive that can say that they did that.
4) UConn took it a step further from just firing Ollie and destroyed Ollie's character and manufactured a "show cause" penalty on Ollie by reporting on themselves as a way to get out of the Ollie contract. It was a truly repulsive move by UConn. I have not made any donations to UConn since the school did this. A school shouldn't teach ethics if it can't practice them.

I have no problem with Ollie getting fired in 2018. He was clearly mailing it in and it was time for a change. I do have a problem with the non-stop Ollie hate by this board. Like I said above, he won a national championship. He is also a human being and a UConn alum it says a lot about many of the posters on this board that they think a man's life should be ruined because he didn't win enough games for the team they like. I am honestly embarrassed that these people went to the same school as me.
It's not that he "didn't win enough games." He phoned it in for 3 years. He recruited from Youtube. He further imperiled the program by committing violations in the process. He didn't do the job. He effectively cheated the school -- your school.

But don't worry, I didn't go to UConn, so you don't have to be embarrassed that I have a different opinion on this.

Reaction Score
True — scary stuff. He’s been fighting for better health for years. Remember when he fell during the charity bike ride, broke a bone, and kept going. What a champ.
I do remember that charity bike incident. Scott Burrell, among others like Ray, was there to help and showed great concern for his former coach.

Here is the link. That happened in 2009 and he broke 5 ribs and got back on the bike for another 16 miles. Tough dude.

Reaction Score
He most certainly did not kick anyone's butt in court; he won at the whims of an arbitrator, that he never should have been in front of.
Apparently “someone”disagrees with. The ones that count make you factually wrong. What they found was as follows. ALL the allegations from Miller were completely unsubstantiated. Not one was substantiated by any member of the program, PERIOD. So how did the NCAA determine Coach Ollie lied. Also every coach , Geno, JC, and Diaco had a similar number of equal or more serious violations, with no punishment involved. Because of this KO o
Won and rightly so. They could have fired him and they should have paid him. That much has been proven. Get over it.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
If it was so cut and dried, why do the Ollie guys feel the need to gild the lily by saying he won in court when they know that's not true?

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Of all the "UConn was really right the whole time" arguments this idea that prevailing at arbitration is somehow meaningless or illegitimate is probably the dumbest.
I don’t know why this is so hard for so many. . We were absolutely right to change coaches. We were absolutely wrong in the way we did it. Both things are non negotiable truths. To make any other argument either way is beyond the pale.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Did you capture the one in November where I said to start up the bandwagon? Or the one that declared Mora a home run hire the day of the announcement?

It is hard to keep up with your posting spasms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom