Jen Signs Extension to 2018 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Jen Signs Extension to 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Well, nobody gives a damn whether I'm happy, apparently. C'est la vie, I s'pose.
I suspect there is a wonderful young woman, oh maybe 50 miles as the crow flies, who really cares.

As for me, "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn." :)

Reaction Score
Cam, I am someone who does not necessarily think that will be the case or that it would be good. I hope we look for whoever is the best candidate. If it turns out to be an alum fine but I do not like presumptions that it "should" or "must" be.

I'm with you on that one. I want to see whoever is the best individual for the position get the job. If they are a UConn alum, wonderful, but it's not something that I feel should be a prerequisite or requirement when it comes to evaluating who should replace Geno when he retires.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I'm with you on that one. I want to see whoever is the best individual for the position get the job. If they are a UConn alum, wonderful, but it's not something that I feel should be a prerequisite or requirement when it comes to evaluating who should replace Geno when he retires.
I think their is only one person that would be guaranteed the job if she applies and that is CD. She is 'associate' not assistant coach, she would have devoted 30+ years to the program and been there every step of this wild ride. I think it would be a a no brainer if she wanted the job. I suspect she wouldn't.
Otherwise I do not think it is guaranteed to be a Geno 'tree' hire. I do think Geno will be instrumental in selecting the replacement, and health permitting it will be a planned transition that probably includes a year of apprenticeship prior to retirement.
I actually think it would be easier for the coach if they are seen as Uconn family in terms of fan support - but that will only matter for the period leading up to the first tip-off of the new season.

Reaction Score
I bet she has a release clause should the UCONN job ever opens up.

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
Serious question for the Yard. Is everyone convinced that the coach after Geno will come from the UConn family tree? Hypothetically, say Geno retires in 2019...?

Hi Cam,

-My guess is that a UConn background may be and certainly should be a big a plus, But a lock???? No. I guess one could bet on it, but man, don’t bet the farm.

- UConn’s winning NC’s at such a rate, Nike can’t even keep up adding enough stars to the Husky jerseys.

- New National Champions, new All Americans, new superb recruits, new dynamic practice facility, and another brand new contract with Woman’s Basketball’s top coach…

-Heck, at this rate, we don’t even know in which decade Geno may eventually get bored and decide to turn it all over. All we really know is, this guy’s clearly fully engaged, continually improving UConn’s WCBB position to remain strong for a long, long time.

-What if it happened in 2019??? My guess is any lucky candidate, selected someday to build upon what he and his staff continue to advance today, will have faced quality competition from inside and outside UConn's circle. Having played or coached at UConn before should naturally be a huge plus - but its hard to imagine it also being an absolute requirement for the selection board of this high-profile, high-pay leadership position. Key UConn leaders like President Susan Herbst, AD Warde Manuel, Coach Auriemma are living proof, we know and they know, you certainly do not have to be from UConn to succeed there. We would not have Assistant Coach Marisa Moseley, or even SNY TV (selected over Connecticut Public TV), if Storrs' leadership was so myopic that it restricted competition to only a tight Connecticut circle, even in some defacto backroom manner.
Arty
(Wishing I was back at the Sneads Ferry Shrimp Festival , as I write)eads Ferry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member