Jeopardy | The Boneyard

Jeopardy

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
On Jeopardy tonight (18 April), there was a clue in the category "grave matters" that went something like: In 2016 this legendary coach of the Tennesse Lady Vols basketball team was interred in (name of cemetary)."

None of the three contestants got it. I was bummed.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
On Jeopardy tonight (18 April), there was a clue in the category "grave matters" that went something like: In 2016 this legendary coach of the Tennesse Lady Vols basketball team was interred in (name of cemetary)."

None of the three contestants got it. I was bummed.
I saw that. I too was disappointed. They also didn't know Pere Lachaise Cemetery.

Reaction Score
My personal favorite:

IMG_1377.JPG

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I wonder if they knew who's buried in Grant's tomb.

Funny, more than half the people I have asked this know, at best, only part of the correct answer. I used this to point out to my students that amidst the "obvious" is often something more.

By the way, the correct answer is U.S. Grant and Julia Dent Grant.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I saw that. I too was disappointed. They also didn't know Pere Lachaise Cemetery.

I've been there and had forgotten the name of it myself! Lol !

I recall being pretty disgusted that so many people felt compelled to put up graffiti in the general vicinity of J Morrison's grave. Such as, "...Jim's this way ---->" etc. Just tons of it. I could understand it being on some of the stones right around his grave but there is a lot of it that is quite far away, pointing the way.

Cool place, though! And a long Metro ride from the center of the city out to the east end, IIRC.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
So they wouldn't have known where Chopin and Jim Morrison are buried. 3 Strikes - contestants that don't travel OR follow WBB??$#%???? Sigh...
A partial list at Pere Lachaise includes Chopin and Jim Morrison, plus these other luminaries:

Balzac
Bizet
Callas
Delacroix
Duncan
Ernst
Ingres
Lalique
Marceau
Modigliani
Montand
Piaf
Pissarro
Proust
Rossini
Seurat
Stein
Wilde

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
A partial list at Pere Lachaise includes Chopin and Jim Morrison, plus these other luminaries:

Balzac
Bizet
Callas
Delacroix
Duncan
Ernst
Ingres
Lalique
Marceau
Modigliani
Montand
Piaf
Pissarro
Proust
Rossini
Seurat
Stein
Wilde

I was thinking Victor Hugo was buried there, too, but I was wrong. See how the memory plays tricks? (He's buried at the Pantheon.)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I was thinking Victor Hugo was buried there, too, but I was wrong. See how the memory plays tricks? (He's buried at the Pantheon.)
I don't know how Pere Lachaise missed him. ;)

Reaction Score

True story - Years ago, my godmother, a schoolteacher in New York was complaining about little her students knew about landmarks figuratively in their own backyard; "Not a single one of those kids could tell me where Grant's Tomb was." Fortunately, she did not ask me because, at the time, I only knew that it was somewhere in New York. Of course, some research was done and when I had kids of my own, a point was made to point out Grant's Tomb every time we rode into the city via the West Side Highway.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Grant's Tomb
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

General Grant National Memorial
U.S. National Register of Historic Places
U.S. National Memorial
New York City Landmark

Grant's Tomb at dusk

Grant's Tomb, now formally known as General Grant National Memorial, is the final resting place of Ulysses S. Grant (1822–1885), the 18th President of the United States, and his wife, Julia Dent Grant (1826–1902). Completed in 1897, the tomb is located in Riverside Park in the Morningside Heights neighborhood of Upper Manhattan in New York City, across Riverside Drive from the monumental Riverside Church. It was placed under the management of the National Park Service in 1958.

Conception - Creation of the Grant Monument Association
On July 23, 1885, Ulysses S. Grant died of throat cancer at age 63 in Wilton, New York.Within hours of Grant's death, William Grace sends a telegram to Julia offering New York City to be the burial ground for both Grant and Julia. That was Grant's only real wish when he died; He wanted to be next to his wife when he was buried.[3] Grant's family agreed to have his remains interred in New York City.[4] William Russell Grace, the Mayor of New York City, wrote a letter to prominent New Yorkers the following day, to gather support for a national monument in Grant's honor.

Reaction Score

I thought the answer to that question was nobody. Doesn't buried connote "in the ground." While entombed is when the body is placed in a tomb.
Ipso facto, it's not possible to be buried in a tomb.
Where's Kibitzer ?

Reaction Score

Balzac
Bizet
Callas
. . .

Don't forget Abelard and Heloise.

(Although I'm always a little suspicious of the accurate identification of 12th century cadavers -
is that really them?)

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I thought the answer to that question was nobody. Doesn't buried connote "in the ground." While entombed is when the body is placed in a tomb.
Ipso facto, it's not possible to be buried in a tomb.
Where's Kibitzer ?

Lincoln's tomb is a structure above ground, but the casket is encased (if I recall correctly) in concrete some ten+ feet below ground. He is buried. It is a tomb. I think.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Man I am bummed, when I saw the title I was excited to see a weird Al Yankowicz parody link for the Huskies...:rolleyes:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom