Jesus just called me... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Jesus just called me...

Status
Not open for further replies.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
If we take this literally... does that mean our center has to be named Jesus? Or does he have to be Christian... what about agnostic... does that mean Jesus might be at the center... or might not? Or does the lord and savior actually have to hike the ball? :p

And can he hit a curve ball?

Reaction Score
Mind boggling. When I was young (in the 60s), every white catholic basketball player crossed himself at the line before shoooting a foul shot. The late, great, Al McGuire caused the tradition to go away in an incredibly short period of time, when he told one of his players that "I just heard from God and he asked me to tell you to stop doing it. He says you make him look bad every time you miss." And yet, here we are.

The Establishment Clause, while sometimes tricky at the margins, is just not that difficult here. Every player, every coach, is free to practice or not practice their religion as they see fit, but an arm of the government (including the UConn football team), and those who work for it in their capacities as employees, can't use the State to support any particular religion or religion as a whole.

So players can do what they want as individuals, and do (see prayer huddles after games), but a coach of a state university can't make prayer or Jesus part of the team or its routine.

Reaction Score
Mind boggling. When I was young (in the 60s), every white catholic basketball player crossed himself at the line before shoooting a foul shot. The late, great, Al McGuire caused the tradition to go away in an incredibly short period of time, when he told one of his players that "I just heard from God and he asked me to tell you to stop doing it. He says you make him look bad every time you miss." And yet, here we are.

The Establishment Clause, while sometimes tricky at the margins, is just not that difficult here. Every player, every coach, is free to practice or not practice their religion as they see fit, but an arm of the government (including the UConn football team), and those who work for it in their capacities as employees, can't use the State to support any particular religion or religion as a whole.

So players can do what they want as individuals, and do (see prayer huddles after games), but a coach of a state university can't make prayer or Jesus part of the team or its routine.
Red Auerbach tells a story about having lunch with Cardinal Cushing of Boston. He said to the Cardinal, I notice all those Catholic kids cross themselves before shooting fouls. Does that work? the Cardinal responed, "Of course it works...for good foul shooters."

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I always wondered if it was acceptable church practice for someone on the other team to cross himself to counter the kid on the foul line crossing himself.

Reaction Score
I always wondered if it was acceptable church practice for someone on the other team to cross himself to counter the kid on the foul line crossing himself.

Holy *t no!!! That would be almost as bad as throwing your ratty nasty undershirt from under pads in the laundry when you're on a win streak.

Reaction Score
I remember back in 2011 when the Penn State - Nebraska game started with all the players joining together for a prayer at mid field. Maybe the B1G likes prayers.

Reaction Score
People are comprised of mind, body and spirit. Teams have trainers and coaches are dedicated to the athletes mental and physical development. Diaco and Jones obviously believe in spiritual development to create a better person and player. If a team is tied together spiritually, like a family, they tend to work together in greater harmony. The Military academies, although not necessarily religious are a good example of this. The SEC probably has the highest concentration of Christians (Bible belt) in the country and look at the kind of football they play. At UCONN we have had our share of issues with student athletes including stabbings, rape accusations, drug and alcohol issues and academic issues. A young man developing spiritually has a greater chance of averting some of those negative detours.

Kevin Ollie is a Christian and no one said you can't be a Christian and coach at a State School- YET. Christian coaches can still be great role models and share their faith in a private setting and at the same time be sensitive to others beliefs and mindful of what they say in public forums. Faith is always better exercised through ones actions anyway.

Players are allowed to openly share their faith. Geremy Davis gets together with several Christian teamates for prayer and bible studies. This is permissible on an individual basis as long as it is not sanctioned by the school. “This year I am in a strong relationship with Christ, and I want to build a platform and do just right and let everybody know that I am a believer and I trust him and I put everything in my life in his hands. It couldn’t come at a better time. Even though we are (0-9), I still want to show to him that I am still grateful, that I am still playing, I am still surrounded by great guys, I am having a pretty good season and family is backing me up.” GEREMY DAVIS - http://www.registercitizen.com/sports/20131117/geremy-davis-finds-strength-in-his-faith
Sounds like a pretty good guy to me! It would be nice to have 50 Geremy Davis's at UCONN.

I lettered in 3 sports in Highschool and played football in college. I can remember many times when we said a team prayer as we reached out for super natural strength to do the best we could. When a player lays paralyzed on the field after a spinal cord injury, everybody is praying.

I can understand why Susan Herbst had to take a position on Earnest Jones statements. She represents a public University and is paid to perform a job. Having Godly men in the business of building men can be a good thing for UCONN as long as everybody stays withing the boundaries, respects one and other and nobody goes to extremes.

Hey I am praying right now that UCONN goes 13-0 next year!

Here are some shots of NFL players at mid field praying after NFL games.

https://www.google.com/search?q=nfl players praying after games&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=1fnWUr_yNKjLsQSv-oDICg&sqi=2&ved=0CDUQsAQ&biw=1024&bih=769

Last edited:

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Red Auerbach tells a story about having lunch with Cardinal Cushing of Boston. He said to the Cardinal, I notice all those Catholic kids cross themselves before shooting fouls. Does that work? the Cardinal responed, "Of course it works...for good foul shooters."
"Are you sayin' that can't hit a [free throw]?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate