Jeremy Lamb is in line for a big contract | The Boneyard

Jeremy Lamb is in line for a big contract

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Lamb has definitely improved this year. I still think he needs to be more consistent overall before he get's a big contract. I dont think he's a particularly great defender.

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
Lamb has been the number one or two score r it seems over the last several games for the Hornets. Pretty impressive. A lot of the games aren't available where I live but I check the box scores and watch the occasional game.

Reaction Score
Insane money projected for him and Kemba. Hard to imagine there's enough revenue to cover all those salaries.

Next question is when will any of these guys make a sizeable donation to UConn? If I recall correctly, Donyell, Emeka and Kevin Ollie are the only ones to have made donations of any note. Maybe a quarter million or thereabouts. Although large in absolute terms, their donations were insignificant percentages of their earnings compared to the many others who have supported various programs and capital drives in the past several decades.

Is it they didn't value what Calhoun and UConn did to develop them and their games so they could perform at a level that would earn them these salaries? Or, is it the culture of professional athletes today? Either all the players were well educated by their parents in the way of the world, or UConn and Calhoun did a good job of preparing them for what lay ahead with crooked agents and financial deals like those that bankrupted Abdul Jabbar and Antoine Walker.

When Calhoun was retained, one of his stated duties was to reach out to former players and try to secure their financial support for the Werth Center. They could put their names on various facilities within the building or on the building for a major donation but that went to the Werth family. I think it was Donyell and Kevin who donated at that time and Emeka may have as well, but I thought his donation was directed at another program.

It really surprised me that someone like Ray Allen didn't get a group together and put forth a large donation that would have named the building after someone, maybe Calhoun who they all praised for what he did to make them the players and men they are today, or for a number of the facilities in the building. Like the Andre Drummond weight room, etc.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Nobody is paying lamb “insane” money. We heard the same stuff about Shabazz. He’s had a solid season, but nba teams know what he is at this point.

Reaction Score
Nobody is paying lamb “insane” money. We heard the same stuff about Shabazz. He’s had a solid season, but nba teams know what he is at this point.
Different situations. This off-season was a light free agency in terms of teams with cap room, plus decent to good backup PGs are a dime a dozen. Much more money out there for free agents for a significantly better player at a more in-demand position. Lamb will get at least MLE-type money

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Really like Borrego the new Hornets coach. He is going out of his way to make our two guys on their roster the clear focal point of the offense. To be fair it’s also because they are their best two scorers but still, both guys have stepped up big in his short stint.

C

Chief00

Insane money projected for him and Kemba. Hard to imagine there's enough revenue to cover all those salaries.

Next question is when will any of these guys make a sizeable donation to UConn? If I recall correctly, Donyell, Emeka and Kevin Ollie are the only ones to have made donations of any note. Maybe a quarter million or thereabouts. Although large in absolute terms, their donations were insignificant percentages of their earnings compared to the many others who have supported various programs and capital drives in the past several decades.

Is it they didn't value what Calhoun and UConn did to develop them and their games so they could perform at a level that would earn them these salaries? Or, is it the culture of professional athletes today? Either all the players were well educated by their parents in the way of the world, or UConn and Calhoun did a good job of preparing them for what lay ahead with crooked agents and financial deals like those that bankrupted Abdul Jabbar and Antoine Walker.

When Calhoun was retained, one of his stated duties was to reach out to former players and try to secure their financial support for the Werth Center. They could put their names on various facilities within the building or on the building for a major donation but that went to the Werth family. I think it was Donyell and Kevin who donated at that time and Emeka may have as well, but I thought his donation was directed at another program.

It really surprised me that someone like Ray Allen didn't get a group together and put forth a large donation that would have named the building after someone, maybe Calhoun who they all praised for what he did to make them the players and men they are today, or for a number of the facilities in the building. Like the Andre Drummond weight room, etc.

Let’s leave our ex players alone on donations - it’s their own private decision, great if someone makes a generous donation but no one should be harassed to do so.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score

Not remotely comparable situations. From the Charlotte Observer article:

I asked a player-personnel executive from another NBA team to estimate Lamb’s market value next summer. Off the top of his head, that front-office executive said he could easily see some team paying Lamb an average of $14 million a season.

Reaction Score
Want to see him land something big for many reasons, not the least of which is what Jalen Carey had to say about Lamb after he picked Syracuse. Wouldn’t be surprised if Lamb is about to get an NBA money that Carey will never touch.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Let’s leave our ex players alone on donations - it’s there own private decision, great if someone makes a generous donation but no one should be harassed to do so.
The only thing I agree with you on this is harassment.
If the athletic department isn't asking ALL former players in every sport they are lacking due diligence
There are certain former players whose incomes are insane, in sports and outside, who could throw some UConn's way
I don't understand your stance on this at all

Reaction Score
When Calhoun was retained, one of his stated duties was to reach out to former players and try to secure their financial support for the Werth Center. [/QUOTE]

any proof that this ever happened???

Reaction Score
Let’s leave our ex players alone on donations - it’s there own private decision, great if someone makes a generous donation but no one should be harassed to do so.
They should be approached just as any other successful alumni who are appreciative of the contribution the university had in their success and wants to support students or the university's programs - athletic and/or academics

C

Chief00

They should be approached just as any other successful alumni who are appreciative of the contribution the university had in their success and wants to support students or the university's programs - athletic and/or academics

I am all for respectfully reaching out to see if a former player wants to donate, and some have. However, as I said, it should not be harassment or a shame type approach.
I would hope they would want to donate, but I respect their right not to. I appreciate the ones who do, but it’s a private decision and none are obligated to donate and I won’t pass judgement on them if they don’t.

Reaction Score
If I recall correctly Calhoun said the ex players don't owe the university and shouldn't be expected to donate.

Anyone who donates (athletes, alumni, etc) kudos to them but if they choose not to they shouldn't be chastised

Reaction Score

Calhoun said he didn't expect any contributions from his players because they had already contibuted enough (Just playing).

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I think he is more of a MLE and make around $8-9 million a year. That is pretty good money no matter how you look at it.

Reaction Score
I am all for respectfully reaching out to see if a former player wants to donate, and some have. However, as I said, it should not be harassment or a shame type approach.
I would hope they would want to donate, but I respect their right not to. I appreciate the ones who do, but it’s a private decision and none are obligated to donate and I won’t pass judgement on them if they don’t.

My point was related to pride in the school as well as recognition for the value you received from UConn as a student. It meant a lot to me and I guess I figured most people share that pride and gratitude and, when they're able, they take steps to show that appreciation.

C

Chief00

My point was related to pride in the school as well as recognition for the value you received from UConn as a student. It meant a lot to me and I guess I figured most people share that pride and gratitude and, when they're able, they take steps to show that appreciation.
I understand and my personal perspective on donating is similar to yours. I just didn’t want this to go down the path of shaming players, who chose not to make big donations. It’s a personal decision. Again, extra kudos to those who do.

C

Chief00

Calhoun said he didn't expect any contributions from his players because they had already contibuted enough (Just playing).
I agree, after all they had to play for that guy - that’s contributing enough.
Just kidding.

Reaction Score
Don’t worry your little heads about funding ... I got it covered

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members