Jim Calhoun Celebrity Classic canceled again | The Boneyard

Jim Calhoun Celebrity Classic canceled again

Reaction Score
Doesn't sound like it will continue in its past format.

The event, which typically occurs in early August, was canceled last year amidst the COVID-19 pandemic. The basketball game at Mohegan Sun Arena, which began in 1999 and has raised millions of dollars for the Pat and Jim Calhoun Cardiology Center, had actually been put on hold before the pandemic. Former stars who had played in the game for many years, including Ray Allen, Richard Hamilton, Caron Butler and Charlie Villanueva, were simply getting older, crowds had been getting thinner and the event was losing its spark in recent years.

According to Peter Gold, whose marketing firm, Gold, Orluk & Partners helps coordinate the event, the golf events could “possibly” return next year. The all-star game, not so much.

“Probably unlikely to zero,” Gold said of the chances. “At least not in the form that we know it. What it will look like in the future is uncertain.”

Free access article:

Reaction Score
Bummer, my kids really enjoyed this event. Always got great pictures and the games were fun. I'd much rather keep going to the well on Husky reunion tours than pay quadruple that to watch the 75yr old Eagles run it back.

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
Calhoun's guys are getting old. Not surprised by this at all. Attendance was really down the last few years

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The answer to the basketball game is simple.

Make it a round robin of JC players vs. KO players vs. DH players (those whose eligibility has expired for DH).

Reaction Score
I loved this event. I went to every game from 2004 until the last one in 2018. I have a lot of great memories like getting pictures with and meeting guys like Charlie V, Rashad Anderson, Kemba, Rip, Ray, Marcus Williams, and Calhoun. As a Yankee fan, it was essentially the UConn basketball version of an "Old Timers Day". I hope they can continue this in the future in some way.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
This sounds like the kind of thing Freeman could organize at his fake job. Could the school take on this project?

Reaction Score
This sounds like the kind of thing Freeman could organize at his fake job. Could the school take on this project?
No. The game benefits the Calhoun charity. Can’t utilize school/state resources for it.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I’ve only gone to one of these, but it was a blast. I’d love to see it go on in some way, shape or form.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Not for a personal charity like Calhoun’s. The schools resources are state funded.
Couldn't they take the format, and donate to a different charity? It's really just an excuse for a fun game anyways.

Reaction Score
I loved going to this event and talking to the former players. It was nice that they added some of the women players. I hope this event can continue.

Reaction Score
Will NIL allow an alumni game to be revived? Obviously this exact game had the Calhoun charity affiliation. Now UConn can sponsor the game and partner with every player that shows to mutually profit off vintage jerseys. Come to the game and get a signed jersey from your favorite Husky from every era!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Will NIL allow an alumni game to be revived? Obviously this exact game had the Calhoun charity affiliation. Now UConn can sponsor the game and partner with every player that shows to mutually profit off vintage jerseys. Come to the game and get a signed jersey from your favorite Husky from every era!
Come On No GIF by BasketsFX

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom