Jessica signs with Atlanta | The Boneyard

Jessica signs with Atlanta

Status
Not open for further replies.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Looks like a full-on UConn reunion Sunday. Can't wait. Jess, Ketia, Tip vs. Asjha, Tina, Renee, Kalana. I feel so lucky to be able to see these guys in their pro careers each summer. Great seats, easy parking, 1/2 hour from seat to living room. :)

GO SUN!!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
And Atlanta suddenly becomes a Husky Hot Spot after having zero Uconn alums a year ago.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
I was hoping Paris would been given a chance, but MM didn't really play her that much this season.

Reaction Score
I was hoping Paris would been given a chance, but MM didn't really play her that much this season.

Courtney Paris was a four time All American and a very dominant college basketball player at Oklahoma. Was she overrated? Unsuited for the professional game? Unprepared for the professional game? Not well coached at the college level? Or, does she need to find a team more suited to her game? Let's face it, Atlanta is a team that likes to go up and down the floor and not waste too much of the shot clock.

Reaction Score
The Atlanta coach is on Geno's USA team coaches and figures out that UCONN players win Championships or at least get you there......

Reaction Score

You earn your playing time in practice. She got to practice, plenty of chance. She has been the opposite of Jeremy Lin; everyone assumed she was good enough until she actually failed to perform; everyone assumed Lin wasn't the real deal. Ann and Barb couldn't make solid careers in the WNBA and yet Ketia and Jessica have - they all had their chances, neither Paris sister has done it in the WNBA, just not good enough. Higher level of "minimum athleticism" in WNBA vs. college.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Courtney Paris was a four time All American and a very dominant college basketball player at Oklahoma. Was she overrated? Unsuited for the professional game? Unprepared for the professional game? Not well coached at the college level? Or, does she need to find a team more suited to her game? Let's face it, Atlanta is a team that likes to go up and down the floor and not waste too much of the shot clock.

She needs to be in better shape and develop her game. She needs a consistent mid-range jumper at her height (about 6-2), as she cannot use size to "bull people over" in the WNBA. She also is not in peak physical condition.

Reaction Score

Overall, Speed, Court Smarts/Saavy and Endurance trumps Bulk and Strength w/o Speed in the WNBA. I think the key reason why is the 24 second shot clock in the WNBA versus the 30 second shot clock in the NCAA. That extra time allows for more of an offense to be set up so that missmatches can be developed and exploited in the NCAA. With less time on the clock it is even more important for players to quickly switch from offense to defense and visa versa. A team can not afford to wait for a slower player to catch up.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Courtney Paris was only able to dominate players in college who were average college players or less. She did that with a combination of strength, size and average athleticism. She got a lot of rebounds and made a lot of layups. She did not have any mid range game, and she did not develop a better game while in college. That, plus her reputation is what got her those AA honors.. When she played against superior talents like Tina Charles, her weaknesses became much more apparent.

Every year, AA honors go to kids who were great college players, but don't have enough ability to perform at the next level. Courtney Paris is Exhibit A.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
So is Courtney not going to pay back her scholarship like she said she was going to do?

Reaction Score
She needs to be in better shape and develop her game. She needs a consistent mid-range jumper at her height (about 6-2), as she cannot use size to "bull people over" in the WNBA. She also is not in peak physical condition.

Overall, Speed, Court Smarts/Saavy and Endurance trumps Bulk and Strength w/o Speed in the WNBA. I think the key reason why is the 24 second shot clock in the WNBA versus the 30 second shot clock in the NCAA. That extra time allows for more of an offense to be set up so that missmatches can be developed and exploited in the NCAA. With less time on the clock it is even more important for players to quickly switch from offense to defense and visa versa. A team can not afford to wait for a slower player to catch up.

Courtney Paris was only able to dominate players in college who were average college players or less. She did that with a combination of strength, size and average athleticism. She got a lot of rebounds and made a lot of layups. She did not have any mid range game, and she did not develop a better game while in college. That, plus her reputation is what got her those AA honors.. When she played against superior talents like Tina Charles, her weaknesses became much more apparent.

Every year, AA honors go to kids who were great college players, but don't have enough ability to perform at the next level. Courtney Paris is Exhibit A.

My next questions, then, are:
1. Why is Courtney Paris not in great shape?
2. Why has Courtney Paris not developed the mid range game needed at the next level?
3. Do her college coaches bear any responsibility for her lack of development?
4. How does one account for Oklahoma's success? Three Final fours in nine seasons is better tan respectable. Yet Stacey Dales, Courtney Paris, and Danielle Robinson did not/have not torn it up at the next level.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
My next questions, then, are:
1. Why is Courtney Paris not in great shape?
2. Why has Courtney Paris not developed the mid range game needed at the next level?
3. Do her college coaches bear any responsibility for her lack of development?
4. How does one account for Oklahoma's success? Three Final fours in nine seasons is better tan respectable. Yet Stacey Dales, Courtney Paris, and Danielle Robinson did not/have not torn it up at the next level.
1. Ask her.
2. See #1.
3. Yes.
4. Dales had the ability, just did not want to do it, I guess. I think the jury is still out on DRob, and CParis has missed her chance. As for OU's success, I think you have to give the coaching staff some credit, just as you have say the LV coaching staff failed over the past 4 years with the talent they had to work with.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
To get back to Jessica Moore, I am surprised at this turn of events, although I'm sure it is a good outcome for her. But supposedly the reason she was not back with the Sun this year is that she was injured during the winter and needed to take the summer off. If her injury is now healed enough that she can play this year in the WNBA, I'm puzzled as to why she isn't back with the Sun instead of Chay Shegog.

I wonder if that was her decision or Mike Thibault's. I would think she would prefer to be with the Sun -- familiar state, fans who know and like her, three other Huskies, friends undoubtedly made last year. So I would speculate that Coach Thibault decided that he would rather have a young player (Shegog) at the end of his bench, with a rookie salary and growth potential, instead of a veteran who has probably maxed out on her potential in the league.

I guess it is a reasonable decision from the Sun's standpoint, but most likely a suboptimal but very satisfactory resolution for Jess Moore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom