Jerry West has died. | The Boneyard

Jerry West has died.

Reaction Score
86 years old. Not a good time period for my childhood heroes. Jim Otto died too.
Thanks, Ouremblem... West was clutch, a great shooter and a defensive standout as a collegiate and pro player and classy, smart and visionary as a basketball executive.

That he's the logo says pretty much what one needs to know about the NBA's level of respect for Jerry West. RIP, Jerry.

Reaction Score
Partner to my all-time favorite player, Elgin Baylor. What I remember about West's jump shot -- guarded closely, with his back to the basket, he'd jump up, twist 180 degrees in the air, and make the shot. I recall one NBA final where the Celtics seemingly had the game locked up in the final minute, but West brought the Lakers back, and I think they lost by two, causing Red Auerbach to almost swallow his lit cigar.

Reaction Score
One of the giants of West Virginia University athletes. Sad day for the school and the state.

Reaction Score
Younger people know Jerry West as a leading basketball executive but he was also a really great player. He averaged 27ppg for his career. In the 65 playoffs he averaged 40 ppg. In a game 7 finals loss to the Celtics he had a triple double with 42 points, 13 rebounds and 12 assists.
In the 1960 draft West was the #2 pick with the Big O going #1. Can anyone think of a better top two picks than those two?

Reaction Score
As a lifelong Celtics fan, I'm programmed in my very DNA to hate the Lakers. And I always will. But not the individuals. West had one of the most complete basketball careers in the history of the game. On the court and off he was a true winner. He led a long life, jam packed with accomplishments.

So, this is sad news. RIP, Jerry West.

Reaction Score
I think it's pretty simple, Jerry West was an icon in the world of basketball. RIP Jerry, your legacy will live forever.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ranon

Top Bottom