Jeff Jacobs: Searching For Answers As To Why UConn's Defense Is So Bad | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Jeff Jacobs: Searching For Answers As To Why UConn's Defense Is So Bad

Reaction Score
Sometimes it might make sense for the HC to take his frustrations with his coaches public, but most of the time its probably not the best strategic plan as it certainly would hurt recruiting and leave the defense in a worse place; right?

Edsall is an adult. I am sure he is disappointed in not only the play on the field, but the coaching and play calling on D as well. There is just no good reason to make that public.

But it's okay to do all of that when it comes to the players? And that doesn't hurt recruiting?

Reaction Score
Crocker has to man-up and stop hiding. Is he hanging out in Diaco's elevator? He should be accessible and explain what he is doing and his thoughts other than saying we need better players and they need to execute better. Some FCS coaches are capable of stepping up to FBS and others can't handle it and fail. Right now his midterm grade is an F.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
But it's okay to do all of that when it comes to the players? And that doesn't hurt recruiting?

With the right words, the right tact, yes I think its okay.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Crocker has to man-up and stop hiding. Is he hanging out in Diaco's elevator? He should be accessible and explain what he is doing and his thoughts other than saying we need better players and they need to execute better. Some FCS coaches are capable of stepping up to FBS and others can't handle it and fail. Right now his midterm grade is an F.

I agree. He should speak with the media. Get his message out there.

Reaction Score
With the right words, the right tact, yes I think its okay.
Crocker is already excused from having to answer to the media for his performance, so Edsall is giving him cover. Crocker is an adult too. He should be able to handle it with (as you say) the right words, the right tact.

Something like...

"I'm upset with the performance at all levels. Players, coaches, myself. We as a program have to get better. We have to recruit better, I have to do better. Coach Crocker and I obviously spend a lot of time together, he knows I'm not happy with our performance on that side of the ball. He's a professional, he wants to win, he's not happy with our performance either. We're working to recruit better, we're working to coach our guys up, and we're working to improve as coaches all the time."

If that's asking too much, then I guess we'll agree to disagree.

Reaction Score
I agree. He should speak with the media. Get his message out there.
He's not allowed to, that's why I'm coming down on Edsall for not addressing Crocker's performance. The players shouldn't have to address it when he himself doesn't.

Reaction Score
Crocker is already excused from having to answer to the media for his performance, so Edsall is giving him cover. Crocker is an adult too. He should be able to handle it with (as you say) the right words, the right tact.

Something like...

"I'm upset with the performance at all levels. Players, coaches, myself. We as a program have to get better. We have to recruit better, I have to do better. Coach Crocker and I obviously spend a lot of time together, he knows I'm not happy with our performance on that side of the ball. He's a professional, he wants to win, he's not happy with our performance either. We're working to recruit better, we're working to coach our guys up, and we're working to improve as coaches all the time."

Close: ;)

>>“I’m the head coach and I’m the guy responsible. If people want to take their shots at me, that’s fine, but I’ve made the decision that this is how we have to play offensively and defensively. Coaches are working their tails off, players are trying, but it isn’t going to happen overnight. We have to go recruit, get better. We have to take the guys we have and make them better, which is what we’re trying to do each and every day.”<<

I can't find the one right now where he talks about the coaches need to get better each week and put the players in a better position to win. It was post SMU/Memphis?

After the nonsensical babble the last three years - words are words for me ... actions/results are what counts in the end.

Reaction Score

>>“I’m the head coach and I’m the guy responsible. If people want to take their shots at me, that’s fine, but I’ve made the decision that this is how we have to play offensively and defensively. Coaches are working their tails off, players are trying, but it isn’t going to happen overnight. We have to go recruit, get better. We have to take the guys we have and make them better, which is what we’re trying to do each and every day.”<<

I can't find the one right now where he talks about the coaches need to get better each week and put the players in a better position to win. It was post SMU/Memphis?

After the nonsensical babble the last three years - words are words for me ... actions/results are what counts in the end.
It is close. I was too hard on him not taking enough accountability. I agree with you, results matter. My issue is with him providing cover for Crocker while calling out players. Crocker is an adult, make him available for the media, you can have a conversation with him explaining why. If he feels some type of way about it, remind him that both of their jobs are on the line, and handling the media is part of the job.

Reaction Score

You forgot to say "We have to love each other a little bit more and hold hands and say sweet nothings to each other".

Reaction Score
We can't cover. So we need to rush 4 guys and maybe 5 while on most plays we make the o-line unsure of who they have to block. Receivers need to be hit before they release to throw off timing. Rushing 3 with 8 yard cushions is not very smart Hogan.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom