OT: - Jerry Jeff | The Boneyard

OT: Jerry Jeff

Reaction Score
I saw Jerry Jeff play with David Bromberg in the lounge of a college dormitory in 1968. He wasn't a cowboy yet. He described himself as a Rounder and the music from his first album reflects that. The day I saw him with about fifty other students he and David got $300 to split. When they were done singing they walked six blocks to the bus station and rode back to NYC. They had come in the same way fours hours before and so had a pretty good payday given that it was hard to find day labor at that point that paid anymore than $2.50-$3.00 an hour.

I saw him many times later after he added steel guitars, fiddles and country western lyrics to his repertoire. The last time I saw him he stood alone in front of a mike in a small club and sang for an hour and a half and then walked outside, tipped his hat, said "You have a good night now." and got into a circa 1960 blue Cadillac and drove away.

That was about seven or eight years ago and all the time (45 years) between those two performances I bought his music, sometimes got to see him perform and sang along with him in the car on the way home from work when no one was looking. This has been a tough year. John Prine in March and now Jerry Jeff. All my heroes are dying.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom