Jersey Guy's opinion of next TV deal | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Jersey Guy's opinion of next TV deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Our league is worth less because our football is worth less. Hoops is irrelevant. If our hoops was worth less our league would be worth less.
I don't agree with that. In part the Big East's focus on basketball has been detrimental to football. It was leading up to 2003 wshen BC, Miami and VaTech left( and Syracuse wanted to leave but got repalced by Tech). It was in 2005 when the Big East added Depaul and Marquestte rather than 2 football-playing members, It was in 2011 when the Big East proposed to add Villanova and Syracuse and Pitt and West Virginia all decided to leave. Through all of that the focus was on building the best basketball league and the BigEast arguably did just that. Developing football as a major component of the conference was never a priority. It was always viewed as a necessity but mainly to keep the basketball conference together. the end result was that the league now has a great typewriter and a fine desktop. Unfortunately everyone is buying smartphones...

Reaction Score
I don't agree with that. In part the Big East's focus on basketball has been detrimental to football. It was leading up to 2003 wshen BC, Miami and VaTech left( and Syracuse wanted to leave but got repalced by Tech). It was in 2005 when the Big East added Depaul and Marquestte rather than 2 football-playing members, It was in 2011 when the Big East proposed to add Villanova and Syracuse and Pitt and West Virginia all decided to leave. Through all of that the focus was on building the best basketball league and the BigEast arguably did just that. Developing football as a major component of the conference was never a priority. It was always viewed as a necessity but mainly to keep the basketball conference together. the end result was that the league now has a great typewriter and a fine desktop. Unfortunately everyone is buying smartphones...

It took marquette and depaul rather than more football members because that was the political compromise that allowed the football schools to add louisville and usf and cincy and survive. Not because anyone made a mistake. The only "mistake" --- using your perspective -- that was made is that schools that wanted to play big time football joined a basketball conference. So blame UConn. (like at any point UConn had a better choice.)

Reaction Score
BL is right on. At no point has UConn had a better option than the BE. Some like to argue that the ACC wanted us instead of either Cuse or Pitt but we were somehow blocked by BC. That has always seemed wishful thinking to me. It implies a level of influence for BC that I have a hard time believing. At best we were all looked at as interchangable so none of the ACC schools (X-BC) cared. When will a better opportunity come along? Who knows. I hope that one does emerge but with FB likely to struggle for a least a few years, coaching change or not, I fear we have to get used to the idea that where we are is where we will stay for quite some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104
Top Bottom