Jewell Lloyd or Diamond Deshields | The Boneyard

Jewell Lloyd or Diamond Deshields

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Who do you rather have if you have to pick one for your team. JL definitely plays, and shoots like her idol Kobe Bryant, sometimes taking out of control shots and a bit selfish, but she is definitely smooth. Didn't she say something like nobody in wbb can guard her 1-1 ? Sounds like Kobe too :). So who has a higher ceiling ?

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I knew I should have just used JL vs DD.

To add to the confusion, JL's nickname is "JB" (for her first two initials - her middle name is Blessing).

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Diamond has about a 3" advantage. But I think JL has performed better at this point. I also like that Jewell shoots FTs at 90%. I vote JL.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Diamond :)
She said in a interview. That she played at about 75% last year. When she won FOY. She has a very high ceiling. I have said this before. If she plays 3 years at Tennessee. She can be one of the best too ever play there.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I would pick Diamond. Imagine her in a Duke uniform going into the game vs UNC. :D Im not sure the last sellout they had for a women's game over in Chapel Hill.... but they would need to move that game to the Smith Center for all the tickets that would sell :p

Reaction Score
She said in a interview. That she played at about 75% last year. When she won FOY. She has a very high ceiling. I have said this before. If she plays 3 years at Tennessee. She can be one of the best too ever play there.

Assuming she put more than 75% effort for those 3 years ? :)

I think DD is a phenomenal player, but seriously, what does it say about her when she says that she only put in 75% effort for her team last year. I think JL looks smoother personally.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Assuming she put more than 75% effort for those 3 years ? :)

I think DD is a phenomenal player, but seriously, what does it say about her when she says that she only put in 75% effort for her team last year. I think JL looks smoother personally.
That was 75% as far as health wise last year. At 100% wow will be all we can say. Oh yes she will also have a Gatorade POY next year also.

Reaction Score
Who do you rather have if you have to pick one for your team. JL definitely plays, and shoots like her idol Kobe Bryant, sometimes taking out of control shots and a bit selfish, but she is definitely smooth. Didn't she say something like nobody in wbb can guard her 1-1 ? Sounds like Kobe too :). So who has a higher ceiling ?

BREANNA STEWART

Reaction Score
The first time I watched DD last year, I was prepared to mourn what could have been if only she had chosen UCONN. Within a few minutes, I was thinking we had dodged a bullet, and as I watched her over the season, that opinion was only strengthened. The game plan seemed to have been: give it to me and go get the rebound. I don't know if the LV's know what they are in for.

JBL, ego or not, seems capable of playing within a system, and making her teammates better. She just doesn't have much to work with right now, so she has to be all that, and hope it is enough, which it wasn't the other day.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I'm not sure why there is this opinion that Diamond is a selfish player. There are friends I have on Facebook. That say she is sweet. Alexa Middleton after a pick up game. Ask Diamond about a move she did. Alexa said that Diamond was very thorough in explaining the move. It's in the Diamond DeShields first impression video on YouTube. Ivory Latta who coached her last year said she is not a selfish player.

Reaction Score
Great players get their points within the context/flow of the game. I felt watching DD and Sims from Baylor, that there wasn't an attempt to get their teammates involved. Chiney performed in a similar manner against us. One isn't beating five, especially not our five.

I'm not saying DD isn't a good person. I'm only saying that women's college hoops is a team sport and great players subordinate their own agenda for the good of the team.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Both players are similar when it comes to how talented they are and both will be successful at the next level. Not sure I could pick who has the most upside. Strictly from a marketing perspective, I'd probably chose Diamond.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Just my personal opinion, but I don't think Diamond stays more than 2 years. She'll want to be in the pros a.s.a.p.

Reaction Score
I would rather have Jewell Loyd any day over a selfish, no defense playing DD any day any season!
Does it surprise anyone that she went from NoCar where the coaches promised they wouldn't bother DD's game to TN and Holly Warlick that couldn't tell her own players were calling their own plays for 2 years?
There is no comparison between JL and DD! With the GREAT DD TN will not make the Final Four while ND most likely will make the FF in JL's Jr. & Sr. years!

Reaction Score
I don't see why there's this seeming need to denigrate opposing players as selfish.

Loyd HAD to take a lot of shots because no one else on her team was doing anything.
Geno recruited DD hard. Would he have done so if she were selfish?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Interesting question and one for which the data is a little 'incomplete'. There is a one year playing difference that is about to be two and I feel there is a serious difference in coaching going into the comparison as well. I also think the UNC performance this year is a bit of an indication of what they are not missing with DD's transfer. Most of us also only see these players in the context of Uconn games which can skew the results as the Uconn defense is a different beast from most other teams in the WCBB universe.
And teammates are a huge contributing factor to how we perceive players - Loyd this year is likely to be a very different player compared to last year playing with Achunwa and McBride, just as Sims her senior year was very different from the previous three years playing with Griner.
I suspect we will see a DD at TN that resembles a more talented Simmons - dynamic, but playing in a limited offensive system with limited coaching leading to a 'selfish' style of play. I expect that Loyd will continue to shine for ND though may be perceived as a more selfish player this year because she is clearly the most talented player for ND until Turner gets more seasoning.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Mary Ann
mary-ann.jpg

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I'm not sure why there is this opinion that Diamond is a selfish player. There are friends I have on Facebook. That say she is sweet. Alexa Middleton after a pick up game. Ask Diamond about a move she did. Alexa said that Diamond was very thorough in explaining the move. It's in the Diamond DeShields first impression video on YouTube. Ivory Latta who coached her last year said she is not a selfish player.

Well, she shot WAY too much last year. Not sure if it was on coaches' orders or not, but she shot an absurd amount of threes at a bad percentage. 172 attempted 3s and just 27.9% made. 30 more turnovers than assists.

Compare her percentages to Jewell's and it's no contest.

Loyd: 51.7% FG shooting, 39.8% 3FG shooting, 18.6 PPG, 1.2 A/TO ratio
DeShields: 42.6% FG shooting, 27.9% 3FG shooting, 18.0 PPG, 0.8 A/TO ratio.

Besides, "she'll be better next year", not sure what the argument for DeShields is.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22