Jhavon Williams, Delorenze, Hypolite, Donohue, Myers | The Boneyard

Jhavon Williams, Delorenze, Hypolite, Donohue, Myers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Jhavon Williams is going to be a good one and he's physical. Not sure what happened to Mack, but my guess is he has a hard time getting his position back.

I thought Delorenzo and Hypolite took some nice carries from scrimmage and that the OL responded to their ability to get into holes fast and hard. imho, we cannot rely on McCombs the way we have and I hope these coaches increase the carries for Max and Martin in a rotation with McCombs.

That the LBs on the roster could not beat out Donohue and the little we saw of Stewart has me greatly concerned for that position in the future, especially since Smallwood will go out early. Donohue is just too damn slow. I will say that Ashiru has looked infinitely better than Stewart which has me scratching my head.

Saw Myers make a very athletic play last night and he might be a real good one as well. Big kid and looks like be moves really well.

Reaction Score
If you saw the spring game, and you compare it with what you've seen out of Donahue, it leaves you scratching your head that Marquis Vann isn't playing. When you compare Ashiru and Stewart, you ask what are these coaches seeing in practice? Ashiru plays with explosiveness. He has been out of position sometimes, but he explodes when finishing plays and we just haven't seeing that from Stewart.

Reaction Score
If you saw the spring game, and you compare it with what you've seen out of Donahue, it leaves you scratching your head that Marquis Vann isn't playing. When you compare Ashiru and Stewart, you ask what are these coaches seeing in practice? Ashiru plays with explosiveness. He has been out of position sometimes, but he explodes when finishing plays and we just haven't seeing that from Stewart.

Exactly my question as well. Really makes me wonder if these guys can assess personnel.

Reaction Score
I thought Delorenzo and Hypolite took some nice carries from scrimmage and that the OL responded to their ability to get into holes fast and hard. imho, we cannot rely on McCombs the way we have and I hope these coaches increase the carries for Max and Martin in a rotation with McCombs.

These guys need more carries. They consistently move the pile forward or did not drop on the first hit. You can see max hit the few holes he had hard.

Reaction Score
Exactly my question as well. Really makes me wonder if these guys can assess personnel.

If you look at the stars from the recruiting rankings, the coaching decisions make a lot of sense.

Reaction Score
If Hypolite is as healthy as he seems to be get him out there. The guy looks big strong and ready.

Reaction Score
Max took a handoff, exploded straight to the hole and got 8-9 yards. No side to side butterfly dance. PP sits on personel the way he does timeouts. You do really have to question the personel evaluation abilities of these guys. Agree about Vann in the Spring game, what the heck explains him being on the bench? On passing downs we've got J Joseph at D-tackle. Why not put Knappe at D-tackle to knock down passes and JJ at D-end where he is used to playing?

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score

YEEEEESSS! Vann and Foxx were the stars of the spring game. I keep looking for him on the field...especially when Smallwood had to come out for a few plays in the 3rd quarter.

Reaction Score
If you look at the stars from the recruiting rankings, the coaching decisions make a lot of sense.

This staff definitely favors their their imports over the existing personnel ... Regardless of results.

Reaction Score

Stewart was playing very flat-footed in the first two games. Ashiru attacked and was decisive all game yesterday.

Reaction Score
Stewart was playing very flat-footed in the first two games. Ashiru attacked and was decisive all game yesterday.

Agreed. The conspiracy theorist in me thought back to Lagow and the insinuation that P was under pressure to play local players. I don't believe it, but it crossed my mind. I think Stewart is best suited for MLB, and with Yawin there they are trying to force him into the lineup.

Reaction Score
I agree with you guys 100% about Williams and Ashiru. I'll give Steward a little more time, but Donohue runs slower than The Fat White Guy.

Coach we are 0-3, give some kids a chance.

Reaction Score
I agree with you guys 100% about Williams and Ashiru. I'll give Steward a little more time, but Donohue runs slower than The Fat White Guy.

Coach we are 0-3, give some kids a chance.

Williams forced a fumble then signaled UConn ball while Michigan guys pounced on it during the drive when they got their FG. That hurt but he played a solid game.

Reaction Score
Williams forced a fumble then signaled UConn ball while Michigan guys pounced on it during the drive when they got their FG. That hurt but he played a solid game.
Loved that lick he layed on the Michigan RB..

Reaction Score
Ashiru looked to me to be the real deal. I'm not sold on any of the running backs, yet. I thought DeLorenzo looked good on a couple of runs, decisive, quick, but also looked less so on a couple. He went 12 yards, 6 yards, 1, 2, 1, 1 after that. On his one carry late, Hyppolite looked like the guy we've been looking for since Todman left. Fast, powerful got the extra yard. But frankly, McCombs looked good on a couple of runs too. I don't think the line is any good and none of these guys are good enough to make up for it.

Reaction Score
I'm not sold on any of the running backs, yet. I thought DeLorenzo looked good on a couple of runs, decisive, quick, but also looked less so on a couple. He went 12 yards, 6 yards, 1, 2, 1, 1 after that. On his one carry late, Hyppolite looked like the guy we've been looking for since Todman left. Fast, powerful got the extra yard. But frankly, McCombs looked good on a couple of runs too. I don't think the line is any good and none of these guys are good enough to make up for it.

I think it's pretty clear that we have a great pile of mediocrity at the RB position right now. I believe, though, that the run blocking is not as bad as we're making it out to be (it's inconsistent, but not consistently awful), and that McCombs' running style, indecision and inability to run through arm tackles is costing us yards on plays that are well blocked. I also believe that on those plays, DeLorenzo or Hyppolite would be getting 4-5 yards where McCombs is only getting 2-3.

Reaction Score
I love what I've seen from Ashiru.

I think Steward has been fast and explosive. He just hasn't finished. He is hurt right now, but when he was in there, he would either miss the tackle or overrun the play. Once the game slows down a little, he has the tools to be very, very good.

Reaction Score
I think it's pretty clear that we have a great pile of mediocrity at the RB position right now. I believe, though, that the run blocking is not as bad as we're making it out to be (it's inconsistent, but not consistently awful), and that McCombs' running style, indecision and inability to run through arm tackles is costing us yards on plays that are well blocked. I also believe that on those plays, DeLorenzo or Hyppolite would be getting 4-5 yards where McCombs is only getting 2-3.
I don't know about that. But I'd be willing to give it a shot at this point. We can't go on with under 50 yards rushing and expect to win any games. But I don't think our run blocking is much good. Guys are getting hit in the backfield too often. I'd also say we need to run quicker developing running plays. the ones that seemed to be the most effective were just relatively straight ahead quick hitters inside. We can't run off tackle right with , so we need to keep the ball inside where there are some holes. Unfortunately that's not McCombs best play.

Reaction Score
Donohue and Stewart need to pick it up a lot. If not they need to be replaced.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Donohue and Stewart need to pick it up a lot. If not they need to be replaced.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Donahue is what he is at this point. Stewart has the tools and will get better with experience. Sio Moore was all over the place early in his career.

Reaction Score
I forgot what play it was; but there was a run where McCombs was so locked onto his assigned route behind a pulling guard that resulted in a 1 yard gain that he missed a whole in the middle if the line that even I could have gained a half dozen yards. The Michigan fans in front of me even shook their head in relief that it was missed. Again, adaptability is an issue across the board with UConn and that starts right at the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom