JI: Points haven’t come easy for UConn (no subscription required to read) | The Boneyard

JI: Points haven’t come easy for UConn (no subscription required to read)

Reaction Score
I found this the most interesting quote, it dispels the conjecture some have had that E is underperforming owing to health issues.

“When you’re a senior and you’ve played a lot of basketball in college, there are certain expectations you’d think you would have for yourself,” Auriemma said. “If you were to ask her, I’m sure she is probably not exactly thrilled with her performances the last couple games. Being a playmaker is exactly what we need and we haven’t gotten that, Being able to make some shots is what we’re looking for, and she’s had games where that’s exactly what she did: She made plays and she made shots. And right now, that’s not happening. I don’t think it’s anything physical.”

Reaction Score
I found this the most interesting quote, it dispels the conjecture some have had that E is underperforming owing to health issues.

“When you’re a senior and you’ve played a lot of basketball in college, there are certain expectations you’d think you would have for yourself,” Auriemma said. “If you were to ask her, I’m sure she is probably not exactly thrilled with her performances the last couple games. Being a playmaker is exactly what we need and we haven’t gotten that, Being able to make some shots is what we’re looking for, and she’s had games where that’s exactly what she did: She made plays and she made shots. And right now, that’s not happening. I don’t think it’s anything physical.”
Have listened to Geno since he started at UConn. When asked a question, there is one response that is really two answers. One, directly answers the question. The other sends a message to the player or team.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We all know that Evina can score more than she has been since Paige went down. Our guard play with turnovers is one of the two reasons we aren't scoring many points as we could. Our ability to feed the post properly needs improvement and somebody needs to get hot from 3 point land. Most teams in America have somebody that can down 3 pointers but we are very average without Azzi and Paige. Hopefully tonight we come out of our offensive funk.

sun

Reaction Score
IMO UConn should focus more on 2 point plays.
Nothing is worse than watching 2 teams going back & forth missing 3 pointers.
If players can attempt & miss 3 pointers, then they can also attempt some mid range shots.
The increased efficiency can lead to scoring 4 points instead of 3.
Plus they can build some confidence by making successful shots.
The new 3 point line is like a jinx for some players.
Every degree that a player is off with their shot at its onset becomes magnified by the time the ball reaches the basket.
There's no need to be a hero if 2 points will do.
If they're lucky enough to make some 3's then great, but if not then take the 2 point shot with a higher percentage.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Great article. Thanks for sharing. Great comments by Coach G as always. I know the shots will start falling soon. But players just have to trust themselves when they get that open look. In this case, Evina. If she goes 0-5 from mid-range, drive and get that contact. Get to the line and, hopefully, after making a few free throws, she gets a little confidence going and some rhythm. That might get her and the rest of the team going. Offensively, I noticed that we do rush a lot. We just have to slow it down a little.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom