Jeff Jacobs | The Boneyard

Jeff Jacobs

Reaction Score
Did I miss something? Did Jeff Jacobs decide to stop writing about UConn basketball and focus on HS Sports?

Havent seen an article from him in a while

Reaction Score
I think he has said on record that he will no longer Tweet about UConn Athletics. IDK the reason, but It is a little strange.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Did I miss something? Did Jeff Jacobs decide to stop writing about UConn basketball and focus on HS Sports?

Havent seen an article from him in a while
I’m pretty sure he got fed up with Hurley feeding information to ESPN/Yahoo/FOX writers instead of him. And rightfully so, Jacobs is a clown. Must have taken the hint.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Donald Glover Reaction GIF

Reaction Score
He had a feud with Calhoun if you remember. From a sportswriter’s standpoint they like to have more than the standard pablum cliches that coaches like to dole out. The coach is protecting the players on their play and injuries info which is OK but it’s not great to write about. Maybe he criticized Hurley’s coaching somewhere or asked him a question he didn’t like. From their point the coaches make a ton of money and should be able to take a little heat now and then. I think Jacobs had a bunch of heart attacks so his health is not exactly optimal either.

Reaction Score
He had a feud with Calhoun if you remember. From a sportswriter’s standpoint they like to have more than the standard pablum cliches that coaches like to dole out. The coach is protecting the players on their play and injuries info which is OK but it’s not great to write about. Maybe he criticized Hurley’s coaching somewhere or asked him a question he didn’t like. From their point the coaches make a ton of money and should be able to take a little heat now and then. I think Jacobs had a bunch of heart attacks so his health is not exactly optimal either.
Coaches should be able to take a little heat. Trying to be 100% objective as a writer though doesn’t prob make you a lot of friends wanting to give you the inside scoop.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Jeff has a history of writing hit pieces. The two most famous ones that come to mind are Jazz Howard, about whom he wrote a hit piece suggesting Jazz was a jock looking for trouble, immediately after Howard’s death, and Stanley Robinson, whom he claimed wasn’t a legitimate student and would never graduate, or even take classes. The Jazz Howard story was taken down as more details came out, but he never retracted it, or gave Jazz’s family an apology. Same with the Stanley Robinson story. Those two things are pretty unforgivable.

Regarding the whole Calhoun feud, it was literally started because Jeff Calhoun pointed at him and laughed. Jacobs got all butt hurt over it and smeared Jim and UConn for like a decade.

His go to move in recent years was to write a random hit piece but then follow it up with a complementary fluff piece and suggest that since he wrote both he must be objective. Is it any wonder that coaches aren’t going to give him extra insight into the program?

I think Jeff was a decent writer, but far too often he wanted to be the main character rather than a passive narrator. That’s fine, but if the way you do that is to generate artificial feuds, it comes at a cost.

Finally, I’m sorry to hear that Jeff has some health issues. I hope he recovers fully so that he can dedicate his full efforts to the high school beat.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Jeff was at his peak covering the Whalers. He was an outstanding hockey writer.
Does he ever write about the UConn hockey team at all or is that team under his boycott umbrella?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom