Jerime Anderson | The Boneyard

Jerime Anderson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Will miss one season for stealing laptops at UCLA.

Oh, wait, what's that? He'll miss one game?

Remind me again why UConn was made to look so terrible in laptop-gate??

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Will miss one season for stealing laptops at UCLA.

Oh, wait, what's that? He'll miss one game?

Remind me again why UConn was made to look so terrible in laptop-gate??
The penalty for AJ and MW was exactly the punishment any UConn student received for similar student behavior. There were members of the local press and certain posters who felt the student athlete should be held to a different standard particularly high profile students. The argument was that embarrassment to the University necessitated increased punishment. Other people took the position that young kids might look at players as heroes and therefore these players should be held to a higher standard. And both of these viewpoints are viable. But when the time for punishment occurred, the school took the position that justice is meted out based on the crime and not who is committing the crime. That keeps things objective and is the better part of our judicial system.

The problem for UConn was that the AD did nothing to address this smearing campaign by the local press. There are questions, at least in my mind that Hathaway fostered the negativity. Certainly questions would have been asked, and should have been asked. But the absence of the AD over this matter did not help things and probably made them worse.

Reaction Score
The penalty for AJ and MW was exactly the punishment any UConn student received for similar student behavior. There were members of the local press and certain posters who felt the student athlete should be held to a different standard particularly high profile students. The argument was that embarrassment to the University necessitated increased punishment. Other people took the position that young kids might look at players as heroes and therefore these players should be held to a higher standard. And both of these viewpoints are viable. But when the time for punishment occurred, the school took the position that justice is meted out based on the crime and not who is committing the crime. That keeps things objective and is the better part of our judicial system.

The problem for UConn was that the AD did nothing to address this smearing campaign by the local press. There are questions, at least in my mind that Hathaway fostered the negativity. Certainly questions would have been asked, and should have been asked. But the absence of the AD over this matter did not help things and probably made them worse.
"
laptop-gate??The penalty for AJ and MW was exactly the punishment any UConn student received for similar student behavior"
And that is the way penalties for athletes should be; not more severe a or lighter. On the other hand, we deserved bad press we received. Stealing or being involved in stealing or selling a fellow student's property is pretty low.

Reaction Score
None of this addresses my question, remotely. UConn was pilloried because a kid missed a year and another one missed a semester. This kid is going to miss a single game in November. One would expect that the outrage will be exponentially greater since this seems like a farcical penalty compared to the one handed out by UConn, but I suspect no one will really give a .

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
UConn has pretty high standards.... Cody Endres would still be on the football team at many other schools jumps into my mind immediately. (Florida.. *cough*) I'm sure there are a few other examples I can't think of.

I think the over reaction of local press also tends to trend onto the national media... what would be "No Big Deal" anywhere else.. or swept under the rug literally gets transformed into a national incident by the inferiority complexes of Jeff Jacobs and Co. The proximity to NYC, Boston, and Bristol also plays into it. And of course Calhoun is prickly... and a couple of national writers at Yahoo and CBS have agendas... because Calhoun treats them the way the deserve to be treated.

UConn runs a pretty clean program, but you'd think we were worse Miami, USC, Ohio State, UNC, Florida, and Memphis rolled into one based on the negative press.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
None of this addresses my question, remotely. UConn was pilloried because a kid missed a year and another one missed a semester. This kid is going to miss a single game in November. One would expect that the outrage will be exponentially greater since this seems like a farcical penalty compared to the one handed out by UConn, but I suspect no one will really give a darn.
I agree with Danzz, bad behavior deserves bad press. But the AD of all schools have to deal with these type of issues. Sadly, very few schools are immune to this type of behavior. So you bring up a good point. UCLA has a comparable recognizable program. And the press is less. There are several explanations. This is the off season. Events with conference realignment will put this news on the back burner. And the point I made in the above post, Hathaway did nothing to intercede on the men's programs behalf. I'm not saying he should have covered things up, but he should have insisted on addressing any accusations that the process was not handled fairly. And I don't believe he did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom