Jerome Dyson Q&A | The Boneyard

Jerome Dyson Q&A

Reaction Score
Wonder which GM said they would have drafted Dyson while injured after his Junior year?

Reaction Score
I always thought that we were one of the best teams in 09' and had Dyson not gone down we would have been playing UNC for the championship and probably giving them a run for their money instead of Sparty. Uconn played some amazing basketball that season, especially against a deep louisville team who we shredded.

Reaction Score
Happy that Jerome is doing well in Israel. His game wasn't refined enough for him to stick in the NBA, but his athleticism allows him to be a star overseas. Thanks for posting the link.

C

Chief00

Jerome is the first Calhoun era player that said he had bad guidance about the draft. He also said he had no one to talk to for guidance during his D League days. He also never won an NCAA tournament game but some want to believe 2009 would be different if Jerome did not go down. Not once in the article did he take personal responsibility for anything that went wrong. It was the agents fault, the doctors fault, I guess his former coaches fault for not providing guidance that some team would draft him in the first round after knee surgery.

Reaction Score
Jerome is the first Calhoun era player that said he had bad guidance about the draft. He also said he had no one to talk to for guidance during his D League days. He also never won an NCAA tournament game but some want to believe 2009 would be different if Jerome did not go down. Not once in the article did he take personal responsibility for anything that went wrong. It was the agents fault, the doctors fault, I guess his former coaches fault for not providing guidance that some team would draft him in the first round after knee surgery.

Have you ever said a nice thing about Dyson? Better to be a casual fan than a bad fan.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Have you ever said a nice thing about Dyson? Better to be a casual fan than a bad fan.
Captain Ahab is to Moby Dick as Chief is a Dickens to Jerome Dyson.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score

I forgot what a Dyson hater you were.

C

Chief00

I forgot what a Dyson hater you were.
Calhoun did more than you will ever know for Jerome. It’s very disappointing today that he fails to recognize that. When I talked to him a few years ago, I had truly thought Jerome had turned the page and taken responsibility. In this interview, there was none of that. He seems bitter the NBA did not work out for him. In the draft, even before his injury, there were so many red flags and holes in his game - he was not going to be anything other than a bottom second round pick at best.

C

Chief00

I don’ t think it’s fair to your teammates when you stay out to 4am before a noon game. If that makes me a bad fan in your book so be it.

C

Chief00

Wonder which GM said they would have drafted Dyson while injured after his Junior year?
If every guy that some scout or GM said would be drafted actually got drafted - there would be 200 players drafted each year rather than 60.

Reaction Score

Come on, you dont think the 09' team was better without Dyson? To say he never won a tournament game isnt fair. 2006-2007 he was the offense. 07-08 we lost in OT to san diego in first round which is a point in ur favor. The 08-09 team was very tough and Dyson gave them another option especially with a freshman kemba who was good but no where near his Junior year level.

That 2009-10 team his Senior year was a joke and we misfired on several recruits we brought in that couldnt play at D1 level.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I don’ t think it’s fair to your teammates when you stay out to 4am before a noon game. If that makes me a bad fan in your book so be it.
Namath stayed up all night and then beat the raiders in AFC title game

Reaction Score
Completely unrelated but this interview reminded me of the fact that there is a kid from Westport who went to Staples and played D3 hoops who won MVP of the league Jerome is playing in and is currently on Maccabi Tel Aviv. Somehow I never even heard of him until a few weeks ago even though I grew up a town over and am a HS hoops junkie. Anyone ever hear of this kid John Dibartolomeo? Great story.

C

Chief00

Namath stayed up all night and then beat the raiders in AFC title game
LOL - the game wasn’t at noon. But that’s besides the point, If you think you are as effective at noon coming in drunk at 4am as compared to getting 8 hours of sleep - let me suggest you are kidding yourself. I can also point to some 9 turnover type games to make my case. Calhoun, finally did say while he did not criticize Jerome’s game toughness he felt criticism of his game preparation was fair. I could go into detail but it would give the wrong impression - I just don’t like seeing Jerome throwing overboard people who really did try to help him.

C

Chief00

Come on, you dont think the 09' team was better without Dyson? To say he never won a tournament game isnt fair. 2006-2007 he was the offense. 07-08 we lost in OT to san diego in first round which is a point in ur favor. The 08-09 team was very tough and Dyson gave them another option especially with a freshman kemba who was good but no where near his Junior year level.

That 2009-10 team his Senior year was a joke and we misfired on several recruits we brought in that couldnt play at D1 level.
Respectfully, you have quite a few excuses for Jerome. My own opinion is Stanley had a great tournament in 2009 and no way that happens with Jerome playing. Stanley was a sweet kid, probably Mrs. Calhoun’s favorite. For whatever reason, Jerome did not play nice with Stanley.

Reaction Score
Respectfully, you have quite a few excuses for Jerome. My own opinion is Stanley had a great tournament in 2009 and no way that happens with Jerome playing. Stanley was a sweet kid, probably Mrs. Calhoun’s favorite. For whatever reason, Jerome did not play nice with Stanley.

You seem to have more behind the scenes knowledge than I do (which is close to 0), so i cant speak of what was going on behind the scenes. Stanley was one of my favorite players but he was also extremely frustrating.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Pat adores Sticks, yes, and always loved his extended visits to Madison. But Sticks didn't always play nice with others either
I have spoken to JC about many topics and Jerome and the '09 team was one. He felt strongly that a healthy JD would have enabled them to beat Pitt in the season final, beat Cuse in the marathon BE tourney game but never said would have propelled them to the NC
I am not going to criticize JD on his night moves - he was a college kid from not the best environments but he had spunk and even though he had some WTF moments on the court - he did some great things also
I also know Andre L fairly well and according to him, JD and JC were closer than most think but noted that JD's "lifestyle" didn't make JC happy. But then again, JC's son wasn't the angel either
I think you have always had a grudge against JD - he's gone forget it - makes you look petty
He isn't the first UConn athlete or coach to blame others first
BTW - I never had any extended conversations with Jerome

Reaction Score
I'd have paid to see JD in a cage match with Chief and bet all of Whaler's and Jerry's money that Chief would have cried like a baby when JD picked up his tooth off the floor and spit it back in Chief's face. :D

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Why are people listening to Chief on any Dyson-related topic? Educate yourselves, casual fans.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Completely unrelated but this interview reminded me of the fact that there is a kid from Westport who went to Staples and played D3 hoops who won MVP of the league Jerome is playing in and is currently on Maccabi Tel Aviv. Somehow I never even heard of him until a few weeks ago even though I grew up a town over and am a HS hoops junkie. Anyone ever hear of this kid John Dibartolomeo? Great story.
First became aware of him through my alumni magazine, and later retrieved a basketball that rolled away from him down the long rear hallway at the downtown Westport Y. His Rochester sweat pants gave him away, and I struck up a conversation. He was surprised that he had a media presence, spoke of exploring Europe, modest & unassuming. I knew he'd shifted to Israel, but not that he was doing this well.

@Chief00 - In the context of the Sports Rabbi interview's placement & presumed audience (as well as perhaps, English as second language), your comments come off as informed but petty. I liked Jerome's game before his injury, acknowledge that team chemistry absorbed his loss, and think that the team had enough to beat Sparty in Detroit and give UNC its best challenge if all had come together including him.

Even with my own frustrations the following season, I don't see the need to read this particular article through the lens you're offered. For me, 'it is what it is' fits better.

Reaction Score
I can confirm most of what chief is saying is true with respect to Dyson.

Up or on the rocks was a favorite of JDs.

He also wouldn't run sets and would break off of them to do his own thing. He thought he was bigger than the team and "hollywood"

With that said if he doesn't get injured in 09 that's probably another banner

Reaction Score
Dyson was as tough as nails. Loved his attitude on the court. But he definitely was a me-first player. He could have been so much more if he just did a little little less.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom