OT: - Jerry Lewis has died - at age 91 | The Boneyard

OT: Jerry Lewis has died - at age 91

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
End of an era!

I have read that he was surly and difficult to many, but it cannot be denied that he worked tirelessly, for many decades, to help kids with MD . Not sure how many millions of $ he raised and/or mobilized, but it was surely a LOT.

And besides, he made a lot of people laugh

RIP

Jerry Lewis dead at 91
- CNN

NY Times obit

21LEWISOBIT-hp-blog427.jpg

Reaction Score
Never found Jerry's type of comedy real funny. Glad it worked for him though and allowed what he was able to do for MD. A hero in my eyes in that department.
May he RIP as it is well deserved, he gave back to society without reservation.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
They say a comic says funny things and that a comedian says things funny. Comedians also do things funny. Jerry was a comedian whose innovations in the movie industry were as important as his ranking in the pantheon of comedians. Jerry always admitted that he was only funny because the man standing next to him made him so. Nevertheless, before him comedians pretty much either said or did things funny. Usually not both. Today in a world rife with a never ending slew of comics and comedy clubs, to me he still stands out. For 40 years (!) he was a staple on TV, my entire childhood, giving of himself on those MD telethons. The guy was a whirlwind in his youth. RIP Jerry, the last King Of Comedy.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
They say a comic says funny things and that a comedian says things funny. Comedians also do things funny. Jerry was a comedian whose innovations in the movie industry were as important as his ranking in the pantheon of comedians. Jerry always admitted that he was only funny because the man standing next to him made him so. Nevertheless, before him comedians pretty much either said or did things funny. Usually not both. Today in a world rife with a never ending slew of comics and comedy clubs, to me he still stands out. For 40 years (!) he was a staple on TV, my entire childhood, giving of himself on those MD telethons. The guy was a whirlwind in his youth. RIP Jerry, the last King Of Comedy.

You are correct Jerry created many innovations --One was his persona next to Dean Martin
I enjoy the YOUNG jerry lewis--as a team they have no peers. I sat in a theater in Manila in 1954 surrounded by Filipino's and was shocked when they laughed harder at Jerry than I did.
As he aged, his comedy lost it's edge--some routines only work for young people. After the split with Dean he lost me completely as a fan not because of his comedy but his attitude and less than nice being. He was difficult and surly and in his later presentations that came across.
I don't know if he was a KING of Comedy--the pairing of Martin and Lewis was Jerry's doing and for a few years none could touch them--Dean was the epitome of a Straight Man for Jerry--none others fit the bill.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
RIP Jerry. You did a lot of good in this world.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
You are correct Jerry created many innovations --One was his persona next to Dean Martin
I enjoy the YOUNG jerry lewis--as a team they have no peers. I sat in a theater in Manila in 1954 surrounded by Filipino's and was shocked when they laughed harder at Jerry than I did.
As he aged, his comedy lost it's edge--some routines only work for young people. After the split with Dean he lost me completely as a fan not because of his comedy but his attitude and less than nice being. He was difficult and surly and in his later presentations that came across.
I don't know if he was a KING of Comedy--the pairing of Martin and Lewis was Jerry's doing and for a few years none could touch them--Dean was the epitome of a Straight Man for Jerry--none others fit the bill.
Yes. One of his innovations in film was what they call the video assist. That is the ability for film makers to record video simultaneously through the same lens you're filming through to review takes aiding directors and actors alike. Which virtually invented the term "dailies" for film makers.

Reaction Score
To many stars philanthropy is photo opportunity. To Jerry it was a lifetime commitment.

Jerry had a less than nice, nasty, comment when one of those used in the Telethon reported he was used and felt belittled--he didn't want people feeling sorry for him.
If I can find the Jerry response, not nice, that
put a whole different spin on it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom