Jeff Jacobs: Crocker’s message to UConn defense: ‘Challenge people, don’t be scared’ | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Jeff Jacobs: Crocker’s message to UConn defense: ‘Challenge people, don’t be scared’

C

Chief00

Those words came out of Randy's mouth. It's on video
When I posted it awhile ago it was what he said at practice. Not sure what video you are referring too. You seem behind the curve on things.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Should have none this defense wouldn’t work when Bob Diacos squad broke 20 vs Crocker’s Nova

Reaction Score
When I posted it awhile ago it was what he said at practice. Not sure what video you are referring too. You seem behind the curve on things.
You just don't know what words mean. You said someone "implied" that the four man front was just to show the offense different looks. No one "implied" anything. Edsall said it on video from one of the hoardes interviews. Now, whether or not that was truthful is a different story

C

Chief00

You just don't know what words mean. You said someone "implied" that the four man front was just to show the offense different looks. No one "implied" anything. Edsall said it on video from one of the hoardes interviews. Now, whether or not that was truthful is a different story
If I have tonight - I will pull up the post that shows your clueless.

Reaction Score

Courant Article: "UConn often used four down defensive linemen during Monday’s practice, a departure from its typical three, but Edsall said the intent there was merely to prepare the team’s offense to face opponents who play that way"

Reaction Score
I guess what Chief was seeing at various practices wasn’t preparing the offense for different looks as some implied.
Good to confirm the eye test still works - we are crowding receivers at the line and putting more guys in the box.

So it looks like the defense he actually ran at Villanova . . .

I wonder why he didn't run it that way last year?

Reaction Score
I’ve always been suspect of the 3-3-5 but now I get it. Crocker suffers from digital deficiency syndrome. He wraps up his practice with, “Huskies on two—1/2 /Huskies”. Looks like he’s a number short on the cheer and his D-line.

Reaction Score
So it looks like the defense he actually ran at Villanova . . .

I wonder why he didn't run it that way last year?
Apparently that's what the article is about.

I love the people that cried for a 4 man front, though, and then we ran it for a bunch of snaps and it improved nothing

C

Chief00

Ok - I see what you are up in arms about. I know what Edsall said for public consumption. However, the reason I used the word implied is he will effectively be playing a 4 man front. It may be a 3 man line with a linebacker effectively playing a floating DE on the line of scrimmage or a 4 man DL line - the result is the same - stuffing the box on the run and having 4 or more guys rush the passer.

Reaction Score
Ok - I see what you are up in arms about. I know what Edsall said for public consumption. However, the reason I used the word implied is he will effectively be playing a 4 man front. It may be a 3 man line with a linebacker effectively playing a floating DE on the line of scrimmage or a 4 man DL line - the result is the same - stuffing the box on the run and having 4 or more guys rush the passer.

Which is the same defense they used at times last year but w/ different (prayfully more effective) pieces this year. It’s no change other than player names.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I’ve always been suspect of the 3-3-5 but now I get it. Crocker suffers from digital deficiency syndrome. He wraps up his practice with, “Huskies on two—1/2 /Huskies”. Looks like he’s a number short on the cheer and his D-line.

Most of the coaches have been doing that...

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Which is the same defense they used at times last year but w/ different (prayfully more effective) pieces this year. It’s no change other than player names.

It's also what every 3-4 defense does. Drop both, rush one, rush both. That leaves them with 1 stay home MLB instead of two. It's not that crazy, if you've got a NT that makes running through that soft middle difficult and beefy DEs.

Curious to see how it plays out for us this year. Seems like the pieces work better.

C

Chief00

Say what you want - play whatever word games you desire but talk is cheap. A repeat of last season puts Crocker on the clock - and with Dave that doesn’t end well.

There will be more players in the box and not 10-15 yards away. Sure, Chief can break it down for you some more. Blitzing from 15-20 yards out is not real effective at the D1 level - so last year even when we sent more guys they could be picked up or it just took them too long. It seemed to me and quite frankly others that Billy had trouble adjusting to the speed of skilled players in the AAC. Therefore, he effectively played prevent defense.

It wasn’t just that certain players played scared, the coaching scheme was built on fear or scared.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
It seemed to me and quite frankly others that Billy had trouble adjusting to the speed of skilled players in the AAC. Therefore, he effectively played prevent defense

It seemed to me and quite frankly others in the business/media that Edsall/Crocker didn’t have the speed/depth on defense to compete with the speed of the skill players in the AAC - that’s why the staff went out and recruited over the previous roster to find them.

This year’s team is stronger and faster (albeit inexperienced). It will make a difference and provide more options.

Reaction Score
I’ll say it one more time — his defenses at Villanova blitzed from all different angles and jammed receivers at the line. He got here and stopped doing it. Why did Crocker change from his scheme when he got here? Still waiting for an answer, and it should be an obvious one.

Reaction Score
I’ll say it one more time — his defenses at Villanova blitzed from all different angles and jammed receivers at the line. He got here and stopped doing it. Why did Crocker change from his scheme when he got here? Still waiting for an answer, and it should be an obvious one.

Quite frankly, I’m not sure what you are getting at, so I’ll state both possible answers:

1. Too slow, not enough talent.
2. Randy shackled him.

Reaction Score
I heard he’s playing a four man front with three men. Really does it matter ? If the defense is strong I don’t care what he plays. If it stinks well...... I’m off the season ticket link

Reaction Score

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom