Jeff Jacobs Sits Down w GDL | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Jeff Jacobs Sits Down w GDL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This is the first time I've heard on OC say his offense should be a complement to the kicking game, although it explains a lot. And I guess it turns out we're lucky to have him since he left a pretty good job in Miami to come here out of pure loyalty to the University. One thing that is pretty clear from this article it's that he has no intentions of changing anything. He thinks he's doing every thing right.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Great read and I appreciate Jacobs taking the time to ask him the tough questions. DeLeone is a grown man who makes lots of money to produce results. He has not. Playing the woulda coulda shoulda game, if his offense scores one more touchdown in the NC State and Temple games, UConn is in a good position to get to a bowl game. And maybe the team wouldn't have come out so flat against Sorrycuse last week.

I appreciate his honesty, OK. But coaching at a major level is cutthroat and when you don't produce, you don't have a job. The OC needs a change ASAP.

pj

Reaction Score
"I'm here every morning at 5 o'clock and I go home at midnight," DeLeone said.... "We don't do this by the seat of our pants. We study it 18 hours a day during game week."

Gotta agree, if true this is a self-destructive schedule. No one can perform adequately with so little sleep.

Maybe he needs more faith in those under him and in the players, and to relax a little.

But I doubt it's true.

Reaction Score
"....I have been in these situations long enough......"
Ya, we know you've been in these situations long enough George, that's why you need to go. You were in these situations last year, while you were OC at Temple, and while you were OC at Syracuse. THAT'S THE FECUNDITYING PROBLEM! YOU CAN'T GET YOURSELF OUT OF THESE SITUATIONS.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
The sad thing is he said he's there at 5AM and leaves at Midnight...And we get THIS offense every week?!?

So what? The season is 12 weeks long, lots of people do this all year. The real question is, what were you doing from December to August???

Reaction Score
wow, this I'm sure was a Uconn Athletic Department propaganda effort and instead make them look even worse. If this signals that this stafff will be in place next year, then we can kiss any semblance of a competitive team goodbye. Makes it easier to not go to games and sell my 12 tickets to Michigan fans and MD fans next year and give the rest away to charity or something.

Its really hard to lose die-hard fans, but now i know what its like to be an Orioles fan, or a Royals fan...maybe if no one shows up for the last two home games the message will be sent.

Reaction Score
I give GDL credit for talking to JJ. It takes a man to face the music. Have to respect him for that, plus I don't doubt he wants the best for UConn.

That said, he should do the honorable thing and fall on his sword. Not worth rebutting every quote, and rehashing the fact he hasn't been associated with a successful college football offense since 2001. The bottom line is this program has to cleanse itself of the - gag - "don't want to get behind the chains" mentality and move back into the 21st century. It's like worrying about getting hurt; the more you worry about it the higher the likelihood it's going to happen.

The Horde (not just Desmond and Jacobs) is starting to peddle this "been told reliably that PP will return for a third year" meme. That's all well and good, but we don't have to keep subsidizing this disaster. Our family can just as easily target our UConn donation to another part of the school. It will take a West Virginia-Holgorsen-Luck style coaching move to get me to renew my tickets. It's not fun going to games with no trust in the coaches to do the right thing in crucial situations. If this board can dig up up-and-comers like Neal Brown who have a proven. recent track record of building productive offenses, it shouldn't be that difficult for Mr. Manuel to do the same.

Reaction Score
You read this and there is only one conclusion you can reach. George and Pasqualoni concluded that UConn had almost no talent on the offensive side of the football. So the best thing to do was play defense and play close to the vest on offense and hope for the best. Not that different from how Edsall played it really, with 3 exceptions. they haven't gotten take-aways on defense, they don't have the stud running back and the kicking game has not been as good. But if they in fact believe this, it seems to me that they should just go with younger players, the rest of the way. Play Tebucky. Play Joe Williams more. Play the younger o-linemen, Cruz and the freshman tackle everyone is so high on. See what they can do and give them some experience. Maybe it pays off in next season. This year is a total washout. We maybe get 1 more win. If you look at the recruiting these guys did, it actually does suggest that they felt that way. They brought in a JUCO quarterback, a JUCO tight end, a transfer receiver, and tried to land another in the kid from Clemson. they also took a transfer on the line. I'm not saying they were right or wrong, but I don't think there is any question that's what they thought. FWIW, its consistent with what they have been telling Dez, too, I think.

Reaction Score
The real shame in it is that he has produced effective offense for us multiple times, he just inexplicably abandons what's working every time.

You mean like running the Wildcat after a big gain?

Mike Greenberg was bitching about the Wildcat and the Jets this morning. He sounded like one of us complaining about P and D. He basically said that they weren't even running the Wildcat and they were just snapping the ball to Tebow and getting nothing for it. There is also no rhyme or reason to when it makes an appearance..

Reaction Score
You read this and there is only one conclusion you can reach. George and Pasqualoni concluded that UConn had almost no talent on the offensive side of the football. So the best thing to do was play defense and play close to the vest on offense and hope for the best. Not that different from how Edsall played it really, with 3 exceptions. they haven't gotten take-aways on defense, they don't have the stud running back and the kicking game has not been as good. But if they in fact believe this, it seems to me that they should just go with younger players, the rest of the way. Play Tebucky. Play Joe Williams more. Play the younger o-linemen, Cruz and the freshman tackle everyone is so high on. See what they can do and give them some experience. Maybe it pays off in next season. This year is a total washout. We maybe get 1 more win. If you look at the recruiting these guys did, it actually does suggest that they felt that way. They brought in a JUCO quarterback, a JUCO tight end, a transfer receiver, and tried to land another in the kid from Clemson. they also took a transfer on the line. I'm not saying they were right or wrong, but I don't think there is any question that's what they thought. FWIW, its consistent with what they have been telling Dez, too, I think.

Hate to say it but I agree with this post... And this is at all no disrespect to our current core of players. We all know that our roster over the past 5, 6 years has consisted of kids that, at best, were mid level 3 star kids or lower... We gotta do a better job of bringing in more talented kids... Everybody else is, no? We're no longer the new kid on the block. We are the soon to be veteran team in the Big East. We need to start recruiting with the likes of USF, Louisville, Rutgers, & Cincy.. No more excuses guys... start bringing in the kids we need to bring in to get this team to where it needs to/should be.

Reaction Score

I'd be willing to buy in to their thinking and wait a little longer if recruiting was more than marginally better than it was under the previous staff. It's not. Keeping P and GDL will be a monumental mistake.

Reaction Score
Jacobs had me at "...Picked at his play-calling enough that Randy Edsall would have gone Rain Man repeating execution and things, execution and things, execution and …" LOL comical but true

That was EXTREMELY funny.

Reaction Score
GDL: "When there's a cover-2 and there's five underneath defenders waiting for you to throw the ball quick, what do you do now?

I don't know, maybe throw the ball quick to an open receiver? Maybe he should ask some MAC teams what they do in that situation.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
You read this and there is only one conclusion you can reach. George and Pasqualoni concluded that UConn had almost no talent on the offensive side of the football. So the best thing to do was play defense and play close to the vest on offense and hope for the best.
This is the key right here, and where I have the biggest mental disconnect. We never had the most talented kids, but we've had success. Kids were coached up, now it feels like they are coached down.

Did we really recruit that poorly that we had worse than average talent when P and GDL came in? Was Edsall asleep at the wheel? I just don't understand how we can be lacking SO much talent to be THIS bad.

Reaction Score
GDL: "When there's a cover-2 and there's five underneath defenders waiting for you to throw the ball quick, what do you do now?

I don't know, maybe throw the ball quick to an open receiver? Maybe he should ask some MAC teams what they do in that situation.

Yesterday P said that defenses have been "slanting and moving" against us which makes things difficult for our offense. He actually used the word "moving", defenses are moving. On the same day DeLeone asks what do you do when there is a cover 2.

Combined these guys are making about 2 million per year.

Reaction Score
I took a couple things away from this, and none of them are good.

First, GDL stated the obvious that they lost 2 mainstays on the OL in Mike Ryan and Moe Petrus but in the next breath says that he didn't anticipate that would be an impact to this year's line? You lose your 2 best linemen at the 2 most important positions on the OL.......and you didn't anticipate that may be a problem this year? Hello?

Secondly, I'm convinced now more than ever that this is a GDL teaching issue. The OL regressed in 2011 but was not completely incompetent. Foley was still coaching the OL. Now with GDL in total control of the offense and the OL, nobody knows what the fook to do. This was a disaster decision to give GDL the OL. It likely will cost P his job.

This guys needs to go. Do not keep him on staff and reassign him somewhere else. George DeLe-GONE.

Reaction Score
Yesterday P said that defenses have been "slanting and moving" against us which makes things difficult for our offense. He actually used the word "moving", defenses are moving. On the same day DeLeone asks what do you do when there is a cover 2.

Combined these guys are making about 2 million per year.

The defenses are also tackling, blitzing and intercepting. Goddamit. I wish they would stop doing that!

Reaction Score
The sad thing is he said he's there at 5AM and leaves at Midnight...And we get THIS offense every week?!?
He might as well leave at 5:00 and get some sleep. Those extra 7 hours a day are doing nothing. We can suck this bad with a PT Offensive Coordinator.

Reaction Score
It's not working. The dedication is admirable but the 16+ hour days only confirm that. That kind of time spent "studying" is for the preseason and specific game preparation. Now it should be shifted to working with the players. I'd like to say condense it down to what works but I don't know what that would be. You know, the "bread-and-butter" plays :p.

Reaction Score
The last time we lost 3 games in a row, we reeled off 4 straight wins and won a bowl game against an SEC team.

The last time we were so dysfunctional as team, that we got shut out and completely destroyed? We reeled of 5 straight win and went to a BCS game.

The last time we lost 4 games in a row? 2005. Nearly 7 years ago, was the last time we lost 4 in a row. We're going to have to go on the road in teh Big East game, to stop that from happening again.

We've traded a passive defensive scheme for an aggressive one. We've adjusted the kicking game to the new rules, and have the same returner, and a kickers that appear to be quite capable of the mental toughness required for those positions, and we've traded an offense that could run but couldn't pass, for an offense that can pass but can't run. We've traded one head coach with poor game time management, for a another coach with different poor game time management.

It's on the players and coaches to get this thing fixed and finish the season righ and get back to winning football.

It's on the administration to figure out what to do about the coaching staff if we continue to perpetuate a losing program.

Results speak for themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32