Jessica Shepard transferring | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Jessica Shepard transferring

Reaction Score

She was obviously Nebraska's best player the past 2 years, any chance Geno kicks the tires here?

Why would he? He's got talent galore next year.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I sort of doubt the coaches are looking at any players that are leaving college in the next couple of years unless a top five kind of talent decided they were leaving their current team - the roster is pretty full of very talented kids next year and the following year, and while with three transfers on the team at the moment, taking transfers has never been a usual occurrence - failure to win commitments for post players over the last 4 years made the current transfers a very attractive proposition.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Jordy: A few questions on/comments resulting from both your comments.

- Chartrice White entered Illinois in 2014 and transferred after the end of the 2015-16 season. Jessica Shepard entered Nebraska in 2015 and announced her decision to transfer after the 2016-17 season. I followed the Illinois and Nebraska situations pretty closely last spring as they unfurled; in part because ND had been involved with White during her initial recruiting and then again as a transfer. And the Connie Yori situation caught my attention because a fairly successful program and its coach seemed to be caught up in a lot of "he/she/they saids" in which no one comes out ahead.

- I started reading the Boneyard throughout 2015 and joined in November of that year, so I didn't see whatever comments you may have made on White prior to that.

- And I must have missed the same on Shepard because I would've questioned it. Connie Yori is the most successful coach in Nebraska Women's Hoops and her teams were pretty steadily making the WNIT or NCAAs. Shepard committed early...before her freshman year in HS....and during that time Yori's team made the Sweet Sixteen and second round of the NCAAs.
When she joined her frosh year, she was playing with two pretty good guards in Rachel Theriot and Natalie Romeo and in 2016 two more Hoopgurlz 100 guards were going to join in Mi'Cole Cayton (now at California) and "Miss Basketball - Illinois," Kathleen Doyle (now starting for Iowa).

So, my question on Shepard is how did you know that was a bad situation for her from the get go? She grew up in and around the Lincoln area so her commitment to the Cornhuskers seemed to be as much cultural as anything else. And the end game seems to be another result of several connected situations going bad....

- As for Illinois, that seemed unstable from the very get go with player defections and lawsuits. You're right, I do remember Chartrice White and her father sticking with and supporting Bollant when no one else seemed to, but she saw the very plain writing on the wall.

BTW, I've seen White play a lot this year and still don't feel as if she's expanded/made her game more efficient since the transfer to FSU...until the last game against S.Carolina, where she looked challenged and started making some effective post moves and grabbing some strong rebounds against Carolina's bigs. Hope to see more of that next year.
Hunch. Guess. Premonition. I think whatever bird was whispering in my ear proved correct. They both left for whatever the reasons.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Jordy: A few questions on/comments resulting from both your comments.

- Chartrice White entered Illinois in 2014 and transferred after the end of the 2015-16 season. Jessica Shepard entered Nebraska in 2015 and announced her decision to transfer after the 2016-17 season. I followed the Illinois and Nebraska situations pretty closely last spring as they unfurled; in part because ND had been involved with White during her initial recruiting and then again as a transfer. And the Connie Yori situation caught my attention because a fairly successful program and its coach seemed to be caught up in a lot of "he/she/they saids" in which no one comes out ahead.

- I started reading the Boneyard throughout 2015 and joined in November of that year, so I didn't see whatever comments you may have made on White prior to that.

- And I must have missed the same on Shepard because I would've questioned it. Connie Yori is the most successful coach in Nebraska Women's Hoops and her teams were pretty steadily making the WNIT or NCAAs. Shepard committed early...before her freshman year in HS....and during that time Yori's team made the Sweet Sixteen and second round of the NCAAs.
When she joined her frosh year, she was playing with two pretty good guards in Rachel Theriot and Natalie Romeo and in 2016 two more Hoopgurlz 100 guards were going to join in Mi'Cole Cayton (now at California) and "Miss Basketball - Illinois," Kathleen Doyle (now starting for Iowa).

So, my question on Shepard is how did you know that was a bad situation for her from the get go? She grew up in and around the Lincoln area so her commitment to the Cornhuskers seemed to be as much cultural as anything else. And the end game seems to be another result of several connected situations going bad....

- As for Illinois, that seemed unstable from the very get go with player defections and lawsuits. You're right, I do remember Chartrice White and her father sticking with and supporting Bollant when no one else seemed to, but she saw the very plain writing on the wall.

BTW, I've seen White play a lot this year and still don't feel as if she's expanded/made her game more efficient since the transfer to FSU...until the last game against S.Carolina, where she looked challenged and started making some effective post moves and grabbing some strong rebounds against Carolina's bigs. Hope to see more of that next year.
And at the time I said I thought she'd be better served going to a Pac 12 school. I still think so. She may yet move west.

Reaction Score
Conditioning IS a basketball skill. I know women don't like to talk about weight but it really does matter in a sport like this.

Geno has asserted that it is paramount, the difference between good players and great players is that they don't get tired.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
From a post on the Oklahoma Sooners Forum
I see Pam(Asst Coach Pam Decosta) started following Jessica Shepard on twitter and Jessica is following Pam. Jessica also started following assistant coaches from Mizzou, Texas, Va Tech, and Notre Dame.

Interesting to see if there will be more added.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Geno has asserted that it is paramount, the difference between good players and great players is that they don't get tired.
And when the good players get tired, the great ones kick their posteriors! (Or words to that effect! :rolleyes:)

Reaction Score
From a post on the Oklahoma Sooners Forum
I see Pam(Asst Coach Pam Decosta) started following Jessica Shepard on twitter and Jessica is following Pam. Jessica also started following assistant coaches from Mizzou, Texas, Va Tech, and Notre Dame.

Interesting to see if there will be more added.
She would be a good add for OU

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom