Jere Longman stumbles ... | The Boneyard

Jere Longman stumbles ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Maybe he was cranky the Times won't let him cover the USwbb team...

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
"Jones has received far greater publicity than any other American track and field athlete competing in the London Games," Longman writes.

Yes, that Bolt fellow gets no attention whatsoever.

Reaction Score
"Jones has received far greater publicity than any other American track and field athlete competing in the London Games," Longman writes.

Yes, that Bolt fellow gets no attention whatsoever.

Bolt is Jamaican.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Bolt is Jamaican.
First cup of coffee. :)

I still don't agree with Longman that Jones is getting more pub than other T&F athletes. I have seen Lolo in some magazines recently but she was part of articles that included other Olympians like Allyson Felix and Carmelita Jeter.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Most of the US men's track team is working in anonymity.

How many people even know who Ashton Eaton is or his event?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Most of the US men's track team is working in anonymity.

How many people even know who Ashton Eaton is or his event?
But I've heard a lot about Justin Gatlin and Tyson Gay in the "glamour" race.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Not me, only when the race itself was on.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I just watched Lolo win her heat. She looked good on the blocks and leaping hurdles.

And she has a cute "outie.":rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Longman makes a living doing what he accuses Lolo of...peddling whatever will catch the reader's eye. The only difference being that in his case, using a photo of himself is counterproductive.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Leaves me out...I had no idea Jones' publicity was supposed to reach me.
Now Anna Kournikova, that's different. I wish people would stop picking on her (Mary Carillo: "She never won a tournament."
"So what", says McEnroe, "Lots of girls have never won a tournament.") In fairness, Anna has been to several finals and semis in singles; she also has several tournament wins in doubles. Many on the women's tour would envy her career. Geez, let me gaze upon her in peace.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
There is a clip that I can't access at work from her teammates basically saying they are sick of the attention she gets, because she didn't even win a medal.

Girl on girl crime, here! I understand it must be frustrating on a personal level, but some athletes for whatever reason (looks, mainly) are more marketable. Thems the breaks. And in the very limited market that is women's sports endorsements ( especially an Olympic sport like track and field) you kind of need to use every advantage you can. The media has picked up on Jones and though she may have contributed to it, she can't help that they focus on her.

Reaction Score
Leaves me out...I had no idea Jones' publicity was supposed to reach me.
Now Anna Kournikova, that's different...Anna has been to several finals and semis in singles ... Geez, let me gaze upon her in peace.

Yes, Monsignor. Or is it Bishop?

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Longman makes a living doing what he accuses Lolo of...peddling whatever will catch the reader's eye. The only difference being that in his case, using a photo of himself is counterproductive.

Really? Interesting comment to make about the writer who has gone out of his way to support women's basketball -- and was one of the first to draw attention to Rene Portland's horrors. Really "eye catching" stuff.

As for Jones-mania -- as someone who didn't follow Beijing track, and doesn't follow track in general, I saw/heard/read the name Lolo Jones in a ton of advertising -- before I knew who the heck she was. The only other name I recognized was Felix, and that was because she was in that "chicken leg" advert for... addidas?

It's quite likely Jere' is off -- but I'm sure his detractors can point to several male athletes just like Lolo...

Reaction Score
Really? Interesting comment to make about the writer who has gone out of his way to support women's basketball -- and was one of the first to draw attention to Rene Portland's horrors. Really "eye catching" stuff.

As for Jones-mania -- as someone who didn't follow Beijing track, and doesn't follow track in general, I saw/heard/read the name Lolo Jones in a ton of advertising -- before I knew who the heck she was. The only other name I recognized was Felix, and that was because she was in that "chicken leg" advert for... addidas?

It's quite likely Jere' is off -- but I'm sure his detractors can point to several male athletes just like Lolo...

I apologize if I offended you ThisJustin...certainly not my intention. I don't know enough about Longman's history to be making an overall character assessment, but I don't think attacking Lolo Jones does him any credit. And I don't think a good case can be made that he was indulging in serious journalism with this piece any more than the reporters plaguing Gabby Douglas with questions about her mother's bankruptcy...while she was still competing at the Olympics...were. They are pandering to the prurient interests of the mob. We've all become inured to this lack of civility, and I'm no saint, but I find it particularly irritating when someone of good reputation working for the paper of record decides to bully someone in this manner. Whatever else Mr. Longman is, he's no gentleman.

As for Lolo Jones' athletic credentials, I personally think they are excellent. I admit to being a track buff, but which among us wouldn't be thrilled to have her career. And she wasn't just a pretty face...she narrowly missed the podium on the world's greatest stage after a number of injuries. Do I think a 4th place finish makes her unworthy of a fast food commercial...most assuredly not! If Mr. Longman needs to use his bully pulpit to shame her, then I need to express my distaste for his actions. I don't think he was being a friend to women's athletics in this instance...and I do hope he returns to form soon.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
'Lolo Jones Outclasses Her Critics':

American hurdler Lolo Jones occupies that usually enviable spot where marketing appeal and athletic achievement intersect. Unfortunately for Jones, when the former outstrips the latter, the backlash from media backbiters indulging their petty cynicism can be ruthless.

Jones’s hardscrabble upbringing and her tragic failure four years ago in Beijing, where she tripped over the penultimate hurdle while in position to win gold in the 100m hurdles, had made her a figure of sympathy and rooting interest for the American public heading into these games. Her Christianity, her high-profile self-identification as a virgin, and her striking good looks made Tim Tebow comparisons inevitable, and just as inevitably, there was a media counterattack.

Prior to Jones’s fourth-place finish in the 100m hurdles in London, the New York Times unleashed a scathing piece that derided her as a marketing creation who was exploiting her looks and her backstory of poverty in a “sad and cynical” campaign of self-promotion. “Essentially, Jones has decided she will be whatever anyone wants her to be — vixen, virgin, victim — to draw attention to herself and the many products she endorses,” snarked the piece’s author, Jere Longman, who went on to compare Jones to tennis player Anna Kournikova, the media’s whipping girl in the category of style over substance.

No, like Kournikova, Jones is merely a world-class athlete who has failed to check the right boxes to satisfy the Times’s sensibilities.

As this episode has made clear: They might not be champions, but both Jones and Kournikova are far better at their craft than Longman is at his.

http://www.nationalreview.com/right-field/313403/lolo-jones-outclasses-her-critics-rob-doster

Reaction Score
I heard Ann Killion (writer for San Mercury News) on our local sports radio station this afternoon giving a report from London. They talked about Jones, Ann said she knows and likes Jere, but thought his column was a hit piece and it may have affected her (taken her off her game) two days before her race.

Reaction Score
I heard Ann Killion (writer for San Mercury News) on our local sports radio station this afternoon giving a report from London. They talked about Jones, Ann said she knows and likes Jere, but thought his column was a hit piece and it may have effected her (taken her off her game) two days before her race.

Nice....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc