Jeff Van Gundy to join broadcast team on Sunday | The Boneyard

Jeff Van Gundy to join broadcast team on Sunday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

Good! Jeff Van Gundy is a UConn wcbb admirer, if memory serves me right.

Reaction Score
There is a story in one of Coach Auriemma's books about how he allowed Jeff and his brother to stay in a hotel room with him back when funds were scarce and folks were trying to make their way in the basketball world. It might have been Doug Bruno with whom Coach Auriemma was attending a coaching clinic or something. It would not surprise me if Van Gundy mentions that experience on the air.

Reaction Score
JVG will add so much to the broadcast on Sunday. Jeff lives now in the Houston area and know him, he will be very well prepared from a coaches chat on Sunday........I hope they let him talk.........

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Jeff has some down time before the NBA season. He knows what a well coached team looks like. I'll be curious as to what he says about the talent.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
That's excellent. JVG is a top-notch analyst. This is a huge regular season game- glad ESPN is pulling out all the stops with the broadcast.

Reaction Score
There is a story in one of Coach Auriemma's books about how he allowed Jeff and his brother to stay in a hotel room with him back when funds were scarce and folks were trying to make their way in the basketball world. It might have been Doug Bruno with whom Coach Auriemma was attending a coaching clinic or something. It would not surprise me if Van Gundy mentions that experience on the air.

To follow up:
In the book, Geno - In Pursuit of Perfection, Coach Auriemma relates a story of how he flew up to Hartford on People Express to hear Bob Knight speak. He was sharing a room at a Holiday Inn with his friend, Tom Perrin, when Perrin asks if a couple of basketball junkies could crash with them for one night. The two basketball junkies turned out to be Jeff and Stan Van Gundy.

Reaction Score
Unless I'm misremembering this, a year or two ago ESPN ran a special night with announcers who usually did college games doing NBA games and the normal NBA guys doing (men's) NCAA basketball games.

Jeff Van Gundy was covering a Clemson men's game and he mentioned to his partner that he had taken in a UConn women's game the night before and he was astonished at how proficient the UConn players were. He gave the team high praise.

This was some time during the 90-game staight run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom