Jeff Jacobs latest | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Jeff Jacobs latest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
I don't see why that would be necessary since the BCS is already outside the NCAAs scope.

You're not getting me...

The NCAA now negotiates the contract for the NCAA Tournament. The contract is worth almost as much as the football contract for the BCS, but the money from it is shared amongst all of the NCAA's member schools, unlike the exclusive BCS club. Could the 4 superconferences just decide to have their own tournament? It certainly would be more appealing than what the NCAA could offer as an alternative, and the superconferences wouldn't have to share the money.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
You're not getting me...

The NCAA now negotiates the contract for the NCAA Tournament. The contract is worth almost as much as the football contract for the BCS, but the money from it is shared amongst all of the NCAA's member schools, unlike the exclusive BCS club. Could the 4 superconferences just decide to have their own tournament? It certainly would be more appealing than what the NCAA could offer as an alternative, and the superconferences wouldn't have to share the money.

Yes, they would split from the NCAA for all sports (including basketball).

Reaction Score
You're not getting me...

As long as they are part of the NCAA for their other sports, they cannot run their own tourney or playoffs. $300 million of the NCAAs yearly $700 million take goes toward expenses for setting up the playoffs for all other sports. So unless the big schools split totally from the NCAA, they can't do this. It's also the reason they don't allow the NCAA to run playoffs for football.

I would be LESS interested in a BCS-only NCAA tournament than the current tourney.

Reaction Score
Yes, they would split from the NCAA for all sports (including basketball).

That would be quite an undertaking. They would then have to set up something very similar to the NCAA that would organize championships for all other sports.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
From The Atlantic :

The greatest threat to the viability of the NCAA may come from its member universities. Many experts believe that the churning instability within college football will drive the next major change. President Obama himself has endorsed the drumbeat cry for a national playoff in college football. This past spring, the Justice Department questioned the BCS about its adherence to antitrust standards. Jim Delany, the commissioner of the Big Ten, has estimated that a national playoff system could produce three or four times as much money as the existing bowl system does. If a significant band of football schools were to demonstrate that they could orchestrate a true national playoff, without the NCAA’s assistance, the association would be terrified—and with good reason. Because if the big sports colleges don’t need the NCAA to administer a national playoff in football, then they don’t need it to do so in basketball. In which case, they could cut out the middleman in March Madness and run the tournament themselves. Which would deprive the NCAA of close to $1 billion a year, more than 95 percent of its revenue. The organization would be reduced to a rule book without money—an organization aspiring to enforce its rules but without the financial authority to enforce anything.

Reaction Score
Butchy, I can't tell if we're talking past each other or if you don't agree or if you don't understand. I'm saying (and we had a whole thread on this the other day) that UConn really wants to be in the ACC for primarily for non-football reasons. We don't want to be an SEC type school. We want to be in a viable, stable league, which is why we would prefer not to stay in a revamped Big East. And as good as Navy or SMU is academically, we want to be with other elite public state schools.

After that, we will consider football as far as having access to the BCS (ACC>NNBE, which might lose its bid)... I just don't think access to football recruiting areas will be much of a factor for UConn deciding which conference to be in. (It's a different matter than for the Big East choosing which schools to accept, though even here the primary goal is keeping a BCS bid, hence the interest in Boise).
I know very well what you are saying. All I am saying is the ACC will not provide as much a benefit in the athletic department as the B1G or the Big XII. Nowhere near. The schools in the "new Big East" are up-and-comers. I think our potential with them in the athletic department is better than with the ACC. People can talk about this "elite school" stuff all they want. How come Vanderbilt is still in the SEC? Why is Stanford in the Pac-12??

Reaction Score
If the BCS schools went to a 16-team, 4 Conference (SEC,ACC,PAC-16, BiG), then the ACC would probably be the weak link in football. This could create almost as bad a scenario for us as now, if we ended up in the ACC. And there would be no wiggle room. Maybe it's a pipe-dream, but if we are going, I would love to see us in a stable conference- the BiG. Probably no chance, but it is my pipe-dream!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom