Jeff Jacobs/Paul Doyle leave Courant for Hearst | The Boneyard

Jeff Jacobs/Paul Doyle leave Courant for Hearst

Reaction Score

>>Hearst Connecticut Media Group comprises eight daily newspapers in the state -- New Haven Register, Connecticut Post, The News-Times based in Danbury, Stamford Advocate, Norwalk Hour, Greenwich Time, The Middletown Press and The Register-Citizen based in Torrington - and more than a dozen weeklies and an array of digital products. It also owns gametimect.com, a website devoted to local high school sports.<<

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
He's gotta be the biggest name at the Courant, right? Huge blow. I grew up on him. Anthony is legit on the beat, but this will definitely take tons of readers from the Courant

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Courant doesn't have readers and the google end-around doomed any hope of paying customers on-line. How their tech folks never figured that out is beyond me

Not to mention that their online system makes your web browser crash half the time lol

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Not to mention that their online system makes your web browser crash half the time lol

Their website has sucked since the dawn of websites. It was an ongoing discussion way back in the mid 90’s on the old SG Whalers email list.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Courant doesn't have readers and the google end-around doomed any hope of paying customers on-line. How their tech folks never figured that out is beyond me

Or open on an incognito tab.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

I saw - I am fine with Jacobs but he looks like a complete idiot with that response.

Congress doesn't have the moral courage? What the hell would that even mean? Some bizarre argument that women's sports die if UConn women's basketball team is kept out of the P5 cartel?

There is no moral aspect with respect to whom is invited to an athletic conference.

There may be nothing more ridiculous at this point than the moral high ground that sportswriters try to claim on every topic. You write about sports for aging shrinking audiences - based on what they write they are cleaner than Jesus himself.

Reaction Score
I saw - I am fine with Jacobs but he looks like a complete idiot with that response.

Congress doesn't have the moral courage? What the hell would that even mean? Some bizarre argument that women's sports die if UConn women's basketball team is kept out of the P5 cartel?

There is no moral aspect with respect to whom is invited to an athletic conference.

Thought he was referring to the anti-competitive practice side of the argument but might be just my interpretation.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Thought he was referring to the anti-competitive practice side of the argument but might be just my interpretation.

There is no moral aspect to that either. It's not immoral that the Big 12 didn't expand. It was the reality that it didn't make them any more money.

How in the holy hell would it be in Congress' purview to decide who Texas Tech has to play sports against?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I miss when newspapers mattered.

Not sure how the Courant will overcome the loss of gems like this:

This is the most important game of the 2017 season for the UConn football program

What game do you think he said this about? Yep - you got it - Cincinnati. It's followed by hundreds of words that never even make an argument that it was the most important game of the season. He did manage to say that Diaco needed to go sooner than he was fired - so at least he had one epiphany. Imagine if he caught on as quick as anyone else with a room temperature IQ. Big talk when the guy has been gone for a year - maybe give us that bold take when it still matters.

Saturday at Cincinnati would be the time for them to show this. A win will bring hope. A stink bomb will stink for month and months.

This is so completely idiotic it's hard to believe. Win or lose that game had a shelf life of 24 hours. You've been writing about sports for decades and haven't realized yet the 12th game between two 3-8 teams is completely meaningless?

The business model is to get people and advertisers to pay for that? You better have some really smart people running your website - and if you do - you can monitize it with a lower overhead than recruiting mediocre writers with zero insight from other companies.

Reaction Score
There is no moral aspect to that either. It's not immoral that the Big 12 didn't expand. It was the reality that it didn't make them any more money.

How in the holy hell would it be in Congress' purview to decide who Texas Tech has to play sports against?
This has nothing to do with moral aspect. In every other business, cartels are illegal. The big 5 are an obvious cartel. A company can’t even talk to competitors re pricing , market allocation etc. just ask our many people in the insurance industry here in Ct. executives have gone to jail for the kind of collusion practiced by these 5 leagues.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
This has nothing to do with moral aspect. In every other business, cartels are illegal. The big 5 are an obvious cartel. A company can’t even talk to competitors re pricing , market allocation etc. just ask our many people in the insurance industry here in Ct. executives have gone to jail for the kind of collusion practiced by these 5 leagues.

LOL. You mean like the MLB, NFL and NBA 'cartels'?

Moral was Jacobs' qualifier not mine.

Reaction Score
LOL
@whaler11 is in the insurance industry, but i'm sure he knows nothing about regulations.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

IIRC, their media deal gave them an automatic increase if they added teams. Am I wrong on that?

I thought the issue was Texas flexing it's muscle combined with the prudent desire of not pissing off ESPN.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I hope the Courant crashes and burns - it's a rag that placates to only one side of the political spectrum and is paying the price
JJ is not a loss to any newspaper- I found him to be an arrogant jerk
The late Randy Smith of the JI was arrogant in life but found a way to temper it in his very well rounded writings - it's an art and something that JJ lacks but fits in well with the Courant

I thought it was only my computer that had the issues with my online subscription but I guess not - what makes me pissed is that I have called and emailed them dozens of times to help me with the online issue and get zero help/replies.

Time for a new daily (2 or 3 would be great!) in Hartford

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom