Jersey Guy's opinion of next TV deal | The Boneyard

Jersey Guy's opinion of next TV deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This is sort of what I envisioned would happen. We are going to end up with a hybrid deal. It doesn't burn any bridges and builds a few new ones.

As much as I despise ESPN, if we remove everything from them, they will do their best to make us invisible.

Reaction Score
Interesting that he points out a huge challenge to ESPN down the road in conference networks. Would have to think that is the future...

Reaction Score
The amount of trolling on that blog is awesome.

Awesome comments by Hugh G Rection, Ben Dover, Eileen Ulick, etc. Plus someone commenting as Mark which is exactly how it appears when he replies and he doesn't know how to ban commenters.

Why does he no longer work for the Globe?

Reaction Score
I thought this was a logical resolution. And ... ahem ahem ... for the miscreants thinking we wouldn't be over $10m per school; we are there (thank you Mike Aresco & BE Presidents). Man up Warde Manual > we will be seeing better OOC

In ... this Paragraph:

Don’t be surprised if the Big East keeps Notre Dame, which is scheduled to make a move to the Atlantic Coast Conference in all sports but football, for a few more season. Don’t be surprised if the Big East non-conference schedule in football is upgraded considerably which would allow the other networks to have some quality match ups. A Boise State-Georiga game or a Louisville-Texas game would draw more interest than most Big East Conference games. Don’t be surprised if the Big East football championship game is also part of the other package.

Reaction Score
I thought this was a logical resolution. And ... ahem ahem ... for the miscreants thinking we wouldn't be over $10m per school; we are there (thank you Mike Aresco & BE Presidents). Man up Warde Manual > we will be seeing better OOC

In ... this Paragraph:

Don’t be surprised if the Big East keeps Notre Dame, which is scheduled to make a move to the Atlantic Coast Conference in all sports but football, for a few more season. Don’t be surprised if the Big East non-conference schedule in football is upgraded considerably which would allow the other networks to have some quality match ups. A Boise State-Georiga game or a Louisville-Texas game would draw more interest than most Big East Conference games. Don’t be surprised if the Big East football championship game is also part of the other package.
I think that's what we need. Sure we'll take our lumps, but we'll also get some shots at big wins which I think is what everyone wants.

I also think this notion that BE games aren't attractive is very short-sighted. When UofL played Cincy, people watched. It was a good game and showcased the conference well. it also had the potential for national implications. Rutgers proved to be Rutgers, but they had a chance to make the big stage as well. As long as we have 2-3 teams in the Top 25 each year with 1 in or close to the Top 10, we'll be fine. With Cincy, UofL, Boise, and USF we have a good core or programs that also have upward potential. Imagine if BYU is added to that group. I think these schools if given the chance can compete with the top programs.

I think we also have a good group of schools that are looking to get in that group with the likes of Rutgers, Uconn, Temple, SDSU, Houston, UCF and SMU. Rutgers had a mis step this season, but it would seem they are a program headed in the right direction.

Reaction Score
I'm confused. In every other conference, except the BE (and maybe the ACC), FB "drives the bus" In the BE, BB is used to leverage the payout to the FB schools? We better hope the BB onlies can't read this blog.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Which happens first. Georgia goes to Boise State or Texas goes to Louisville?

This guy is a total and complete blithering idiot - just expect the opposite of whatever he says to happen.

Reaction Score
I'm confused. In every other conference, except the BE (and maybe the ACC), FB "drives the bus" In the BE, BB is used to leverage the payout to the FB schools? We better hope the BB onlies can't read this blog.
Actually John, that is a huge problem f0r the big East. Its most valuable product is the one that doesn't have relatively speaking much value. Unless somebody is willing to overpay for Big East basketball to fill space

Reaction Score
Actually John, that is a huge problem f0r the big East. Its most valuable product is the one that doesn't have relatively speaking much value. Unless somebody is willing to overpay for Big East basketball to fill space

NO.

The Point is all Sports Content has more value. EPL just went for over twice their number. We aren't going to get close to the ACC (cause they have the 5th best FB ... and we are a distant 6th); but, if the ACC were doing the contract now, their number would exceed that $17m per school by a substantial margin. You have multiple bidders & lots of TV time to fill. Right or Wrong ... that's the market we landed in. "Overpay"? It is just the shape of the market & has been trending that way for 8 months.

We are the League with the next block of up&coming Programs = FB. Plus a valuable 30 year tradition of hoop. It has value.

Reaction Score
Of course it has value. the problem for the Big East is that the part of the conference that everyone wants is the part that won't generate the most income. In other words, Big East basketball might be the most valuable basketball product out there. Certainly near the top. But basketball has a low ceiling relative to football. everything else you say is right. But when your best product is one that doesn't generate the really big money, that is a problem. It is the difference between $8-10 million and $15-17 million. A simpler way of putting it is the basketball take is smaller than the football take always. So if the best thing you have to sell is basketball, you're always going to be behind.

Reaction Score
Well ... we are behind.

BUT, there is going to be a huge gap between our conference TV dollars & the number 7. There is no magic here; we are in a spot because we don't have the cache of Pitt/SU & I have no hope that we are going to see another round of expansion from any direction. Get the best you can. Make sure UConn's primary revenue sports (MensBB; WomensBB; FB) is as competitive as you can get. Instead if WVU & Pitt as rivals, we are going to see UCF & Houston. Tough to consider. But, we had no idea what was going to happen in 1998.

Reaction Score
Well ... we are behind.

BUT, there is going to be a huge gap between our conference TV dollars & the number 7. There is no magic here; we are in a spot because we don't have the cache of Pitt/SU & I have no hope that we are going to see another round of expansion from any direction. Get the best you can. Make sure UConn's primary revenue sports (MensBB; WomensBB; FB) is as competitive as you can get. Instead if WVU & Pitt as rivals, we are going to see UCF & Houston. Tough to consider. But, we had no idea what was going to happen in 1998.
Yes, but there is also likely a huge gap between us and #5. Which is a problem. And while wee didn't see this in 1998, perhaps (although arguably Lew Perkins kinda did) we certainly saw it since 2004. And instead of having a larger conference where teams like UCF and Houston were already ESTABLISHED major conference teams, Marinatto and his basketball allies tried to add friggin' Villanova!!! For that matter, instead of adding schools with football schools in 2004 we added Marquette and DePaul...I agree that we need to get the best we can get, and that may well put us way behind. And it demonstrates yet again what having "the best basketball conference in America" means.

Reaction Score
I can't imagine anyone defending or excusing Marinatto and his predecessors for our current weak position in the sprorts conference hierarchy. Had Aresco been in the job several years ago, there's little doubt he would have brought the Presidents some eye opening ideas, while demonstrating the business acumen to make it happen. Friends at a Pac 12 school were telling me that the difference between Larry Scott and his predecessor was immense. The President's were flabergasted at the creativity and bold approach of their new leader.While I'm unaware of his skill as a magician, I have hope Aresco can still pull some rabbits out of his Big East hat.

Reaction Score
Well, people right here used to defend Tranghese and Marinatto by saying that they just worked for the leaders of the member institutions.

That was always crap.

Commissioners execute the will of the schools, but great commissioners are great because they tell the Presidents what their will ought to be. Time to snap out of the backwards Providence thinking.

I think Aresco can do that.

I can't imagine anyone defending or excusing Marinatto and his predecessors for our current weak position in the sprorts conference hierarchy. Had Aresco been in the job several years ago, there's little doubt he would have brought the Presidents some eye opening ideas, while demonstrating the business acumen to make it happen. Friends at a Pac 12 school were telling me that the difference between Larry Scott and his predecessor was immense. The President's were flabergasted at the creativity and bold approach of their new leader.While I'm unaware of his skill as a magician, I have hope Aresco can still pull some rabbits out of his Big East hat.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm confused. In every other conference, except the BE (and maybe the ACC), FB "drives the bus" .

At this point, I'm just happy we have a bus.

Reaction Score
Well, people right here used to defend Tranghese and Marinatto by saying that they just worked for the leaders of the member institutions.

That was always crap.

Commissioners execute the will of the schools, but great commissioners are great because they tell the Presidents what their will ought to be. Time to snap out of the backwards Providence thinking.

I think Aresco can do that.
I've been saying the highlighted for ever. I first had a variation of that told to me by a Bd of Ed chairman. He said great superintendents tell the Board what to think but make it seem like it was the Board's idea. th eproblem with T&M is they didn't have any ideas of their own...

Reaction Score
I've been saying the highlighted for ever. I first had a variation of that told to me by a Bd of Ed chairman. He said great superintendents tell the Board what to think but make it seem like it was the Board's idea. th eproblem with T&M is they didn't have any ideas of their own...

I said the same thing on the football board a few months back. Presidents get paid to run schools. Commissioners stitch the conference together and array matters to build value.

With Marinatto and Tranghese we were always in cruise control. It was fire and forget leadership.

Reaction Score
Of course it has value. the problem for the Big East is that the part of the conference that everyone wants is the part that won't generate the most income. In other words, Big East basketball might be the most valuable basketball product out there. Certainly near the top. But basketball has a low ceiling relative to football. everything else you say is right. But when your best product is one that doesn't generate the really big money, that is a problem. It is the difference between $8-10 million and $15-17 million. A simpler way of putting it is the basketball take is smaller than the football take always. So if the best thing you have to sell is basketball, you're always going to be behind.

Our football is not worth less because our basketball has value. The football product is what it is, but to pretend that we suffer because basketball is valuable is wholly irrational.

Reaction Score

As the spouse of a long time Board of Ed member, I agree with your points as to Boards of Ed 1000%. But to compare leading a group of volunteers working a handful of hours a month at night to leading a group of highly compensated and egotistical school presidents with unlimited amounts of highly paid advisers on their staff is nuts. The situations could not be less comparable.

Reaction Score
That's why you have a commissioner with some firepower who can advise, build consensus and actually have a holistic vision.

Tranghese and Marinatto were reactive and all about the afterthought.

Reaction Score
Our football is not worth less because our basketball has value. The football product is what it is, but to pretend that we suffer because basketball is valuable is wholly irrational.
That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying our League is worth less because our basketball is our most valuable product. we never developed football properly and now are paying the price. Our football is worth less becaus it is made up of a bunch of teams with little history and tradition or who ar the 4th team in a 4 team market.

Reaction Score
That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying our League is worth less because our basketball is our most valuable product. we never developed football properly and now are paying the price. Our football is worth less becaus it is made up of a bunch of teams with little history and tradition or who ar the 4th team in a 4 team market.

Our league is worth less because our football is worth less. Hoops is irrelevant. If our hoops was worth less our league would be worth less.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
At this point, I'm just happy we have a bus.

A bus that's in serious need of a new transmission, new tires, new seats and that's just a start. An oil change and bright new paint job is only going to go so far....

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
A bus that's in serious need of a new transmission, new tires, new seats and that's just a start. An oil change and bright new paint job is only going to go so far....
Sadly the UConn football team can't even find its way onto this broken down vehicle. I'm not sure which is worse, the downhill spiral of the BE or the downhill spiral of UConn football.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom