OT: - Jeopardy | The Boneyard

OT: Jeopardy

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I know there are quite a few Jeopardy fans on the board, and this is the week for all of us.

James Holzhauer, Ken Jennings, and Brad Rutter are playing in a tournament in a format that we haven't seen. As far as I can tell, they'll be playing two games a night, and scored based on that total each night. First to win three nights is the winner of the tournament.

If I weren't so late posting this, I'd include a poll. The tourney is at 8 PM on ABC.

I believe each of these players has won $2 million. Ken did it during his run. James came close, and went over 2 by winning the tournament of champions. Brad, IIRC, won during the 5 games limit era, and won the ToC his year, plus TWO million-dollar tournaments. I really don't remember him being that strong a player during his run on the regular game, but he defeated Chuck Forrest and Frank Spangenburg in the first million-dollar tournament, and I think Ken in a subsequent tourney.

It may be recent bias, but I'm thinking James will win. OTOH, the last two times I didn't think Brad had a shot, so I'm a better Jeopardy player than I am a picker.

Reaction Score
This is like arguing who's better, Magic, Jordan, Bird, LeBron, ect. I think that what determines the winner will be the categories. Whichever player is most familiar with these will ultimately be the winner.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
I watched it, and found it somewhat boring. I would rather see the basic daily shows.

Reaction Score
I know there are quite a few Jeopardy fans on the board, and this is the week for all of us.

James Holzhauer, Ken Jennings, and Brad Rutter are playing in a tournament in a format that we haven't seen. As far as I can tell, they'll be playing two games a night, and scored based on that total each night. First to win three nights is the winner of the tournament.

If I weren't so late posting this, I'd include a poll. The tourney is at 8 PM on ABC.

I believe each of these players has won $2 million. Ken did it during his run. James came close, and went over 2 by winning the tournament of champions. Brad, IIRC, won during the 5 games limit era, and won the ToC his year, plus TWO million-dollar tournaments. I really don't remember him being that strong a player during his run on the regular game, but he defeated Chuck Forrest and Frank Spangenburg in the first million-dollar tournament, and I think Ken in a subsequent tourney.

It may be recent bias, but I'm thinking James will win. OTOH, the last two times I didn't think Brad had a shot, so I'm a better Jeopardy player than I am a picker.

You heard Ken say tonight it was sick and tried of losing to Brad, right?

Brad has beaten Ken two times head-to-head and his team won the all-star game. When he and Ken went head-to-head two times during the all-star tourney I think Brad overall outscored Ken as well.

Ken did beat him by coming in 2nd vs the IBM computer.

All 3 are a force.

Reaction Score
I watched it, and found it somewhat boring. I would rather see the basic daily shows.

I thought it was awesome. I thought for a stretch that James was going to catch Ken. I prefer this.

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score

I agree. I think Jeopardy works well for half an hour but becomes a bit tedious when stretched out to a full hour. Also, the questions were tougher and I could answer fewer of them than normal. Part of the joy of watching Jeopardy -- for me, at least -- is to be able to answer many of the questions and be able to think to myself, I'm just as smart (or nearly as smart) as these guys. Watching last night, it became obvious that my addled brain is no match for the brains of Jennings, Rutter and Jeopardy James. Alas, I'm an ordinary dolt compared to these three trivia geniuses. Shoemaker on the moon? Who could possibly know that obscure bit of information? Not me.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The thing I noticed was that none of them crashed the boards. They all seemed to just want to play one on one. Structured offense, setting picks and screens not one of did. Plus, when they got a rebound, they all brought it down where it could be swatted. They better step up their game!!

Plus, are any of them bigs? I heard UCONN needs bigs.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I agree. I think Jeopardy works well for half an hour but becomes a bit tedious when stretched out to a full hour. Also, the questions were tougher and I could answer fewer of them than normal. Part of the joy of watching Jeopardy -- for me, at least -- is to be able to answer many of the questions and be able to think to myself, I'm just as smart (or nearly as smart) as these guys. Watching last night, it became obvious that my brain is no match for the brains of Jennings, Rutter and Jeopardy James. Alas, I'm an ordinary dolt compared to these three trivia geniuses. Shoemaker on the moon? Who could possibly know that obscure bit of information? Not me.
That's why I like the Teacher, College and Teen weeks, makes me feel really smart (and kind and important). :cool:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I have tried to watch Jeopardy from time to time but every show, one of the players has trouble with the buzzer and it is so painful to watch, I turn it off.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I REALLY enjoyed that game. I for one enjoy the harder questions -- I want to learn something every time I watch, and the more clues there are that I don't know, the better. I was expecting to be amazed by these guys, but it's beyond that.

Reaction Score
The daily double is an "on purpose" to make sure there is a winner knowing all that participate, on a given day, can and most likely will answer all questions they are asked. Only a means of getting a winner --chance.

I enjoy the game and on some days can't answer the questions and some I can (if they dumb them down far enough)

Reaction Score
I REALLY enjoyed that game. I for one enjoy the harder questions -- I want to learn something every time I watch, and the more clues there are that I don't know, the better. I was expecting to be amazed by these guys, but it's beyond that.
@Bigboote : An avid fan is one with many interests and a person that digs for answers because the questions are at times far afield. I like it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom