Jeff Jacobs: Dan Hurley loves UConn fans, just not those Twitter “crazies” | The Boneyard

Jeff Jacobs: Dan Hurley loves UConn fans, just not those Twitter “crazies”

Reaction Score

Kitchen door access

>>“We have one of the most knowledgeable and passionate fan bases in all of college basketball,” Hurley said. “Our fan base is one of our biggest selling points with our recruits. And you see how I engage them. I was talking to the one percent that were viciously attacking Al. He’s not the starting guard for the Celtics. You can’t tweet profanity-laced tirades at 18- to 21-year olds if he doesn’t play up to what you hope he would do.

“I think people who attack kids on social media like that should put their full name on Twitter, where they work, put all your personal information up.”

One thought here: You wonder if something like this could be used by schools in recruiting as an example that UConn is a place where fans can eat a player up and spit him out?

“There are places for fans to discuss topics related to tactics and strategies,” Hurley said. “If a player isn’t playing in a way that will allow UConn to win, send it my way. Or tweet at me. I’ll gladly trend. That’s what they pay me for, to be accountable for how the team performs. The haters can come my way.<<

Reaction Score
One thought here: You wonder if something like this could be used by schools in recruiting as an example that UConn is a place where fans can eat a player up and spit him out?

These are the kind of comments by some guy that irate the heck out of me. I don't condone what was said on twitter about Gilbert and love that Hurley stood up for his player. But does some guy think that Kentucky fans on twitter don't get after their players (see Evansville game) or Kansas or Duke fans. It's awful behavior, but all fan bases have them. This is not just isolated to UConn. Heck, these could be fans of other teams posting this.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I happen to fully agree with him pertaining to Gilbert.

but is coach asking me to tweet at him? That never ends well. I make shirts.

I’m happy in our own little corner of madness here.

Reaction Score
Dude’s too wordy. I wrote that yesterday, much more succinctly and without the tortured reach on the “I wonder.” No one wonders that because it’s dumb, and every fanbase has an element of that, embarrassing as it is.

Yeah, the whole point of his comments was to take the focus off Gilbert. Now, those people who were all in their feelings can just shift it over to be mad at the coach. He can take it, plus he gets paid a ton to do it.

Reaction Score
There is a handful of nutnobs in each fan base and twitter is their playground. This is not a UConn problem. This is just the latest example. While Hurley is right, he made the issue very public and now Jacobs is amplifying it even more. At this rate we will be on the ESPN news crawl on Thanksgiving.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

These are the kind of comments by some guy that irate the heck out of me. I don't condone what was said on twitter about Gilbert and love that Hurley stood up for his player. But does some guy think that Kentucky fans on twitter don't get after their players (see Evansville game) or Kansas or Duke fans. It's awful behavior, but all fan bases have them. This is not just isolated to UConn. Heck, these could be fans of other teams posting this.

This will be used on the recruiting trail, but by the UConn staff themselves. "See how our coach got you? We got your back at UConn". Recruits love this sh it. It's why kids loved Jim Calhoun too.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
I’m surprised Hurley is making this big of a deal out of it. Has Hurley ever seen SEC football twitter? There are thousands of people bad mouthing teenagers, calling for coaches heads on their own teams. Uconn Twitter is tame imo.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
People tend to forget that fan is short for "fanatic".

It's hard to be a fan and be rational after a frustrating loss, but folks need to remember these guys are representing OUR University and want the same thing... Wins, success, and championships. The players personally invest more time and energy than any fans do... they're frustrated more than anyone when they don't perform. Seeing hateful comments on social media or elsewhere adds salt to the wound.

Fans need the perspective to remember these are college kids. It's okay to be critical, but fans should always be respectful. That includes us here on the 'yard.

Reaction Score
It's awful behavior, but all fan bases have them. This is not just isolated to UConn. Heck, these could be fans of other teams posting this.

Don't disagree about other fan bases in all college sports. Some of what Hurley is referencing is in Hurley's tweet below - expand a couple of comments and you'll see there are a few pure UConn fans that are proud of it.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
I’m surprised Hurley is making this big of a deal out of it. Has Hurley ever seen SEC football twitter? There are thousands of people bad mouthing teenagers, calling for coaches heads on their own teams. Uconn Twitter is tame imo.

That doesn't make it right.
Hurley has his own personal experience with depression as a player at Seton Hall so he can relate.

Reaction Score
Hurley is a passionate guy. Not reacting isn't in his nature. Glad he stood up for his player. If AG turns it around and truly leads this team to success, there won't be a better story to remember.

I trust in Hurley. Wouldn't want anyone else in his place. Perfect fit.

Reaction Score
I’m surprised Hurley is making this big of a deal out of it.

Because it’s an issue that’s both personal and important to him. The social media aspect is just one small part of this.

And, his guys get to sit back and watch him go off defending them. He coaches them hard, no one needs to worry about that- but there’s this part, too.

C

Chief00

It’s a better read if you take Hurley’s quotes and swap out any reference to Alterique and replace it with Chief.
Chief took a few incoming shots when I called Gilbert a “great kid” in my Briefs - and then doubled and tripled down on it. But, Coach Hurley is correct the likes to total reaction was at 88%. It’s just a small handful of negative guys, but they just keep repeating themselves and trying to steal the narrative. I am thrilled Dan Hurley called them out. Go Huskies!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score

I was going to reply with something exactly like that. Some guy should go check how other fan bases, probably every top 25 program, and see how they treat their players when things aren't going well. Doesn't make it right, but no school can use that to recruit against UConn since they do it also. That's a really stupid remark by some guy.

Reaction Score
Don't disagree about other fan bases in all college sports. Some of what Hurley is referencing is in Hurley's tweet below - expand a couple of comments and you'll see there are a few pure UConn fans that are proud of it.

Respect the Climb.

Reaction Score
Chief took a few incoming shots when I called Gilbert a “great kid” in my Briefs - and then doubled and tripled down on it. But, Coach Hurley is correct the likes to total reaction was at 88%. It’s just that the small handful of negative guys - but they just keep repeating themselves and trying to steal the narrative. I am thrilled Dan Hurley called them out. Go Huskies!
I think you need to see a therapist

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilmisangel

Top Bottom