Jeff Jacobs: Future of UConn football isn’t clear | The Boneyard

Jeff Jacobs: Future of UConn football isn’t clear

Reaction Score
I’ll save some guys the trouble...drop football and go back tj the Big East.

Here’s the thing though. Attendance correlates pretty well to winning. And attendance at sporting events is down almost across the board. Every conference but the Big 10 saw attendance decline last year. And the Bigs increase was driven by a couple of long time losers having above average years

Reaction Score
Totally unproductive article intended to gain attention. Yes, Jeff, I give damn and a lot of people do. Yes, attendance is down. Yes, 17,000 empty seats sounds terrible, but that means 23,000 seats were filled on a Thursday night before Labor Day weekend. Yes, Yale has one game with 51,000 last year...BFD.

Reaction Score
I’ll save some guys the trouble...drop football and go back tj the Big East.

Here’s the thing though. Attendance correlates pretty well to winning. And attendance at sporting events is down almost across the board. Every conference but the Big 10 saw attendance decline last year. And the Bigs increase was driven by a couple of long time losers having above average years
He wasn't saying drop football, he's just pissed off at the apathy in the state towards UConn Football, especially the western third of the state. From Brookfield and Newtown to Greenwich to Milford and Stratford. He also took a shot at Edsall for bolting to Maryland after the Fiesta Bowl and letting PP and Dicko ruin the program.

Reaction Score
They paid him to write that.... crazy.

He loves throwing in random towns. From Barkhamsted to Thompsonville to Ansonia!
How could he leave out the Middlesex Chamber of Commerce?!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
How could he leave out the Middlesex Chamber of Commerce?!

The Register must have especially stupid readers because he frames everything in a New Haven context as if the people who live there are too stupid to do it for themselves.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Hi Jeff! 70% of your story is ripped straight from the Yard, nice!

Reaction Score
The product is bad right now. I don't feel like I'm watching an FBS team half the time. There's never the faintest inkling that they might beat a good team or even come close. No suspense, no drama, not much you're paying to see right now other than the laundry. Getting to the games is a chore for most people and for the students all the parties are 45 minutes away. Bama could come to town and it's not fixing any of this.

The most overused explanation I hear is that it's more comfortable to stay at home. That's always been the case. People aren't skipping the games because they want to watch on TV. Sure, it's a small factor, but not a big one. It's like saying oh my favorite artist is in town, I'm good though because I have spotify. Maybe things are different on the yard but most normal people, provided they don't have kids, are looking for reasons to leave their house rather than stay there.

There are still plenty of reasons to go. It's a nice stadium, you're still watching amazing athletes, the feeling of being at a football game will never truly get old, it's your school, and there's always the chance that good things can happen. But a lot of that goes out the window when you charge outrageous prices and don't seem to appreciate the fact that your business is a de facto charity sustained only by people who like being supportive. It's like lashing out at the people who fill your tip jar because you think you should be playing at the Apollo Theater. Chill out and stop taking your fans for foot soldiers. They're smart enough to recognize lowered prices as hopefully temporary while you build this into something worth watching.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The product is bad right now. I don't feel like I'm watching an FBS team half the time. There's never the faintest inkling that they might beat a good team or even come close. No suspense, no drama, not much you're paying to see right now other than the laundry. Getting to the games is a chore for most people and for the students all the parties are 45 minutes away. Bama could come to town and it's not fixing any of this.

The most overused explanation I hear is that it's more comfortable to stay at home. That's always been the case. People aren't skipping the games because they want to watch on TV. Sure, it's a small factor, but not a big one. It's like saying oh my favorite artist is in town, I'm good though because I have spotify. Maybe things are different on the yard but most normal people, provided they don't have kids, are looking for reasons to leave their house rather than stay there.

There are still plenty of reasons to go. It's a nice stadium, you're still watching amazing athletes, the feeling of being at a football game will never truly get old, it's your school, and there's always the chance that good things can happen. But a lot of that goes out the window when you charge outrageous prices and don't seem to appreciate the fact that your business is a de facto charity sustained only by people who like being supportive. It's like lashing out at the people who fill your tip jar because you think you should be playing at the Apollo Theater. Chill out and stop taking your fans for foot soldiers. They're smart enough to recognize lowered prices as hopefully temporary while you build this into something worth watching.

Not for nothing but they sell a $90 season ticket - I kill them on pricing but if you want to get in for pennies you can.

Reaction Score
I especially liked the line about it's not the conference, it's the perception of the conference amongst people in CT. We just had that conversation here. At least SBNation gave me credit in their article

Reaction Score

Given that this place chews on everything UCONN it would be hard to write a story that didn't seem like a re-hash of something someone said in the Boneyard. This community should take it as a compliment and not be so pig headed about it.

I thought the crowd surprised to the upside yesterday especially the students who were great. People still care and I think this guilting them to show up is actually working a bit.

My favorite part of the article:

"I do know it’s the not AAC’s fault. There are good teams and — here’s a scoop — some of those Big East teams weren’t as good as you remember. It’s our state’s perception of the AAC that’s a problem". - Bingo

Last edited:

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Given that this place chews on everything UCONN it would be hard to write a story that didn't seem like a re-hash of something someone said in the Boneyard. This community should take it as a compliment and not be so pig headed about it.

I thought the crowd surprised to the upside yesterday especially the students who were great. People still care and I think this guilting them to show up is actually working a bit.
I’m razzing dude, not pissed.

But of all the beat writers, Jeff's Stories most parrallel the Yard. That last one had a ton of stuff that was on the Yard in the past 24 hrs.

Reaction Score
There are many empty seats at Stanford's stadium tonight but they are in a Power 5 conference so it doesn't matter. The students did a good job last night. UCF had quite a few fans considering the distance. Folks are tired of losing, it's that simple.

Reaction Score
My favorite part of the article:

"I do know it’s the not AAC’s fault. There are good teams and — here’s a scoop — some of those Big East teams weren’t as good as you remember. It’s our state’s perception of the AAC that’s a problem". - Bingo

I wrote that almost word for word here a few days ago

Reaction Score

It would be great if you sent a copy of this to Benedict. Well said.

Reaction Score
Hmm are you Jacobs?
It was me the whole time

tenor.gif

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member