Jeff Jacobs Editorial On CD and HOF | The Boneyard

Jeff Jacobs Editorial On CD and HOF

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I find it a powerful essay.

"Dailey has dedicated her entire being to the game. No cheating her, no cheating yourself. She changes players on the court for four years. She changes players off the court forever.

The voting for the Basketball Hall of Fame remains an uncomfortable, secret process. As a member of the Baseball Writers’ Association of America, I have a Hall of Fame vote. I make my ballot for Cooperstown public. As painful as the criticism can be, there is something therapeutic in the transparency. In basketball, the voters and their ballots are unknown. This much should be known.

At a time when the Basketball Hall of Fame has a chance to publicly regain a moral ballast and give assistant coaches their overdue due, Dailey is the perfect candidate in an imperfect system."

Jeff Jacobs: UConn’s Chris Dailey deserves to be in Hall of Fame

I'll never forget Dee on CD: "D tie your laces. D do this. D don't do that. D D D For 4 years I hated her. Now I love her."

Dee's funny little quote notwithstanding, CD's coaching presence is very real and impactful and Geno has reminded us time and time again that he could never have been Geno if CD wasn't CD. She deserves the recognition. I'll fall over if it happens.

Reaction Score
sounds like Jacobs is mixing a couple of issues: transparency of voting and whether an associate coach merits HoF status.

Voting transparency cuts both ways, of course, as it can be a chilling effect on voting your principles, instead of what might make you acceptable to others. That's why as a country we believe in the secret ballot.

As to whether CD deserves to be in the HoF, of course, to UConn fans it's a no-brainer. But she's chosen to be a lifetime assoc. coach, rather than be a head coach somewhere else. So, we can't assess her won/lost record fairly. And that opens up the category to all other assoc. coaches at all levels of the sport. And how do we judge someone who was (say) an amazing assoc. coach for 20 years but turns out to be a mediocre head coach? Personally, I still believe there's room for CD in the Hall, for the good she's done the sport (which IS a criterion for election). But I understand the other side of the argument.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
sounds like Jacobs is mixing a couple of issues: transparency of voting and whether an associate coach merits HoF status.

Voting transparency cuts both ways, of course, as it can be a chilling effect on voting your principles, instead of what might make you acceptable to others. That's why as a country we believe in the secret ballot.

As to whether CD deserves to be in the HoF, of course, to UConn fans it's a no-brainer. But she's chosen to be a lifetime assoc. coach, rather than be a head coach somewhere else. So, we can't assess her won/lost record fairly. And that opens up the category to all other assoc. coaches at all levels of the sport. And how do we judge someone who was (say) an amazing assoc. coach for 20 years but turns out to be a mediocre head coach? Personally, I still believe there's room for CD in the Hall, for the good she's done the sport (which IS a criterion for election). But I understand the other side of the argument.
Hello everyone I am brand new to this forum. It would be nice to add that besides her 11 championships as a coach CD also won a national title as a player at Rutgers.

Reaction Score
Hello everyone I am brand new to this forum. It would be nice to add that besides her 11 championships as a coach CD also won a national title as a player at Rutgers.
So @Bascomfan - do you live in St. Croix now? Trying to get a straight answer from a hotel we stayed at in St. Thomas about their (and the island’s) anticipated preparedness for tourists for the Paradise Jam tournament this coming Thanksgiving. “We hope....” is the best I can get out of them. What say you?

Last edited:

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score

Welcome.

I got a chance to have a nice chat with Kerry recently, so appreciate your name.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
CD is great but no HOFer. Being a longtime assistant means you didn't take a chance, played it safe. That's not a HOF characteristic in my book.

Reaction Score
So @Bascomfan - do you live in St. Croix now? Trying to get a straight answer from a hotel we stayed at in St. Thomas about their (and the island’s) anticipated preparedness for tourists for the Paradise Jam tournament this coming Thanksgiving. “We hope....” is the best I can get out of them. What say you?
Yes I do live in St. Croix right now and we are still recovering from hurricane Maria but I would like to go to St. Thomas for the Paradise jam . I am only a ferry ride or seaplane flight away. Hopefully it is still on.

Reaction Score
CD is great but no HOFer. Being a longtime assistant means you didn't take a chance, played it safe. That's not a HOF characteristic in my book.
How in the world would you know why CD decided to remain as the assistant and now associate head coach? Playing it safe? Can you quote where you read this? Otherwise this comment doesn’t belong here.

Reaction Score
How in the world would you know why CD decided to remain as the assistant and now associate head coach? Playing it safe? Can you quote where you read this? Otherwise this comment doesn’t belong here.

He doesn't know. He's expressing an opinion, which is what we all do here. His comment
belongs here no less than yours. (IMO)

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I don't understand why I need a "quote" to make my opinion more or less salient. It doesn't matter why she made the decisions she did. Isn't keeping with the status quo a definition of playing it safe? I'm not saying the choices CD made were wrong or bad, they were the right choices for her. She's great at what she does and probably would have been a success if she chose to go out on her own. But she didn't. If she takes over for Geno and wins a title as the HC and you roll that up with the rest of her resume, now we can talk HOF.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I don't understand why I need a "quote" to make my opinion more or less salient. It doesn't matter why she made the decisions she did. Isn't keeping with the status quo a definition of playing it safe? I'm not saying the choices CD made were wrong or bad, they were the right choices for her. She's great at what she does and probably would have been a success if she chose to go out on her own. But she didn't. If she takes over for Geno and wins a title as the HC and you roll that up with the rest of her resume, now we can talk HOF.

I'll just note in passing that CD wanted the RU head job and would have taken it. Didn't happen. Yes, she's had other offers and turned them down. Think about it: you are treated as and act as an equal by and with the Coach and everyone else in WCBB's non-pareil program. You make more than about a dozen coaches in your game. You do this in the women's basketball capital of the world. Maybe no inference of you played it safe should be drawn?

But you are entirely entitled to your voice, with or without foot note @Waquoit I just chose to disagree as it pertains to CD.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
20 years ago, there was similar sentiment that Leo Mazzone, as a pitching coach of the Braves should also be given his due and that the Baseball HOF should think about its criteria to enshrine pitching coaches. That debate died down due to the fact that Leo was not the most qualified (anyone remember their bullpens???) and fizzled in Baltimore when he took over. My point its, it is tough to properly grade any assistant coach on what they accomplish vs. what the HC/Manager does. The NBA talks about it regularly as contributors-Tex Winter comes to mind. CD absolutely deserves strong consideration, but once that door is open, how do you qualify an assistant. Holly Warlick was part of all 8 titles at Tennessee-would she be considered? I honestly don't know if Holly is qualifed as an assistant or not, I do know as a HC, I am not in favor.

We, here on the board, have an admiration, respect and awe of what CD brings every day to all 12-14 women and the support staff. But how would the voters know? So, maybe, the qualification could be as a contributor as I am sure she was part of all the USA basketball titles as well by being behind the scenes. Either way, we here, know what she brings and yes, the way DT gave that interview was priceless on CD!!!

Reaction Score
Just to pick a nit, it was not an editorial, as the headline suggested, but an opinion column. Editorials are expressions of the opinion of the news organization. Commonly misused word.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Andy Landers commented about CD that, “She’s best known for holding Geno back.” He then went on to compliment CD more sincerely for all her contributions to UConn WBB.

Reaction Score
He doesn’t do any of it without her, and he absolutely knows and has expressed that.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'll just note in passing that CD wanted the RU head job and would have taken it.
He doesn’t do any of it without her, and he absolutely knows and has expressed that.

So if CD got the Rutgers job, UConn would not have gone on winning titles? Not sure I buy that.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
So if CD got the Rutgers job, UConn would not have gone on winning titles? Not sure I buy that.

My only point was CD isn't hiding at UConn. She's in a pressure packed job. Sure, she makes over 300 grand in the premier #2 job in her sport, wins championships and is popular with an adoring fan base. So, she's said, I'm not leaving until something better comes along. Now, late in a terrific career, she's happy where she is doing what she's doing and it is very hard to argue with that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom