Jeff Jacobs: Future of UConn football isn’t clear | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Jeff Jacobs: Future of UConn football isn’t clear

Reaction Score
Six years of Paul Pasqualoni, Bob Diaco, Warde Manuel, and Jeff Hathaway before him, killed us a hell of a lot more than anything Boston College and Syracuse could do. Granted UConn is not in the ACC or B1G but the AAC is a very solid football conference. UConn football is not going the way of the Whalers. There were a lot of students there Thursday night and more fans than I expected to see. I really don't think the AAC could continue to be a success in football and basketball if UConn dropped football and left the conference. I'm very positive on UConn athletics going forward with a great group of coaches in Penders, Edsall, Geno and Hurley, and for the first time ever all are under a Director of Athletics who knows what he is doing. Hopefully the next UConn president will realize how important athletics are to the University and the state, and will try to repair the problems with neighbor schools and P5 college presidents.
Husky Rob has got it right. I would add that once UConn gets back to where it belongs nationally in men's basketball and football, the B10 or ACC may come calling.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
...and once again we see how divided the fan base is. Geographically, basketball onlies, football onlies. Lord knows the school has been knifed in the back and made some poor decisions but the fanbase, as represented by this board, is every bit as dysfunctional.

Reaction Score
And that’s why the all of the idiots who live in Fairfield county don’t go to weekday games. Dumbest people in the world live here.
Easy to see that you live in Fairfield County. Lol

Reaction Score
And if we were competitive people would take a half day or otherwise come. But when the team basically stinks they won’t.

Reaction Score
Husky Rob has got it right. I would add that once UConn gets back to where it belongs nationally in men's basketball and football, the B10 or ACC may come calling.
It all depends on whether or not the idiots with jobs in Fairfield County get caught in traffic driving up, or just make a wrong turn somewhere.

Reaction Score
I am usually a big Jacobs fan. That column disappointed me. We know all that, Jeff. Write something forward looking. I know the editors usually write the headline, but with a headline like that I was expecting something we didn'y know or at least some insight into possible future scenarios.

Reaction Score
We have 5-6years to get to a winning program. If we are not chosen for a power conference in 2023, we should pack it in. Until then we need be all in to will this program to the next level

Be all in if you enjoy having FBS Football, because there is no guarantee that on field results will ever equal conference membership.

Reaction Score
From Chip Malafronte’s Sunday Gravy Column this morning:

>>It’s pretty much been all downhill since UConn football reached its zenith at the 2011 Fiesta Bowl. The tone for its precipitous drop was set in the first move by the school after Randy Edsall left for Maryland. UConn could have hired offensive coordinator Joe Moorhead. Instead, Paul Pasqualoni got the job and he quickly demoted Moorhead to quarterbacks coach.

Things worked out just fine for Moorhead, long considered a rising young coaching star. He left UConn later that year to become head coach at Fordham, where his success led to a job as Penn State’s offensive coordinator. He’s now the head coach at No. 18 Mississippi State.

Eight years later, UConn football is still trying to pick up the pieces.<<

Sigh...

Reaction Score
Big f....ing deal, they can't take a half day for ONE Thursday night game during the season? F.....km. ☺️
And, since there is no need to stay for the whole game people who have to work the next day and live in Fairfield County can get home by 11pm if they leave at halftime.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Why are people blaming Randy Edsall for the mess? The way he left was lousy but he didn't owe any loyalty to UConn. He took the UConn program to places many of us thought could never happen. I was at the ND game in 2009 and the Domers were ridiculing me for being a UConn fan but I was able to have the last laugh. I could never have imagined UConn going into Notre Dame stadium and coming out with a win. I thank RE for that. I'm glad he is back. The PP and BD s@#tshow was not RE's fault. Also, the entire driving time narrative has to go away. At worst its a two hour one way drive from anywhere in the state. That is at least what most people around the country drive to watch their team play a home game. As a midwest transplant who has gone to many Big10 games my only suggestion for UConn is if they ever get good again and money is available(two big ifs, I know) they should build a stadium on campus. They'll get bigger student attendance numbers and alumni love going back to campus for games. Enough open space for parking and tailgating is preferrable, too. I know it's a pipe dream but I read so many complaints about the Rent that I hope it will happen some day.

Reaction Score
Why are people blaming Randy Edsall for the mess? The way he left was lousy but he didn't owe any loyalty to UConn. He took the UConn program to places many of us thought could never happen. I was at the ND game in 2009 and the Domers were ridiculing me for being a UConn fan but I was able to have the last laugh. I could never have imagined UConn going into Notre Dame stadium and coming out with a win. I thank RE for that. I'm glad he is back. The PP and BD s@#tshow was not RE's fault. Also, the entire driving time narrative has to go away. At worst its a two hour one way drive from anywhere in the state. That is at least what most people around the country drive to watch their team play a home game. As a midwest transplant who has gone to many Big10 games my only suggestion for UConn is if they ever get good again and money is available(two big ifs, I know) they should build a stadium on campus. They'll get bigger student attendance numbers and alumni love going back to campus for games. Enough open space for parking and tailgating is preferrable, too. I know it's a pipe dream but I read so many complaints about the Rent that I hope it will happen some day.
The perception is that he left UConn with an empty cupboard. That and his stealth are one of the reason people blame him Someone has to be blamed, after all. But reading thousands of posts, pretty much the prime actors are Hathaway, Edsall, Blumenthal, Manuel, Herbst, Pasqualoni, and Diaco. Add to that BC, FSU, and Cuse, all state legislators, and the population of Connecticut and that pretty much sums everything up.

Reaction Score
And, since there is no need to stay for the whole game people who have to work the next day and live in Fairfield County can get home by 11pm if they leave at halftime.
Oh yeah, and all their games are at night during the week. Brilliant.

Reaction Score
Buddy, I would bet a months salary that you haven't been to a UConn football or basketball game in around 40 years. ☺️

Reaction Score
From Chip Malafronte’s Sunday Gravy Column this morning:

>>It’s pretty much been all downhill since UConn football reached its zenith at the 2011 Fiesta Bowl. The tone for its precipitous drop was set in the first move by the school after Randy Edsall left for Maryland. UConn could have hired offensive coordinator Joe Moorhead. Instead, Paul Pasqualoni got the job and he quickly demoted Moorhead to quarterbacks coach.

Things worked out just fine for Moorhead, long considered a rising young coaching star. He left UConn later that year to become head coach at Fordham, where his success led to a job as Penn State’s offensive coordinator. He’s now the head coach at No. 18 Mississippi State.

Eight years later, UConn football is still trying to pick up the pieces.<<

Sigh...
I don't blame Moorhead one bit for grabbing the Fordham job when he did. Moorhead and Edsall recruited Mike Nebrich who had broken every passing record in the State of Virginia, and when PP came on board he pretty much relegated Nebrich to the sidelines in favor of walk on trick shot artist Johnny McEntee. Moorhead resigned that December and Nebrich became the Fordham QB the following Fall. Bad luck for Nebrich though when he blew his knee.

Reaction Score
Easier to move the campus to East Hartford.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom